Basic home theater setup for a friend

dtr20

This I'd for a friend that was interested in getting into surround sound. She moves in an apartment, so I need to keep it small. Not sure on avr yet, but I was thinking

kg 1.5s for fronts

Kv-2 for center

Kg .5s for rears

Thoughts?

What size room is she putting this in? Those KG series speakers might work for a starter system but depending on what she is using as a receiver it might help us decide whether it is ample. I have a pair of KG 4's with a KLF-C7 and a pair of KG 2.2's as surround and it sounds really good paired with my Sherbourn/Emotiva electronics.

Tim

I believe it's a smaller apartment. I was thinking I could sell her my old harman kardon avr-247. I don't know anything about the quintets. I figured based on size, they would be tinny sounding, that's why I was thinking the kg's. Have you ever heard the quintets?

Edited by dtr20

The problem with very small satellite speakers like Quintets is that require a much higher than normal crossover point, like 150 hz. So compared to something larger that would allow 80 hz standard crossover, you have an extra octave of very critical information coming 'from the box in the corner' versus being distributed in the sound field where it belongs. A lot of the feel of surround processing is lost imho. 

• Like 3

A set of KSB 1.1 or 2.1s with the matching center would be good as well. They are not the best looking Klipsch speaker but the actually sound really good. The white ones are hard to find but they look very nice.

• Like 1

This I'd for a friend that was interested in getting into surround sound. She moves in an apartment, so I need to keep it small. Not sure on avr yet, but I was thinking

kg 1.5s for fronts

Kv-2 for center

Kg .5s for rears

Thoughts?

I assume you are on a budget by looking at your list. If you buy bookshelf speakers you better budget for some stands too. Personally I think KG 2.2 and KG 2.5's are a very nice size. I would lay one down for the center. The 1.5's would make nice rears.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

There are singles for sale sometimes also, which is cool. 

The RC52 is a nice center but will break the budget if purchased along with the fronts.

I would consider the idea of 3 of the RB51s, really nice idea.

The RB51s are nicer and better built than the current R-15M, which I also own.

But the R15Ms are also inexpensive especially in the used market.  

Here's a single on ebay available for best offer.  There's usually several pair for sale at any given time also.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLIPSCH-RB-51-II-BLACK-REFERENCE-MONITOR-SPEAKER-SINGLE-UNIT-BLACK-FINISH-GREAT-/191902553976?hash=item2cae489778:g:3bwAAOSw2GlXGXAX

Several pair sold recently for $150-$200, and often many are on craigslist.  I got my pair for a steal on ebay in an auction.

RK

Has anyone here tried out the klipsch cinema 6 set? I can get a set for less than $300 locally which I think is a decent deal

is that including a sub? Those are fairly old. I'd think you could get them much cheaper than that. You can buy brand new quintets for 275$ right now I think on Klipsch website. If they are still having the sale.

Has anyone here tried out the klipsch cinema 6 set? I can get a set for less than $300 locally which I think is a decent deal

is that including a sub? Those are fairly old. I'd think you could get them much cheaper than that. You can buy brand new quintets for 275$ right now I think on Klipsch website. If they are still having the sale.
I believe it includes a sub, the ad says new in box. I've looked it up on eBay, I could only find one listing for a much higher price for only the center and 2 sides. I couldn't find any previous listings to gauge how much they go for.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk