Travis Barker

Paducah Home Theater

I realize most everybody here is into fancy music but I'm all about the 90's and early 2000's punk/alternative sound. Favorite drummer right now is Travis Barker of Blink 182. Very interesting style. He seems to often lock his wrists and bring his sticks way higher than usual, except he does it non stop, it's not like it's a crescendo, makes for some interesting visuals. Not sure if there's a technical reason or that's just how he learned or if it's part of his showmanship. Anybody know much about drums?

• Like 1

yep i dig blink 182 & mr barker... been a fan of them for many years & really like his drumming style too.  ive played drums for 20+ years, just mess around & self taught playing to easier rock stuff like ac/dc, van halen, & all kinds of other stuff.  i have a few friends that play also & one friend that plays in quite a few local bands & teaches from his home studio.  hes an amazing drummer that can play almost anything, jazz to rock to modern.

i like all the vid clips you posted, but you should check out one of their not so popular tunes... a song called "the fallen interlude"  it has a awsome drum beat to it & is a great song for turning up loud on klipsch speakers, it has one of the lowest bass passages ever.  carefull though it can abuse your woofers!

the drum beat is a continuation of another very good song of theirs called "down".  heres a link to both songs but the fallen is really awsome.... turn it up!

Edited by klipschfancf4

i like all the vid clips you posted, but you should check out one of their not so popular tunes... a song called "the fallen interlude"  it has a awsome drum beat to it & is a great song for turning up loud on klipsch speakers, it has one of the lowest bass passages ever.

My favorite song of theirs for a funky drum groove is the official video for “feeling this” but I didn’t want to post a video that was full of half naked co-eds. Of course, every guy here is going to look it up now. :) It's not complicated except for the fills, I just like the beat. The visual aspect I mentioned is more obvious in this one as well.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

yeah thats a good one too, but i wouldnt call it a "funky groove"... its more of a fast & heavy rock type beat to me, almost sounds like their earlier "punk" stuff.  a funky groove is more like the fallen one i posted...

& i really like the sound & feel of "i miss you" its a good song all around but the drums in it sound great & are a tricky beat to play.

I realize most everybody here is into fancy music

but I'm all about the 90's and early 2000's punk/alternative sound. Favorite drummer right now is Travis Barker of Blink 182. Very interesting style.

He seems to often lock his wrists and bring his sticks way higher than usual, except he does it non stop, it's not like it's a crescendo, makes for some interesting visuals. Not sure if there's a technical reason or that's just how he learned or if it's part of his showmanship.

Anybody know much about drums?

I'm not a musician, I'm a drummer.   :rolleyes:   I can see what he is doing and why.

He does not look like he was classically trained, he looks self-taught.  He has some chops (skill) but he is very inefficient with his technique.  Drumming usually is done from the wrists, not the arms or shoulders.  He uses a lot of single stroke rolls and does not use any of the 25 basic drum rudiments.  Paradiddles are actually a very essential part of good rock drumming.  See Steve Gadd who drummed for Aja, Stevie Wonder, et al for a clinic on good rock drumming.

That being said, having visuals is very acceptable, especially for a rock drummer.  Stick flips and twirls, what we call "monkey drumming" (which he doesn't do, a half-speed technique with the arms very high over the drums before hitting them) are part of the show.

The answer to your question, the high arm motion is for show.

To me, he looks like an average drummer with average chops.  Nothing wrong with that, but he doesn't do anything you or I couldn't do.

Now, Steve Gadd on the other hand... :o

agree with you wvu80, barker is not really special in what he does, but if you check out some of his other clips or the "warm up" clip posted above, he is very good at what he does, & some of the stuff is rather tricky for some drummers... i appreciate his style for what it is.  & he has been traditionally taught, pretty sure he did the whole marching band thing in school, he just branched off to his own style. im quite sure he knows & can play all the parradiddles. 

now steve gadd, hes on a whole nother level!  one of my all time favs... the intro & basic beat to "50 ways" is down right awsome! always liked that song & anything from paul simon... & hearing someone play that correctly in person can give you goosebumps & a perma-grin! my friend that is very good can play it almost perfectly. 

another all time fav drummer of mine & probably one of the best drummers for real style is jeff porcaro of toto fame, & he plays on many other bands albums like steely dan etc.  although he passed away awhile back from lawn pesticides, hes one of the best IMO. talk about funky grooves.., the shuffle beat on the song "rosanna" is just excellent & many others of his songs are very difficult to play.  i have his instructional dvd.  good stuff.

my list of favorite drummers is pretty long, each has their own style & skill that i appreciate.  

Edited by klipschfancf4

• 2 months later...

Just getting around to this post... 

I played in drum corps for 4 years, and I agree that he looks self-taught.  I saw the comment about "25 rudiments", I always thought there were 26, though I probably can't name them anymore.  That was 30 years ago.  !!!(hard for me to believe)!!!

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees

How did I miss this thread ???  I am a Travis barker fan!!!  I have seen many technically superior drummers just do some really awesome skillful solos. But for me it is all about what they add to the song. Can they be technical and still have the feel?  That is what I love about Travis drumming. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Just getting around to this post... 

I played in drum corps for 4 years, and I agree that he looks self-taught.  I saw the comment about "25 rudiments", I always thought there were 26, though I probably can't name them anymore.  That was 30 years ago.  !!!(hard for me to believe)!!!

I can't remember my rudiments either.  If you say it's 26, then it's 26.  It's been 40+ years for me too!  B)

+++

Who did you march with?

Here ya go Mr. Code Fool, in your honor, a really cool Vic Firth video showing off what marching percussion sounds like.  Drum Corps IS the reason I have my Klipsch speakers.  Nothing can reproduce the live sound of 80 brass like large Klipsch speakers!

This is 2016 Carolina Crown, Drum Corps International 3rd place, first place in brass.  I think percussion got 6th, but man, these guys are good!

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Who did you march with?

No one notable, mostly h.s. and college.  I did have the privilege to study under Bret Kuhn, though.  You might know of him, he was in the Cavaliers then taught for the Bluecoats.  I just don't have the chops anymore.  I have a pair of sticks at work (Bret Kuhn signature sticks, too!), and the armrest of one of my office chairs has decent bounce action and isn't loud at all, so when I'm thinking about a problem or when the mood just hits me, I try to keep up my hands as much as possible.  

Carolina Crown is awesome, well, they're all good.  I catch DCI championships when they're on and I love it.

Here's my submission for awesome drummer:

• Like 2