Favorite SS Reciever for 2 channel listening

rockhound

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

LOL!  Thank you Captain Spell Check!  :lol:

Another lesson in life brought to you by Mr. @DizRotus, people can never spot their own misteaks...

+++

In your honor, I won't go back and correct my spelling, I'll just leave it there for all the world to see.  Thanks to my OCD I almost always go back and fix spelling, punctuation, etc. 

If my world-wide internet reputation suffers, I'm holding you accountable.  :P

ALWAYS blame typos on auto correct.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I respectfully disagree.  You like good music reproduction, therefore, you are an audiophile.  IMO, "audiophile" is not a synonym for snob or expert.  Someone who is drawn to music, whether from a clock radio or Klipsch Jubilees, is an audiophile.

22 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Nice to have you here, welcome to the Klipsch forums!  

No big deal on the audiophile label.  It's not a pejorative to me.  You have nice stuff, you want faithful reproduction of sound.  That defines most of us here and like it or not, we are the 1% for whom audio is both an addition, and the cure.  B)

Well, thanks to you both. I have been called worse. Others I happen to know however do consider themselves audiophiles and have no particular interest in music other than the sounds they produce. I suppose all I wish to be is a music lover. If I listen to the best music performance ever I want it to sound like the best ever. And as previously stated all information, preferences and opinions are appreciated. And I thik that is why I am here. Plus I am learning.

I missed an "n" here on purpose. Gotta keep that resident spell check on his toes! :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

Learninng?  :lol:

Sure, this place is a wealth of information. I have my own tastes in gear as we all do. That part is fun. Finding methods to set things up. Where and how to find competent repair shops. Who to ask questions of. I find a lot of the Kenwood gear from a particular era to be as good as its competitors without paying the premium. So I buy a lot of it because it is less popular and less expensive so I can buy lots of it. As with other gear, some is splendid, some, not so much. If you match the right stuff you find bliss. This is a place you can not only do this but it is encouraged. And sometime, because what I use is a bit outside what everyone else is doing I might actually help someone realize their dream as I did. That being, once I had Khorns to find just that receiver that really does work.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 2:16 PM, djk said:

" When ever I use my Sansui 5000x I am in hurry to replace it.   "

Back in the day I fixed a ton of those.

The original design was such a POS that Sansui offered a completely new design board for replacement (rather than repair).

The earlier 5000 and maybe 5000a did have a problematic driver board, The most of the 5000x's had a better driver board, like mine. 

• 3 weeks later...

I can only speak from my own experience with a Marantz 2220B driving four Klipsch KG4s, two Forte Is with Crites titanium diaphragms and new Crites crossover and, now, a pair of Cornwall IIs. My friends here at the retirement facility who attend my music evenings say the system is the best stereo reproduction they have ever heard. But then it may just be the cheap imitation Champagne I serve!  The source is a Sony CDP- C545

given to me, but even the FM signal from 100 miles away (LA) sounds pretty good. I paid $230 for the Marantz from a Seattle thrift store!!

• Like 1

About 5 months ago guy from work mentioned if I could look over his Marantz 2220B. He said it needed some panel lights, and some pots cleaned.

He covered the cash for LED panel lights, and I tore the receiver down and cleaned/lubed everything, replacing the panel lamps as well.

The receiver was stored for quite some time, and if they had covered the top of the unit, it wouldn't have had a 1/2" of dust and crust all over the inside of the unit.

The unit also had a choker chain that had fell inside, and was dangling around the leads of a output transistor. I'm surprised that didn't take the transistor out.

We listened to the 2220B with my Cornwalls, and didn't want to give it back to the guy. But I got a taste of a vintage Marantz receiver.

He was really happy, using some vintage Pioneer speakers or some such. I offered to re-cap the receiver for him, but he's cheap and refused.

The day he quit working at the place, he looks at myself and exclaims; "Oh BTW, that Marantz was a 5 dollar barn find."

• Like 1

My adult son recently found new employment -- Don't get the wrong idea.  I encouraged him to quit the Wash., DC PD.  it's more dangerous than when he was in Afghanistan - - and he will be moving into a duplex soon.  I'll miss him, but I'll also miss his refurbished h/k 430.  Not to worry, my h/k 630 is being restored as I type.  There's something magical about those twin powered receivers.

• Like 1