65 Inch TV for Blu-rays and DVD

Zen Traveler

I have spent the last few weeks browsing the AVS Forum researching various brands/technology of TVs and think I've reached a price threshold but feel for my goals a better set can be had. It seems the Vizio P65 -C1 or possibly an M series, but both seemed plagued with issues. The former sells for $2k and that is our upper limit.

Our HT is below and we sit 10' from the TV and can control the light. Primary viewing will be Blu-rays and the streaming apps look interesting but not essential. So it seems an upper end 1080P set would be sufficient and that going 4K wouldn't yield us much (although seems to be the common tech today). Does anyone have a recommendation on one closer to the $1,000 range?

I also have been reading about HDR/Dolby vision and think although a plus--it may be better to consider that a couple years from now and upgrade again in a couple, three years.  Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks. {Note: I put DVD in the title because we have a ton of those as well}

I own eight Panasonic TV's Zen, four are Plasma's and four LCD's. I have not seen the latest products they offer as I am not in need, however the latest review for one of their new sets got pretty decent reviews. If you have a Fry's near you I think they are offering the 4K 65" sets for about $900 right now. If you can take a look for yourself you can probably get a better idea of it suiting your needs. Here is the link. I think there is a coupon code to get it down to $899. It won't allow me to look for sure since they only offer local pick up for this set and I don't have any stores local to me.

http://www.frys.com/product/8770511

I bought a Sharp 65" LED two years ago from Best Buy for my outside TV.  I paid about a grand with free delivery (added a 5 yr warranty for another $200).  It's been hanging on my back patio 365/24/7 with no problems, and the picture is very good IMO.

Now you can get the 4K Sharp 65" from BB for $1100, and free delivery.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-65-class-64-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-gray/4970100.p?id=bb4970100&skuId=4970100

My son bought a well-researched 65" 4K TV earlier this year for $1,000.  It was a Vizio, I think a D model. 

Let me do a little research and I'll point you to the exact one.

+++

Edit:

It was the Vizio D model.  It's currently listed by Walmart at $1418 but my son got is for 1K in Feb 2016.  He bought that exact model because his search criteria was brand name 65" 4K for under $1,000.  If the current price is $1400 I would certainly re-evaluate and look at other TV's in that very competitive price range.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-D65u-D2-65-Class-4K-Ultra-HD-2160p-120Hz-LED-Smart-HDTV-4K-x-2K/46819838?u1=ipwyg0hr1p00s3dy0009i&oid=437728.1&wmlspartner=je6NUbpObpQ&sourceid=18993191423472040442&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

Here is the conversation I had on AVS.com.  It looks like most of those folks liked the M model.  After he got his I have not done any research since.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2329065-help-me-navigate-minefield-my-new-tv.html

The M model is technically better but the D model has great reviews for TV's at the 1K price point.  The big knock on the D model was poor sound quality.  Since my son was never going to use the on-board speakers due to his separate 5.1 setup the SQ was never an issue.

Edited by wvu80

It was the Samsung D model. It's currently listed by Walmart at $1418 but my son got is for 1K in Feb 2016

Thanks wvu80. I have been following those threads at AVS but I believe you mean Vizio TVs and not Samsung.

I think there is a coupon code to get it down to $899. It won't allow me to look for sure since they only offer local pick up for this set and I don't have any stores local to me.

Thanks teaman for the recommendation. We have Fry's near here and like our panny P42-S60 and are planning on moving it to the bedroom. It replaced a 65" RP and we were only going to use it until the Samsung DLP went out but it's still going strong after a couple of bulb replacements--It's time for an upgrade in our main viewing area.

{Note: Right now I mostly still listen to DVD-A/SACDs with several concerts thrown in.}

• Like 1

Evidently the new Vizio M Series is being sent out but they had a problem with the 65" sets from what I gather at AVS...Honestly, there appeared to be more problems on the P series than their reputation seemed to indicate--If you got a good one it was great but quite a few people were either picky of having issues...

On that note, there were several comments that spoke of possible user error but I don't want a tremendous learning curve to watch tv. :) Anyway, thanks for the replies and recommendations.

Edited by Zen Traveler

Thanks wvu80. I have been following those threads at AVS but I believe you mean Vizio TVs and not Samsung.

Yeah I linked to the Viz but kept calling in a Samsung.  Thanks for the correction.  I am putting together an Overnight Sensation XO right now and simply not paying attention to my post.

