Favorite SS Reciever for 2 channel listening

rockhound

On 8/29/2016 at 8:47 AM, willland said:

Very nice.  Please let us know your thoughts.  I have heard great things about this piece.

Hey, that is not a receiver.:o:P

Bill

I certainly will, when I get some better speakers for it. :blush2:  Got something very interesting in the works at the moment.

As far as not being a receiver.....well, I've still got the Pioneer SC-87 and Panasonic SA-XR57 if we're going to be technical about that. :D  I like them, so I keep 'em, just like Derrick. All three have their unique strengths, and all three can be made to sound absolutely delicious.

I rarely ever suggest an AVR for a dedicated stereo setup but as you know, there are exceptions.  My NAD T773 is one of them.  Though it is not the same as my favorite stereo receiver, the highly praised Luxman R-117, but the NAD does stereo as well or better than any other AVR I have ever heard.

What module do you have installed on your C390DD?  HDMI?  Phono?

Bill

My first one was Sony 7065 but it broke on a yearly basis then got a Yamaha 2040 but the 24 watt HK 430 sounded the best I think. Wish I could afford to have it redone. I bet brand new those sounded awesome. 430,630,730,930 twin powered ones all of them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Receiver ay... There are 2 that stand above all others IMO. Yes, above all, including the biggest and most expensive. The Pioneer SX-1250 and the Marantz 2330 (not the 2330B). The 1250 is tonally perfect with tons of reserve and bass slam. Very nice soundstage accuracy.

The 2330 is a little more colored, but in a good way, having a very dimensional midrange. It puts the artists more in the room, and it has some tube flavor to it in the dimensional sense.

The Yamaha CR-2020 and the Sansui 9090DB get mention as well. If they had a bit more weight in the low end, they would be in the same class as the above.

On 8/31/2016 at 1:30 AM, willland said:

What module do you have installed on your C390DD?  HDMI?  Phono?

Just stock at the moment. I've yet to pony up for an HDMI module, which it will definitely need. Phono? I've got the Pioneer for that.

The BluOS module might look promising at first glimpse, but in the end, it doesn't make much sense. Especially without DLNA and not to mention the price they're asking. Otherwise a great piece of hardware, rendered useless by poor software.

• 2 weeks later...

1. H/K 430 twin powered stereo receiver (there is a REASON it was the best selling stereo receiver on the planet while in production!) Rated 25 WPC, two channels driven

2. H/K 730 from same era (nice to have preamp-outs/amp-ins option) Rated 35 WPC, two channels driven

3. H/K 930 from same era (nice to have preamp-outs/amp-ins option) Rated 45 WPC, two channels driven

If the speakers used are NOT efficient, then reverse the order of preference

They all have pretty good tuners and pre-amp sections...nice to have quality throughout the spectrum.

Having twin power supplies makes a HUGE difference during complex musical passages!

H/K 430 has fewer transistors creating THD than the higher-WPC rated models, so it just sounds a bit better!  AND it stays COOLER..heat is the enemy of solid state stuff!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2016 at 5:56 PM, rosey1968 said:

I grew up listening to music on a McIntosh 1900 receiver with AR14 speakers so from a nostalgia standpoint that is the receiver for me. Not a bad little set up either.   I still have that receiver although it is not a part of my everyday gear.

I just now got one of those. I can't wait to hear it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:55 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

1. H/K 430 twin powered stereo receiver (there is a REASON it was the best selling stereo receiver on the planet while in production!) Rated 25 WPC, two channels driven

2. H/K 730 from same era (nice to have preamp-outs/amp-ins option) Rated 35 WPC, two channels driven

3. H/K 930 from same era (nice to have preamp-outs/amp-ins option) Rated 45 WPC, two channels driven

My first choice's, have the 930 on Cornwall's, very nice. Second choice would be Sansui but I'm sure there are many others from back then that sound good I haven't tried.  

Would never try a HTR again for 2 ch, not even close to me, not even just the pre-outs. :emotion-45:

• Like 2