SOLD: Cornscalas, Price Reduced to $1,000/pair/BO

RJH

A pair of custom built 2013 Cornscala audiophile speakers designed by Bob Crites. Has bass driver characteristics of the Klipsch Cornwall speakers with midrange and tweeter characteristics of the Klipsch La Scala speakers. For more information, please see:  http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html.

Components: Tweeter – Selenium/JBL D220TI titanium driver with the Selenium/JBL HM11-25 horn, Midrange – Selenium/JBL D405 (weighs almost 20 pounds) phenolic 4” voice coil driver with a M2380 horn, Woofer - 15-inch CW1526C cast frame, replica of the Klipsch K-33 used in the Cornwall, Crossover – CSS 500/5000 by Bob Crites.

Enclosure:  Heavily braced, hand crafted ¾ inch oak plywood cabinets with solid oak molding, oil and satin polyurethane finish, and framed  grille. 41.25x23.75x15 inches. Weight is about 150 pounds each.

Performance: Incredible sound with clean, articulate mids and highs plus powerful, low end bass. Very efficient at about 100 db/watt/meter. Capable of 119 db maximum sound output level.

Why Selling: Recently retired and downsizing. These home entertainment speakers will not fit in our small living room. Over $1,600 invested in parts alone, plus extensive labor. Unfinished versions go for as much as $1,838, plus shipping.

How Much: Asking price reduced to $1,000 from $1,200 for the pair.

Shipping: Will provide free delivery to most of Northern California, but would prefer not to ship these speakers. For other destinations, buyer must arrange for pickup in the Marysville, California area and pay for shipping costs, including packaging and insurance.
Will accept Paypal, cash, as well as cashier's check or U.S. Postal Money Order upon bank clearance.

Will consider partial trade for smaller high quality speakers or selling individual components of my Cornscalas, but would prefer to see if all the components will sell together as a synergistic system.

If interested, please contact me at rthelman@sbcglobal.net.

Thank you for your consideration.

post-63467-0-01540000-1466657525_thumb.j

post-63467-0-47340000-1466657541_thumb.j

post-63467-0-65740000-1466657582_thumb.j

post-63467-0-18540000-1466657604_thumb.j

post-63467-0-67580000-1466657629_thumb.j

post-63467-0-86180000-1466657659_thumb.j

post-63467-0-57980000-1466657689_thumb.j

Edited by RJH
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the compliments on my Cornscalas. Constructing them was a love/hate affair, but worth all the labor. Wish we have the living room space to keep them. I could probably drive them in my pick-up truck and travel trailer to Utah as part of a "vacation", but would need gas money. Just a thought.

Rick

With those components and the quality of the build, that is a great price for those. They would be perfect for the guy who wants Lascalas with better bass and can't get regular Lascalas because of the WAF. 

Since you are downsizing, you might want to contact this person who is selling a nice looking set of Heresy's near you. Perhaps he would trade up... 

https://stockton.craigslist.org/ele/5609039008.html

Hi Mustang Guy: That is a good price for the Heresys for sale near where I live, but I am not ready yet to down-size to a book shelf speaker. And besides, I need the $ for my next speaker project TBD.

Hi JWeber: I wish I had the room for a no-compromise all horn system. The pic on my profile is just a dream...  Are those your speakers? Do you have a sub-woofer to go with them such as a 32 foot concrete horn in the attic?

• Like 1

Hi Mustang Guy: That is a good price for the Heresys for sale near where I live, but I am not ready yet to down-size to a book shelf speaker. And besides, I need the $ for my next speaker project TBD.

Hi JWeber: I wish I had the room for a no-compromise all horn system. The pic on my profile is just a dream...  Are those your speakers? Do you have a sub-woofer to go with them such as a 32 foot concrete horn in the attic?

Once there was a man who proved that one doesn't need 32' to get 16Hz, if the horn is folded right. 

Touche!

It would still generally take a lot of folds and a room with long walls for a 16 Hz horn, but I am sure that the horn would be really efficient.

The question here should be do the Cornscalas offer the right balance of efficiency, low end bass response, and size for the price? With an overall efficiency off about 100 decibals (db), a F3 db point in the high 30's, a relatively compact size of 3x2 feet, and asking price of $1200 per pair, I believe it would be ideal for many people. Any offers...please? 

• 2 weeks later...