What device for REW room measuremeents?

RoboKlipsch

http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html

You can use a normal UMIK-1 but supposedly Cross Spectrum does a better job of calibrating plus for sure they do it for lower frequencies.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

REW and the mic that Metro listed is a good option.  For a bit less money, Omnimic from Parts Express.  This system is easier and you can be up and taking basic measurements in 30 min.  The instructions for REW is a small book of 90+ pages.  Much bigger learning curve.  I have friends that use it and there is a lot of help on the AVS forum.  You can get great results with either.  Rob, I will show you Omnimic.

For a bit less money, Omnimic from Parts Express.

Less? Omnimic is $300. REW is free and a good microphone is $75-$105.

This system is easier and you can be up and taking basic measurements in 30 min.  The instructions for REW is a small book of 90+ pages.  Much bigger learning curve.

Most people just want to start with simple sweeps, which only requires you to load your microphone calibration file, click on the "measure" icon, set the frequency range and gain, then click another button. Not much to it.

I will say the Omnimic is good for when you see what your frequency sweep looks like then want to delve farther, particularly if you need to fix a problem.  Also Woofer Tester is great for doing the proper sweep to tweak the crossover.

Yes they cost but for basics and someone doing home built speakers, worth it.

For a bit less money, Omnimic from Parts Express.

Less? Omnimic is $300. REW is free and a good microphone is $75-$105.

This system is easier and you can be up and taking basic measurements in 30 min.  The instructions for REW is a small book of 90+ pages.  Much bigger learning curve.

Most people just want to start with simple sweeps, which only requires you to load your microphone calibration file, click on the "measure" icon, set the frequency range and gain, then click another button. Not much to it.

You may need a new sound card for the computer.  Frequency sweeps are nice to look at but, for tuning subs, you have to look at the phase of the sweep.  Also seeing what your bass decay is helpful.  If you are really trying to tune your subs, it won't be long before you are looking at other things.  I don't want to read a book almost 100 pages to know how to work the thing with REW or constantly be on a forum asking for help.

You may need a new sound card for the computer.

Why would REW need a new sound card but not OmniMic?

Frequency sweeps are nice to look at but, for tuning subs, you have to look at the phase of the sweep.

Phase comes up right next to the response automatically. You've got the phase screen and you just toggle over to the response, couldn't be easier.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

So explain the phase thing please Derrick. What does tha have to do with tuning the subs? I mean I get phase has everything to do with getting placement right and then them playing right together. But to me tuning is the part where I try and apply EQ to smooth the graph out. Do you use phase for this part?

I'm looking to do the basic measurements.

Any thoughts on the best choice combining price and features?

I know phones have mics but I would assume they aren't nearly good enough?

So the issues with not-so-good microphones typically show up at the highest and lowest frequencies - which happen to be the areas that you need the most help getting them right, since the mid-frequencies are the most audible and are able to be dialed in using the ear as a quality control check.  So the better microphones that have calibration files to correct their readings within REW are the ones that I'd recommend. 

I've got a ECM8000 from Behringer, which I use with a small mixer to provide phantom power to the microphone, and I use a USB port connectivity.  This works well, but the USB one-in-all microphone from miniDSP (UMIK-1) is the same microphone but with a built-in phantom power source and USB connectivity. Both of these microphones have generic calibration files available through Home Theater Shack or the REW download site.

You can also use hand-held SPL meters, but the issue again is providing phantom power and a ADC to convert to USB.  They typically need no calibration files.

Unless you just like paying money for your in-room measurement software, I do recommend REW: it's the best freeware application that I've used...by far.  You can do things with REW that you used to need very expensive software to handle--and I doubt that you'll ever find it lacking in any respect.  Highly recommended.

Chris

Edited by Chris A