Favorite SS Reciever for 2 channel listening

rockhound

7 hours ago, Rxonmymind said:

Not alone. I have a Denon 3803 paired to Wharfedales Denton's that sounds pretty dang good. A tad mellow/laid back but detailed. Listened to it for a good hour and while the first half hour was a bit tight and not as holographic once up to operating temperature it displayed excellent musicality, bloom, and holographic sound. Imaging wasn't pin point accurate with just a tad bit of float. Otherwise a really good receiver. 

I can live with it. Denon makes good products.

Downstairs in the living room right now the Bob Carver Sunfire cinema grand amp & pre sounds absolutely fantastic on the Bell's. Musical as all get out and non fatiguing. Been sitting here for about an hour after a LONG hard day of yard work. Don't want to move. Lol. Jazz sounds so awesome on Klipsch.

I just picked up a Denon 3805 a few hours a go for a secondary system.  Also got a DVD 2910.  These non HDMI receivers made until the mid 2000's are a real bargain right now and are the new versions of the 1970's monster receivers.  They are very clean and have nice DACs.  I run a Denon 1400 CD player that I bought new in 1989 using an optical out into my AVR 5800.  Just changed the belts and have been listening quite a bit. 

As with my AVR 5800, you can use an optical out from a new TV and run your other inputs into the TV so that you do not need HDMI.  My blue ray player also has 7.1 RCA out so I can use that if I ever play a DVD with discrete 7.1.

Love these receivers.  Clean and powerful. 

• Like 2

I used to really like the Denon 3805 as a preamp only. Gave it to my daughter and she's thoroughly enjoying it in her new/first home. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

" When ever I use my Sansui 5000x I am in hurry to replace it.   "

Back in the day I fixed a ton of those.

The original design was such a POS that Sansui offered a completely new design board for replacement (rather than repair).

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Sony STR-6060F receiver that an AK member is getting me the parts list together for a complete recap of it sometime soon. It was great sounding 7 years ago when I last used it but it's way past due. Also have a Pioneer SX-780 but don't care enough about it to mess with it. 

9 minutes ago, unclefred said:

Outlaw has a new 2ch receiver with a lot of modern features and a retro design that looks interesting-

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html

1709092257380092.jpg

Outlaw Audio/ATI are nice gear built very well but with this receiver I just can't get past the asymmetrical design.  

Bill

• Like 1

I liked any of the Nakamichi STASIS (Nelson Pass) receivers (SR-2A and TA-2A)...the Outlaw Audio RR2150 sounded very nice, I sometimes wish I hadn't moved it along...the early McIntosh sounds warm (and really holds it's value) but it moved along as well (MAC1900 and MA6200)...the Panasonic SA-XR "digital" receivers set to 2 channel are clean and inexpensively priced.

Bill

5 hours ago, silversport said:

I liked any of the Nakamichi STASIS (Nelson Pass) receivers (SR-2A and TA-2A)...the Outlaw Audio RR2150 sounded very nice, I sometimes wish I hadn't moved it along...the early McIntosh sounds warm (and really holds it's value) but it moved along as well (MAC1900 and MA6200)...the Panasonic SA-XR "digital" receivers set to 2 channel are clean and inexpensively priced.

Bill

I have a couple of those Panasonics, they sound very good with my Quartets and with my ribbon speakers. I doubt I will ever buy another analog receiver. My main Coda amp and IRD pre sound better, but not by much, at least on the Klipsch. The difference is greater on the Bohlander-Graebner towers, most likely because of the lower efficiency and ohm characteristics they present.

The Coda runs class A for the first 12 or 15 watts and I doubt it needs that much with the Quartets. The pre can be run at zero gain.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, I am new here in a sense. Long time reader, first time posting. Never have I claimed to be an audiophile. A lot of my friends do however. This has led me to understand that there are several types of listeners and an enormous number of ears and preferences concerning sound and content. Many of my audiophile friends are actually more into sounds than actual music or how it should actually sound. All that said I will state that, by way of introduction I enjoy music. I have been attending concerts and playing with stereo gear for more that forty years trying to get as close as possible in my living room to "being there".

Thanks to all who participate here. Information, perceptions and opinions, all valuable and gratefully accepted.

I have been playing with Khorns for some time now. still chasing that sound that takes me back to the concert. The solution was unexpected but I think worth mention in this context. I recently purchased a Kenwood KR- 8050 from ebay. The intent was to use it in my shop. I purchased it from the original owner from 1979 and it came in the original box with all the original packaging and the instruction manual. I also purchased a Kenwood Eleven-G that was in mint condition. Mostly because the thing is just beautiful. That is another story however.

Originally thought I might put the Eleven-G on my Khorns. Man, talk about sucks! Just a bad match, I was so disappointed... So, I hooked up the plain looking KR-8050 with the total expectation that it would be even worse. I was never so wrong in my life. I turned off everything the the receiver has to enhance or adjust from just the flat response and connected my Khorns.  Result, absolute perfection! Now I keep listening trying to find the flaw. Seems a match made in heaven. Really got me looking through the specs again so I will post them.

Kenwood KR-8050 High Speed stereo Receiver (according to the instruction manual.)

120 watts per channel @ 8 ohms from 20 to 20,000 hz.    150 watt per channel with power boost on.  ( It has a turbo button )

Total harmonic distortion 0.02% rated power into 8 ohms 

1 watt power into 8 ohms 0.007%

Intermoduration Distortion-

(60hz : 7 khz =4 :1 SMPTE

rated power into 8 ohms 0.005%

1 watt power into 8 ohms 0.006%

Slew Rate 200/sec

Rise time 0.9/sec

Damping Factor  -  (20 to 20khz at 8 ohms) = 85

4 hours ago, Otm said:

Never have I claimed to be an audiophile.

I respectfully disagree.  You like good music reproduction, therefore, you are an audiophile.  IMO, "audiophile" is not a synonym for snob or expert.  Someone who is drawn to music, whether from a clock radio or Klipsch Jubilees, is an audiophile.

5 hours ago, Otm said:

So, I am new here in a sense. Long time reader, first time posting. Never have I claimed to be an audiophile.

Nice to have you here, welcome to the Klipsch forums!  

No big deal on the audiophile label.  It's not a pejorative to me.  You have nice stuff, you want faithful reproduction of sound.  That defines most of us here and like it or not, we are the 1% for whom audio is both an addition, and the cure.  B)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Audio is indeed an addition to our lives, but if you look around your keyboard, I believe you'll see a "c" that you dropped.;)

LOL!  Thank you Captain Spell Check!  :lol:

Another lesson in life brought to you by Mr. @DizRotus, people can never spot their own misteaks...

+++

In your honor, I won't go back and correct my spelling, I'll just leave it there for all the world to see.  Thanks to my OCD I almost always go back and fix spelling, punctuation, etc. 

If my world-wide internet reputation suffers, I'm holding you accountable.  :P

• Like 1