Moving to Minneapolis

Mike M

Hope the move goes well for you.  One nice thing about up there....  I presume every home has gas heat for winter.  (I have a yucky heat pump and really miss gas)

I currently live in central illinois and have a heat pump in my current house, I can't stand it and I'm a hvac guy.

• Like 1

If you're a White Castle fan, one is at Zane at 77th right in heart of Brooklyn Park.

Since I moved to TX, that's one of the things I really miss.   Lars

Yeah I've eaten at that one several times. I've been going up there several times a year for the past 6 years. They have a really nice white Castle in Maple Grove now which isn't far from brooklyn park.

Hope the move goes well for you.  One nice thing about up there....  I presume every home has gas heat for winter.  (I have a yucky heat pump and really miss gas)

I currently live in central illinois and have a heat pump in my current house, I can't stand it and I'm a hvac guy.

Why?

Hope your move goes well and you're happier in Minneapolis. Only been there once on my way to Duluth. 

During my first visit to Minnesota, I was driving on rural roads north of Minneapolis.  I noticed that almost every mailbox was mounted on a post similar to the attached drawing,  The posts kept the mailboxes near the road but the posts were out of snowplow range.  The horizontal supports pivoted on the vertical supports, allowing the mailbox to move if struck by a snowplow.  The most clever part was that by attaching the horizontal support at a slight downward angle, the apparatus was self-centering.  These were almost universal on the stretches of rural roads I was on.

Contrast that with Michigan.  In all my travels throughout Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula, I don't recall seeing a similar mailbox.  Michigan too gets a fair amount of snow, especially the UP.  I guess we're not as clever as Minnesotans, eh? 

Mailbox.pdf

Why?

They're just not very good in cold climates, once the temperature gets below 30° it's really hard for them to keep up and will run for hours upon hours. If the temp is in the 20's you could have your heat set at 70 and the air coming out of your vents will be like 74°. They're great for places that don't really get below freezing put poor in cold climates.

That's why I like ours here in N. Georgia. Fairly efficient, but we'll have few days when the temp drops and the aux heat kicks in. In my mind I see the meter spinning faster and faster. Not like Wisconsin when it would get to -30 though...

Bruce

• Like 1