Kenwood head unit speakers are quiet but sub is working

The vehicle is a 2010 Honda Accord and the head unit is a Kenwood KMM-BT315U. I have tried two brand new ones, and get the same results. The internal amp is wired to the 4 speakers via the plugin on the back (grey,white,green,purple), and the SW output is connected with an RCA patch cord to the Sub amplifier. All speaker connections soldered and shrink tube protected. The head unit plays LFE through the sub, but no sound comes out of the speakers. One interesting point of note. The first head unit worked briefly, but when I accelerated the car for the first time, it momentarily stopped until I let off the gas. I could repeat this behavior every time I hit the gas! After a while, it simply never came back on. Now with a second head unit, it never did play through the speakers. This Kenwood is replacing a Pioneer head unit that was working fine. I did have to cut off the Pioneer harness and solder the Kenwood in it's place.

I did a DCR test on the speakers from the head unit connection point, and they check out as 4.0, 4.0, 4.6 and 4.6 Ohms. The polarity is correct on all the speakers. The red wire shows ~12.4VDC when the ignition is on, and the yellow wire shows ~12.4VDC always. The ground wire is good, and I even have a separate ground wire to the vehicle chassis. The front speakers are component and the rear are co-axial.

It's as though the head unit is configured as a preamp to be used with amplifiers for the speakers. I cannot find a setting where you tell the head unit you want to use the internal amp for the speakers instead of the preamp outs.

Does anybody have any idea what might be going on? Could the speakers themselves have something to do with this? Could they somehow be tripping a protection circuit in the head unit, and if so, why is the DCR normal on all the speakers?

Edited by mustang guy

Maybe means nothing, but when I wired my 2014 dodge truck I had the same problem. I was running speaker outputs to a LOC and then to my amps and could not get any sound. Found out that if the factory head unit did not see a load on the speaker output it would not send a signal. Tried a few different size resistors till I got it working. Also check your settings in the menu, sometimes even the best of us miss something simple.

• Like 1

I looked at the manual.  Did you turn on the speakers and properly set the size.  The manual shows you can set speakers to NONE for the front, rear, and SW.  Did you set the crossover settings and more importantly the gain of the front, rear, and SW?  The gain settings show you can virtually turn off any of these with a setting of 0.  The crossover and slope appear to have defaults based on the chosen speaker size.  However the gain may need to be turned up.

I finally tracked down the problem. The crossover on the front right speaker had corrosion. Oddly, it didn't test high DCR. Nevertheless, it was the culprit which sent the head unit into protect mode. The crossover fell down into the door and must have been laying in some salty water... Here is a picture:

rllPcFgh.jpg

I replaced the whole component system with a Hertz DSK 165.3 for $138. It sounds just as good as the Infinity speakers it replaced.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1