new to me La Scalas

mr.pee1

So I got a pair of La Salas finally.I got the boxs with the k400s for $275.00 another $200 for the k77s and k55 push on posts..I have some KLH 15 inch speakers I am going to use . What i really need is crossovers. The cabs are berch that have been painted black with some dings but not to bad. These will replace my KG 5.5s w/Creitis crossovers and titanium elements in the horn. Which really brought them to life.

• Like 4

I think the AA or A has any one built them. I could do that.I plan on sanding the cabs and seeing what they are like under the paint. I will respray  fronts because I think it would be to hard to sand in there. One question how long of screws do I need to get to mount woofers and tweeters ? My brotherinlaw paints professionally so a little help there I hope. Oh I'm going to use a Dynamo St 70 amp my friend is building for me

• Like 1

The woofers on LaScalas should have t-nuts (only 4 of them) and are a 10-24 thread. You don't use wood scews. The tweeters are held in place with wood screws, but I can't tell you the size. Without knowing the t/s specs of the klh woofer, it might/might not give you what this design requires.

You are still pretty low on total cost, I would look at getting the right (different 15 inchers that are known to work well) woofers.

And... welcome to the forums!

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

The K33 that Klipsch uses is made by Eminence. The K33 is what Klipsch installs, their brand. Depending on what you might replace them with, i.e., Bob Crites cast frames, the will probably not fit without grinding off the sides of the frames. The stamped frames are fine and will fit with no problem.

Crossovers... it depends on what you have or what you want. The AA/A is a stock crossover. What volume do you listen at? You can just upgrade/replace the capacitors on the crossovers you have (or send them to Bob Crites. DeanG has stopped work unless he chimes in and says otherwise). I built my own from a schematic posted by one of the forum members, and it works great with low power amps, as it is a constant impedance gentle slope crossover. The sky is the limit or you can go active crossover and use a separate amp for each driver, and correct for time delays/ phase, etc. The cost can go up to whatever you want to spend.

Bruce

I don't have crossovers so that's open looks like the Eminence 15 c is the way to go.but I will see what the guy I got the cabs from has. Marvel, what crossover did you build? I kinda like it loud just below the volume that the pictures start to fall off of the wall .

I built crossovers designed by member John Albright for his brother, and the name is DHA2. They are nice, but you may want a steeper slope if you like it loud and want to put some watts to them. I use 2.5-3 watt amps...

Bruce