Hooking up my Cornwalls for TV and Stereo Question

dbomberger

OK.  Retired and relocated to a smaller retirement home and community.  Not a small place but smaller than the former residence.  I had to make some tough decisions on how many speakers/systems I can accommodate without a divorce.  Hence the question.  I currently have my Cornwalls hooked to the large screen TV, apple TV, Sony HT set-up etc.

I notice the Cornwalls have what I assume are dual inputs (though the intent might have been otherwise-I don't know).  Can I leave my TV centered system hooked to one set of the terminals and hook the other set to my Pioneer SX-1250, TT, etc.?  I wouldn't use them at the same time of course, but am I missing anything or should I consider other options.  Any and all suggestions appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Del

I'm surprised you say the CW's have two sets of terminals. I don't see this on any of the spec sheets but perhaps it is an oversight.

When this is done on speakers it is to allow bi-wiring or bi-amping. One set of terminals are attached, though the crossover, to the bass driver. The other set is attached, though the crossover, to the treble units. When there is such a set-up, there are brass jumpers electrically connecting the two sets for the normal connection with one amp.

There is the well respected theory that solid state amps are better for bass and tubes are better for treble. That is why the option (two sets of terminals) is available. Some people like to bi-wire to a single amp, but I think that is silly. Wire manufacturers like to sell you two sets though. More sales for them.

If for some reason you have these two sets of terminals, it is not to allow two amps to be connected to each drive bass and treble, which seems to be your goal. When the jumpers are removed, the amps' outputs are not connected together electically. They drive different speakers inside the boxes.

As mentioned by others, it is very bad to have the outputs of two amps wired in parallel (as would be with the jumpers in place). Damage to the amps can be expected. Each amp's outputs would be forcing power into the other.

There are switch boxes which allow one amp to be connected to the speaker and the other amp not connected, and vice-versa.

I'd suggest just using one amp and use its multiple input selector to do the job. If your amp doesn't have enough inputs, there are boxes for that too.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD