What tube amp to use with the LA Scala?

dirtmudd

Last Sunday I picked up a Dynaco St 70 my friend built for me and it sounds fantastic with the La Salas. Before that it was the Adcom gfi 5000 a.and for twenty years before that it was tha Adcom 5000 into KG 5.5 s w Critis covers and titanium diaphragms.Am I going backwards?

On 8/3/2016 at 8:27 PM, Blvdre said:

I've had success with what are now kind of unobtainium:  Wright Sound WPA 3.5 mono blocks (which I regrettably sold), and my current Don Allen 6q5 single-ended monoblocks. Both very nice sounding options. The Wrights were 2a3 based, and my preference of the two.

Me too; always been ecstatic about my WPA 3.5 SETs (and Wright phono preamp/lineamp).

Listening at an average 80dB from the chair, I have +20dB of headroom under the first watt.

I seriously doubt the La Scalas have ever seen a peak over 1 watt in the years I've had them.

• Like 1

On 24 June 2016 at 0:23 AM, tube fanatic said:

If they are in your 10.5 X 11.5 room a 1-2 wpc SEP or SET will let you blow out your ear drums.  Consider something like the Decware Zen Triode or, if you have electronics experience, you can build your own for around $300.  The best part is that the sound you get from these types of amps will likely surpass that of expensive, high power, units.  What's the point of having high power available if your loudest listening is likely to need only 1/2 wpc, if that much?  

Maynard

I ran a decware se84b with la scalas to great satisfaction for five years. The little amp is very, very good musically. This combination however needed an equally good source to produce the goods. I started with a tube rotel CD player, moved to a njoe tJoeb and tried a couple of Dacs including meridian and audio alchemy. The missing link was provided by a California audio labs aria CD player.  Faultless in detail, rhythm, dynamics, huge soundstage, and a beautifully rhythmic bass, electric or upright. And it would go loud enough to wake the pesky neighbour up after midnight. She shouldn't have built her house with her bedroom facing my living room were the music system lived.

The aria died a natural death from old age and I could never regain that magic. 

forever regret they day I sold the la scalas due to moving to a smaller house. Am now running the decware Superzen with fully tweaked klf20s -- braced, crites crossover updates, titanium tweeter and mid-horn diaphragms -- with decware's tube output tascam CD player featuring an iPod dock. Sometime use a dddac 24 chip Dac. Quite close to the decware,la scala, aria combo except to the soundstage. 

• 8 months later...