What tube amp to use with the LA Scala?

dirtmudd

Does anyone have a pair of brook 12a & preamps.
The great PWK used some modified Brook 12A amps I believe. Would be nice if you could find some reasonably priced. My 2A3 amps are Welborne Labs Moondogs. I am the fourth owner, so I didn't have to build mine.

How loud do you listen and what styles of music? That can also play into what you get.

Bruce

Are you running them in parallel ?

Those are the T-12 mono-bloc's. L/R, one each powering the La Scala bass bins.

The stereo Genesis 6 amplifier (left) taking care of the mid/high frequency.  Exodus Linestage (right), providing guidance :)

2tXCuaQ.jpg

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 1

The stereo Genesis 6 amplifier (left) taking care of the mid/high frequency.  Exodus Linestage (right), providing guidance :)

2tXCuaQ.jpg

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

I did not see t-12 Mono's on the website

The stereo Genesis 6 amplifier (left) taking care of the mid/high frequency.  Exodus Linestage (right), providing guidance :)2tXCuaQ.jpg

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

I do see the on facebook

My Fastlane Elliptrac modded KHorns have proven to sound best for My Liking with the 2a3. I'm still a bit astounded at the combination of detail, soundstage, proper bass and crystal highs afforded from 3.5 watts. I have KT66/88 and EL84 on these Horns and prefer the 2a3 (84's a close second). Trying to shy from pimping a particular brand the best I've heard on Belle and Cornwall Heritage is the 6C33 Russian brute of a power tube run single ended at 45 watts from Audio Mirror. The best sound for me bar none and I'll most likely end up with a pair for the KHorns.

The stereo Genesis 6 amplifier (left) taking care of the mid/high frequency.  Exodus Linestage (right), providing guidance :)2tXCuaQ.jpg

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

I do see the on facebook
What's up with steal your face?

My Fastlane Elliptrac modded KHorns have proven to sound best for My Liking with the 2a3. I'm still a bit astounded at the combination of detail, soundstage, proper bass and crystal highs afforded from 3.5 watts. I have KT66/88 and EL84 on these Horns and prefer the 2a3 (84's a close second). Trying to shy from pimping a particular brand the best I've heard on Belle and Cornwall Heritage is the 6C33 Russian brute of a power tube run single ended at 45 watts from Audio Mirror. The best sound for me bar none and I'll most likely end up with a pair for the KHorns.

I understand.. I know that I really just need 6 clean watts . right now I have the dared vp-20 . running a matched quad circle sed 6l6gc matched pair Jan Philips 12au7 & a pair of rca 12ax7 gray

plates.

Also using for a pre Conrad Johnson pv7. And a legendary family dollar store gpx DVD/CD player.

Last but not least a thorenes td125 w/ factory tp25 tonearm w/ the shure realistic rxt-4 cart.

Yes I do have some small issues but I need to upgrade . quality, proformance,cost are all factors.

I want the most bang for my Buck !

Edited by dirtmudd
  • Like 1

So sounds like I can put the schizoid face on them ?

He will put whatever you like on them!  I would strongly suggest contacting TS Matt.  Sounds like the Genesis 6 may be right up your ally. TS Matt's contact information is on the Tool Shed web page.  Give him a shout, great guy to work with.  His work is out of this world and more affordable than you may think :emotion-21:

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2016 at 9:55 AM, dirtmudd said:

What's up with steal your face?

Yep - that's my Exodus preamp top plate.  You can customize the front plate with coordinating graphics too - maybe the Discipline or Lark's Tongue graphics on the front plate!  Like Matt says - it's whatever you'd like.  TS Matt is a lot of fun to work with and is very accommodating!  Lots of different wood and metal options to make it your "last amplifier purchase".  Check 'em out!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aercool said:

Yep - that's my Exodus preamp top plate.  You can customize the front plate with coordinating graphics too - maybe the Discipline or Lark's Tongue graphics on the front plate!  Like Matt says - it's whatever you'd like.  TS Matt is a lot of fun to work with and is very accommodating!  Lots of different wood and metal options to make it your "last amplifier purchase".  Check 'em out!

? Does anyone know what happened to the painted rock on mile marker 45 Nys thurway on I 87 north ...it was steal your face...

I remembered it in the 70's & early 80's ... I googled earth it some years back could not find it... The painting on the rock was huge!!!!

I've had success with what are now kind of unobtainium:  Wright Sound WPA 3.5 mono blocks (which I regrettably sold), and my current Don Allen 6q5 single-ended monoblocks. Both very nice sounding options. The Wrights were 2a3 based, and my preference of the two.