Hawk Attack

twk123

I have a bunch of crows come every morning for their black oil sun flower seed breakfast.  It is interesting to watch their behavior.  They are very group oriented with at least one on "watch" all the time alerting the others.  They communicate constantly.  Smart birds.

In some instances they have been known to come bearing gifts.

_ crow with knife.jpg

_ crow with coins .jpg

post-36163-0-38500000-1466782211_thumb.j

post-36163-0-21300000-1466782221_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

I have a bunch of crows come every morning for their black oil sun flower seed breakfast.  It is interesting to watch their behavior.  They are very group oriented with at least one on "watch" all the time alerting the others.  They communicate constantly.  Smart birds.

In some instances they have been known to come bearing gifts.

_ crow with knife.jpg

_ crow with coins .jpg

What the crow is saying is get me something to eat.

JJK

I wish I had hawks to kill the cats.  I have seen the same level of aggression with mockingbirds, but only for one year.  I'm still not sure why that year was so weird, but have never had any trouble from them before or since.  I speculate they have learned that I am an ally for chasing away the cats. 

Have you asked them?  :D

Not so much as asked, but I do talk to them.

Seems like no one here has seen crows chase away hawks.

JJK

We used to have a few big crows around but I have not seen them recently. So far the Robins have been the biggest nuisance to them and one will even follow the hawk everywhere and screech to warn the other birds that is there, its pretty cool to watch.

• Like 1

There's a lot of if's and what about's but in the end, it was a direct threat to you personally.

It's your property.   It was a threat to you on your property.

Warning:  Disturbing video ahead....

The other side of course is the bird.  In a certain sense he feels it's his property, and most people and I'm sure you, don't mind those thoughts.

There's kind of an odd yet nice natural order of things usually with nature and people.

When that order gets disturbed, and a battle ensues, what tools do you each use?

The bird uses everything he's got, which is speed, sound and talons...nasty talons.  

You get to use anything you've got, which is..whatever you've got.

In this seriously disturbing video, watch an owl attack and kill a human:

(LOL!)

The state says hey here's what we think but no chance we have the resources to relocate the bird that has a property dispute with you

That leaves you to decide then for yourself, but if you ask me:

This is some funny Chit man :)

• Moderators

You guys all talk tough until a federal game warden shows up at your front door with a search and arrest warrant.

Up to 6 months in jail and a 15,000 fine, or probation and fine, and that on your record forever, "hawk killer."

Instead of listening to people tell you what they would never have the balls to do themselves, call the Audubon Society and a liitle old lady will answer and say, "why dear, nesting for a Coopers is only 35 days, so heres what you do, get you an umbrella...."

So listen to the yayhoos and shoot, poison, and/or otherwise harass the hawks to death and spend the next 5 years cringing everytime you see a green and white drive by, or worse, you hear a knock on your door and then "federal agent, search warrant" OR

suck it up for a month and use your umbrella to go back and forth to car. an attached garage would be even better.

Then when they leave cut that tree down so they can never come back.

• Like 4

I wish I had hawks to kill the cats.  I have seen the same level of aggression with mockingbirds, but only for one year.  I'm still not sure why that year was so weird, but have never had any trouble from them before or since.  I speculate they have learned that I am an ally for chasing away the cats. 

I won't tell Stoney this :ph34r:

MKP :-)

• Like 1

You guys all talk tough until a federal game warden shows up at your front door with a search and arrest warrant.

It's always fun and games until the federal game warden shows up.  They are such buzz-kills at hawk shootings.:rolleyes: 

So listen to the yayhoos and shoot, poison, and/or otherwise harass the hawks to death and spend the next 5 years cringing everytime you see a green and white drive by,

... OR suck it up for a month and use your umbrella to go back and forth to car. an attached garage would be even better. Then when they leave cut that tree down so they can never come back.

It's almost 4th of July.  Surely there's no harm in throwing a few fire crackers, is there?  Just to celebrate the season?   ;)

I won't tell Stoney this :ph34r:

MKP :-)

Stoney isn't in my yard messing things up.

• Like 1

Up to 6 months in jail and a 15,000 fine, or probation and fine, and that on your record forever, "hawk killer."

Instead of listening to people tell you what they would never have the balls to do themselves, call the Audubon Society and a liitle old lady will answer and say, "why dear, nesting for a Coopers is only 35 days, so heres what you do, get you an umbrella...."

So listen to the yayhoos and shoot, poison, and/or otherwise harass the hawks to death and spend the next 5 years cringing everytime you see a green and white drive by, or worse, you hear a knock on your door and then "federal agent, search warrant" OR

suck it up for a month and use your umbrella to go back and forth to car. an attached garage would be even better.

In all seriousness, this is what i am going to do. I called the game warden and they said exactly that and any other options is not worth a felony. The hawks have chilled out a bit by now and have not been dive bombing me in the last couple of days so I think we have reached an agreement of sorts. As a joke, i was going to take a whole chicken from Costco and nail it to a post with a "You could be next" sign on it but knowing nature the hawk would just eat the chicken then crap on my car. 

• Like 1

It's pretty clear they are nesting.  It's pretty standard the hawks will continue to aggressively guard the babies until they are grown enough to fly the coup, which is about 8 weeks.

It did occur to me there is a common solution many farmers in my area use to guard against chicken hawks.  You can buy a statue of an owl and move it around every couple of days so the hawk doesn't get used to it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Bird-X-6-in-H-23-in-L-Bird-Repelling-Owl-Statue/3751431

706069145217.jpg

Researched these for my own chickens and the general consensus among chicken forums is that they don't work.

My favorite line in the whole thread. :)

I did that with a bush that had a Robin's nest. They didn't even want my mowing around it.

Just as well, I was going to cut it down anyways.....

Robins dont screw around, they are brave little guys. A while back I rented a walk behind tiller to break the ground for a new garden and our local Robin would follow behind the tiller and grab all the worms and bugs that got brought to the surface. Clever little bugger.