I have the m series in 55inch. Very nice set. The D series is essentially a 1080 set which is the major difference. Also gets great reviews. If you feel no need for 4k skip it and get it next time

I see that the Vizio P65-C1 is available at BBY for $2k and I could use the vizio 5% card. We could swing it, but it's still over-budget...The New M65 looked promising but evidently they had some problems with those before they shipped...If anyone hears of a 4th of July sale keep me posted. I am also looking at the Panasonic and still weighing my options for "future proof" vs best deal now and stated purpose (Blu ray/DVD upconversion)

Thanks for the help already.

Edited by Zen Traveler

Costco has the m70 for 1950 ☺

Yeah, I saw that but 65" is the largest we can accommodate. I have been trying to keep up with the Vizio threads at AVS, but honestly there appear to be quite a few problems that the company is to trying to address but...

I really don' t like to pay retail but folks have made a good argument for the P65--But then again, it seems for $2K things aren't as 'perfect' as some people expect, while others seem to be dealing with a learning curve. That said, evidently quite a few have been replaced because of defects and I wonder if the newer ones being shipped are going to have a better track record.

All of these comments are from browsing the Vizio M and P threads while only glancing at Samsung to see what folks were saying about comparable models (which have come down in price to mirror the vizio, it appears to me). Anyway, thanks for the feedback and I may head to BBY to order the Sony UHP-H1 and see what the experts there and Sears have in stock or say about my predicament (i.e., being just as happy for a $1K set as I would be for a $2K set, because I would rather spend money on content).

Edited by Zen Traveler

I did some considerable research myself and found a site that I thought was pretty much spot on.  You likely found it, I'll link to it at the end here.

Today without a doubt, Samsung makes the best TVs.  There's really no arguing, but their high end ones will cost you a lot.

Vizio is now one of the bettere makes.

When I ordered mine, it came during the week of black friday, and it came damaged, the screen was cracked, big jagged line when turned on.

Replaced TV, works just fine, it's still the first year but never an issue so far.

1) Samsung makes the best TVs.

2) Buying a Samsung low end TV is not necessarily better than a Vizio or other brand.

3) 4K TV is a different step up.   I will argue that a decent 4K TV will always look sharper than most any 1080TV.

4) With that said, the richness of color, motion flow and other issues are also important.  Sharpness is key but is there with most every 4k TV.  M Panasonic looks nicer than my Vizio, but the Vizio is far sharper.

5) To get the most of any TV, you NEED (not want) a calibration disc.  Borrow one, buy one, whatever, but they make a HUGE difference.  10 minutes to perform.

6) With TVs, at any given time, there is a price/size ratio where the limit is reached and the cost skyrockets.   A while back a 42" TV was big, and costly.  Today you can get up to about 60" or 65" at a very low price, after which the cost skyrockets.  Another couple years 70" sets will all be cheap.

7) When looking at reviews, focus on the weaknesses of a particular TV, and decide which weaknesses you like best.  It's a far better way to buy a TV than to look for what features you want.  For example, Vizio is known to have some color fadeout as you move to the sides.  My mom, for example, remarked about this on hers comparing it to her Samsung.  However, I have one, and have no issues with it.  She was watching from a very side angle to see it from the kitchen.  The ability to process motion is probably the most important thing in a set besides color quality.  

The site for TV reviews that gets it exactly right:

http://www.rtings.com/tv

Pretty much everything they say, I found to be spot on, about each review.  

You'll see they like the Samsungs, just like those above who  have them.

Vizio follows along quite nicely.

But again, the pitfalls of buying a TV are their weaknesses, not which has the strengths you want.  Bad motion flow, poor color, are fatal flaws.

• Like 1

in fall 2014, we decided we needed to upgrade.  since much of our indoor leisure is spent as couch potatoes, finding something to entertain us visually was an important investment to us, and were willing to look at it like that (translation: be open to spending a little more now to enjoy over the long haul.)  that said, we shopped for best affordable picture quality as most important criteria.  shopping in person @ best buy etc led us to believe Samsung had the best result over Vizio in a close race.  the women at my place wanted the curved screen tech, which wasn't such a big deal to me, so ok.

we landed on the Samsung 55" curved UHD that I think is also 4k upscale compatible, and have been very well pleased, with no real regrets [or as they say on the tv ad - regerts  :P ]

I'm searching for the model # we have, because of course I don't remember.  but in searching for 2 yr old model numbers is not smacking me in the face with anything I recognize.  as I recall, retail on our set then was about $1800.  when I was at BB recently, I was in awe of the newer, larger, more brilliant models out now.

my advice, fwiw, is do your diligence, filter down to which brands & sizes meet your criteria - price, picture quality, whatever those are - and go for it.  we love our Samsung, couldn't be much happier.

good luck sir.