The newbie question/advice on home audio.

gmartok

Going to start this post by apologizing about my ignorance about the the topic and hoping that many of you will want to share your thoughts on the matter.   Here is my situation in a nutshell.  Purchased a new condo small condo in Ny and decided to upgrade my tv and home audio system over all. Vendor is offering one solution with a G42 sound bar and another one which he highly recommends with a 3 channel G28 speaker system, which is also roughly 1200.00 more than the G42. 

I will be sitting 8 to 10 feet from tv and the system will be attached to a Rotel amp.

What are your thoughts about both systems? Why would you pick one over the other?

Many many thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not as familiar with the Gallery speakers, but it looks like the G42 costs $700 new, which sounds like it would put your vendor's G28 offer at $1900.

If you're only looking at having a two or three channel system, I'd suggest looking away from the Gallery series entirely and at either the Reference Premiere or Heritage lines.

The top-shelf Reference Premiere speakers (the RP-280F) can be had for $1200 a pair, and unless you like to rattle the windows, they'll make all the bass you'll need without a subwoofer.

You can also get the Heresy III speakers for $2000 a pair, which would be my personal choice. I have a pair of RP-280Fs and had recently come into a much older pair of Heresies, which I like a lot more. You may want a subwoofer for them, as they don't make very much bass, but they're tirelessly musical. I use them for music and video games with great results.

Soundbars are often pegged as being surround sound, but to my ear, they're an enhanced version of TV speakers at best. Since it sounds like you're looking at more of a two/three channel system anyway, these options would work very well for you! It's my preference to have a great two-channel system over a mediocre surround system.  (Plus, you can always start with a great 2-channel system and build it into surround later!)