Hope this makes sense!

If you don't mind speakers that can be very screechy in an under damped room or have a lot of acoustic treatments and don't mind not having any low bass, La Scalas are good.  RF-7 II would be the other option and provide smoother sound though maybe not as fast.

Depends on how you define low bass. I wouldn't ask either speaker to do what I expect from a good sub.

I played a funky Fred Wesley track though a single La Scala and found it one of the most musical bass lines I'd ever heard. that has less to do with low frequency and more to do with the roundness, the fullness of the bass notes. If you think the Classic RF-7 or RF-7 is as good or better musically, please do let me know.

Anything under where the La Scala can do, maybe 60hz.  La Scala has punchy bass for what it does but not low enough to load a room.

I myself believe in a fully integrated full range speaker where ever possible.  External subs don't typically integrate as a whole as well as a design that is full range.  This full range can be a powered bass section which is adjustable but if the crossover has been designed to mesh with the mid-bass/mids, the sound is much more together in my opinion.  Shouldn't need a good sub 99.9% of the time... but that's just me.

I personally get annoyed when companies try to sell you on a big speaker for big bucks but then - OH you need to get a good sub.....bunk  :mellow:

As for your RF-7 vs RF-7 II question, 800 is good though pushing the horn down lower and providing less mids through 2-10s where it is muddled at the crossover point unless in a 2.5 way would push me to the IIs.

• Like 1

I myself believe in a fully integrated full range speaker where ever possible. External subs don't typically integrate as a whole as well as a design that is full range. This full range can be a powered bass section which is adjustable but if the crossover has been designed to mesh with the mid-bass/mids, the sound is much more together in my opinion. Shouldn't need a good sub 99.9% of the time

There is ALWAYS a compromise involved, period. To each his own where that lies however.

I myself believe in a fully integrated full range speaker where ever possible. External subs don't typically integrate as a whole as well as a design that is full range. This full range can be a powered bass section which is adjustable but if the crossover has been designed to mesh with the mid-bass/mids, the sound is much more together in my opinion. Shouldn't need a good sub 99.9% of the time

There is ALWAYS a compromise involved, period. To each his own where that lies however.

Absolutely.  They key is to hit a particular price point with acceptable trade offs.  Integration is one of my larger evils.  

Those are the ones. For that price I could hold out for a good deal on La Scala's or spend ~$450 for Forte II's.

I owned the Forte with Crites XO and heard the Forte, the RF 7 and 7 II's beat them in my system.  So, I got rid of the Forte which is no slouch and a great speaker.  The 7's are a more complete speaker than the LaScala.  They really don't need a sub where as, the La Scala should be paired with one.  The LaScala has a great midrange sound to make you forget about needing more bass.  Simply put, the RF 7, RF 7 Classic and RF 7 II's are just a great speaker.

• Like 1

Those are the ones. For that price I could hold out for a good deal on La Scala's or spend ~$450 for Forte II's.

I owned the Forte with Crites XO and heard the Forte, the RF 7 and 7 II's beat them in my system.  So, I got rid of the Forte which is no slouch and a great speaker.  The 7's are a more complete speaker than the LaScala.  They really don't need a sub where as, the La Scala should be paired with one.  The LaScala has a great midrange sound to make you forget about needing more bass.  Simply put, the RF 7, RF 7 Classic and RF 7 II's are just a great speaker.

I concur. Well put.

Tom