Favorite SS Reciever for 2 channel listening

rockhound

5 hours ago, Weber said:

+1

Been saying this for years. I haven't heard one AVR that has factory magic for sound. 

I will agree with this with 95% of the AVR's out there.  

After spending about 2 hours yesterday in my spare bedroom listening to Spotify streamed from my HTC One M8 to my Chromecast Audio to my NAD T773 AVR to my Heresys, I experienced the other 5%.  I have used many a stereo setup(integrateds, preamp/amp, 70"s, 80's, 90's stereo receivers) with my Heresys in this bedroom and this beast NADT773 AVR surely holds it's own with 2 channel audio.  I just can't see myself shelving this piece for something "better".

Bill

NAD T-773 005.jpg

NAD T-773 002.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, willland said:

NADT773 AVR surely holds it's own with 2 channel audio.

That looks like a beast. How do you think it will do against your Yamaha? 

Also, thanks for the information / prodding on the R117. As you can see, I am trying to score one. Until then, I was able to get the R115 yesterday. I don't have it where I want it yet and have been using it to AB some bookshelf speakers that I hauled in yesterday too Polk 5, B&W, Pioneer HPM500, ADS. 

Every R117 that I'm finding costs 4x more than the R115. :huh:

Thanks again,

James

10 minutes ago, Weber said:

That looks like a beast. How do you think it will do against your Yamaha? 

Also, thanks for the information / prodding on the R117. As you can see, I am trying to score one. Until then, I was able to get the R115 yesterday. I don't have it where I want it yet and have been using it to AB some bookshelf speakers that I hauled in yesterday too Polk 5, B&W, Pioneer HPM500, ADS. 

Every R117 that I'm finding costs 4x more than the R115. :huh:

Thanks again,

James

The Yamaha drives my RB-75's in my living room and the NAD drives my Heresys in a bedroom.  Can't really "compare" but they both sound great IMO.

Great score with the R-115.

The R-117 is definitely more prized than the R-115 but both really do sound the same at "normal" listening levels.

Bill

Got some excellent sound out of my Forte Is with a Luxman R-405.  Then I picked up a McIntosh MA6200 integrated amp from Tom Manley at McIntosh Audio and discovered a whole new world of music.  The tone is warm and non-fatiguing (I see why so many small offices use McIntosh for their sound systems): the separation between instruments reveals notes I'd never heard.  I'm thinking about setting up a Macintosh MAC1700/Heresy listening station in my bedroom -- or just move my Fortes to the bedroom and put Cornwalls in the main system...

Thanks for positive comment - I appreciate it.  My Cornwalls have upgraded ALK crossovers and I put the CT120 drivers in after I bought them from original owner.  With the Scott LK-48 integrated they sound wonderful to me.  I'm pleasantly surprised how now they sound with the Pioneer receiver.  

Since everyone is listing vintage gear, I have to recommend the Marantz PM8004. It has a warm sound like some of the receivers mentioned. It has great tone controls, remote, and the modern looks and reliability of new equipment. I currently have 3 of these running in different 2 channel setups. Each one replaced much more expensive separates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've heard a bunch of em, and I'd say depends on the speakers. Assuming you mean simple whole 1 unit pre/power amp set up's I'd have to say Marantz 2230 for a high spl speaker like a Khorn.

However, I have rather different ears. I never liked the 1250 sound, and running them off a different pre (carver c1, c2 or nad 1155) was better, the 1980 was almost the diametric opposite of the 1250 and harsh on any horn based - harsh even for me, which is saying something.

I also liked the sx2500, sx1500 and a few others - sansui 3000b - common plot here - cap coupled.

But On my NS1000's - all of these were gutless. Those worked best with the Marantz 2325. Or a Nad1155 to a Nakamichi PA7.

And on a set of carver amazing AIII's - a proceed amp 5 run off that Nad1155 was the ticket (or carver silver 7's run off a C1)

I am still playing with some of these old and less old amps and speakers. So my ears are still learning.

Thanks.

Srinath.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:20 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

+1

Been saying this for years. I haven't heard one AVR that has factory magic for sound. 

Even a dyed in the wool vintage nut like me (I must have 30 silver face for 1 black face) wont agree with this cover all statement.

I'll put a Yamaha DSP3090, and an A1 against anything made in the 70's if you have speakers like a Klipsch heritage series. In fact on my EV's I really thought I was listening to tubes on the 3090. Yea some vintage amps will be better. But these are not that far down. Of course you want to run a inefficient drifting current hungry speaker like a carver amazing, you'd fry the 3090, but then again you're gonna fry a Marantz 2230 or an sx2500 too in short order. sx1250 - yea indestructible, but it also sounds rather blunt and im-precise to my ears. I dunno, I am torn between old and older gear. For example, I'd never put a Z9 in the same league as the 3090 or the a1.

Oh, also I have a TAS5630 based kit amp that will smoke most anything this side of the top 2-3 cap coupled amps, and will take a 4 ohm speaker all day long and drive any load that doesn't need high current and run from a tube pre, or a tube buffer sounds like its a 300 watt tube amp. But, well, it was designed from the ground up to do just that.

Thanks.

Srinath.

I should clarify - In a way I am speaking out of both sides of my mouth. I am being very very very picky in new gear and saying it drops into the middle and upper middle of the old.

That's not quite fair, cos these were meant to do specific things (some of which we don't even remember anymore - like for example the SX1250 was meant to have synergy with the CS99 wasn't it and the 1980 with HPM1500's) and I'm cherry picking the receiver and the speaker set in the new. So saying a 1250 is not sharp and a 1980 is too sharp is just BS.

In the 70's you can stand in a football field filled with speakers and amps, throw a rock into the amp gallery, pull that amp out, repeat with speakers and end up with lets say a sound quality that you'd need, 300,000 tries to beat in 2016.

Random vs random, you'd never make it. I may have heard 300,000 items. And I've seen maybe 3-4 I'll drop into the pantheon of 70's gear. I have a Marantz sr8001 that makes me want to get a bigger newer Marantz. HK 7000 and 8000. many pre/pro combo's are good. But they're built like a vintage pre/pro set. If proceed built a amp 2 similar to a 70's 125 watter using nearly the same spec mosfets and same spec power supplies wont it sound rather like it escaped from the 70's.

Also 70's amps likely still have 99% of their 70's components - worn, out of spec, about to give up.

New - may have 25 yrs of design spec'ed life left (or may have died and gone to the dump already) and I have a working onkyo TX-SR 605 I pulled from the dump, with an inch of standing water in it when pulled and dried and then plugged in - well, as proof that people even tossed working stuff in the dump.

Thanks.

Srinath..