First time Projector purchase

Shodrewken

You need to answer a few questions that I know of:

How big of a screen?

How far from the screen can/will you put the projector?

How dark will you be able to get the room?

Will you play video games or just TV/movies?

There is a thread on that unit here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2287226-official-benq-ht2050-w1110-owner-settings-thread.html. I think it must be a pretty new model, so it likely replaced something. You should dig that thread up and see what they say about it's predecessor.

You should go to Projector Central and Visual Apex and look at what they can help you with. 

Here is a review: http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq-HT3050-HT2050-projector-review.htm

edit: Another nice comparison for under 1K projectors: http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theater-projectors-under-$1000.htm The 2050 is here with pros and cons...

Edited by mustang guy

I don't have that model but, I have the MH 680 Ben Q and I love it.  Most of the Ben Q's don't need a great throw distance and can be in the front half of the room.  They are excellent PQ wise and don't necessarily need a pitch black room to avoid washout.  Many times I leave a light on in the room during a movie and it's no different that watching TV.

I have read about the rainbow effect due to the color wheel technology.  I has not been found by me or my guest and is a non-issue for the most part.  The PQ is very sharp and will look better than a 1080 TV.  The colors are vivid and well balance.  The black/white contrast is very good.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

The 2050 does very well with your specs. BTW, a 14' throw would allow you to have a 135" screen if your wall will allow it. Keep in mind that you need room for speakers and the bottom of the screen needs to be far enough off the floor to see from the second row. A 135" 16:9 screen would be 66"H X 118"W not including the screen borders. A 110" screen would be 54"H X 96"W not including the screen borders. A 110" screen would be brighter with the lights up a little in the room.

Have you thought about what screen you would use?

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

If you're looking at the 2050, you might as well get the 3050, it's on promotion right now and is also sub-$1K.

Perhaps. The 3050 is a different projector and may offer things he doesn't need. Also, he would be giving up the 33.1ms input lag for a 49.7 ms of the 3050.

I posted this link above: http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq-HT3050-HT2050-projector-review.htm

Edited by mustang guy

The most important question..................What took you so long!!!

Seriously! I'm glad the time has finally come!

If you're looking at the 2050, you might as well get the 3050, it's on promotion right now and is also sub-$1K.

This is true, and falls in my under $1k budget.

Perhaps. The 3050 is a different projector and may offer things he doesn't need. Also, he would be giving up the 33.1ms input lag for a 49.7 ms of the 3050.

I do play games, but not twitch based competitive shooter games. More like rpgs, God of War, Street Fighter, racing games, and single player shooter that aren't so fast paced.

I posted this link above: http://www.projector...ctor-review.htm

I am currently reading this.

Have you thought about what screen you would use?

I'm still looking into that, any recommendations?

Ultimately I just want something that's bigger than my 64" Samsung, and will hold me over till I own my home and I can spend a few thousand on a stellar projector in a dedicated movie room.

Thanks again for all your guys info!

Edited by Shodrewken

If you have the room depth acoustically transparent front projection screen is pretty cool. You hide your speakers etc behind it like in the movie houses. Check out Youth's build. They cost a bit more and the screen is 3' or so from the wall, but it is some cool stuff.

You can get a 2050 screen bundle with 120" screen, HDMI cable, mounts, IR repeater and remote delivered for $1,095: http://www.visualapex.com/projector-package-deals/home-theater-projector-package.asp?for-the=HT2050&Screen=FF_120

Edited by mustang guy

Check out Elite Screens.  Good price and a great match for the projector.  Get an electric one.  It's a nice feature and I've not experienced any trouble.  What size room is this going to be in and how far away will you be.

Edited by derrickdj1

You can get a 2050 screen bundle with 120" screen, HDMI cable, mounts, IR repeater and remote delivered for $1,095: http://www.visualape...0&Screen=FF_120

I'm looking at this bundle right now!

Check out Elite Screens.

Gonna give them a peek too.

Now, I know this room is far from ideal, but its the best, large area I have right now. The sitting position is about 13-14 feet away.

IMG_2020_zpsqkat8vkc.jpg

You can get a 2050 screen bundle with 120" screen, HDMI cable, mounts, IR repeater and remote delivered for $1,095: http://www.visualape...0&Screen=FF_120

I'm looking at this bundle right now!

Check out Elite Screens.

Gonna give them a peek too.

Now, I know this room is far from ideal, but its the best, large area I have right now. The sitting position is about 13-14 feet away.

IMG_2020_zpsqkat8vkc.jpg

If you could build a wall just to the left of your circuit breaker box, and put the racks seen on the left inside that room with racks on the right with a narrow isle down the middle of the two racks to the breaker box, you would have less clutter, a nice wall, and you wouldn't have to contend with the breaker box with screen positioning. The way I see it you would have a 144" (12') wide room (9 x 16" studs) give or take. All it would take are a bunch of studs and bunch of drywall... A 12' wall is wide enough for a 120" screen which is under 9' wide.

Edited by mustang guy

I just bought this projector and totalcomfort and I got it installed, single best upgrade I have done PERIOD. The image this produces is amazing for a sub 1k projector. I paired this with a 120" silver ticket screen, I opted to get the grey screen to help with ambient light. I could not be happier.

• Like 1

So I did it! I purchased the BenQ HT2050 last night with a Elite Screens 110" motorized drop down screen. I could have done a bigger screen but that would of required me to move my sub somewhere else, but it sounds amazing where it is. I measured and tapped off the area where the new screen is going to be and its a HUGE jump in size from my 64" Samsung. Everything should get here by Wednesday this coming week. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and info.

• Like 2

Hey fellas, the wife gave me the go ahead on a projector for my movie room. Needs to be under $1000 though. I've been looking at the Benq HT2050 but I would love any of your guys input or experiences with closely priced units.

Definitely go with an older model Epson. i had the same budget last year and got an Epson 8700uB, it is FANTASTIC, and is much better than sub $1000 newer models. Can find super cheap OEM original Osram bulbs on eBay, as well. (not generic crap)

Oops, i just saw that you got the BenQ, hope you enjoy it! :)

Edited by ninjai18

Hey fellas, the wife gave me the go ahead on a projector for my movie room. Needs to be under $1000 though. I've been looking at the Benq HT2050 but I would love any of your guys input or experiences with closely priced units.

Definitely go with an older model Epson. i had the same budget last year and got an Epson 8700uB, it is FANTASTIC, and is much better than sub $1000 newer models. Can find super cheap OEM original Osram bulbs on eBay, as well. (not generic crap)

Oops, i just saw that you got the BenQ, hope you enjoy it! :)

You are a couple days too late. He ordered already...