Need Your Opinion On a Pair of La Scalas

tristar

They've been kept in an indoor closet at room temperature. Aside from a few scuffs from closet clutter, the shipping boxes are still intact. Assuming all is well, I'm just wondering what a likely price range would be. I know how subjective this is and how a motivated buyer or seller can skew things.

Only looking for an estimate.

A typical range for the LS with AA crossovers in excellent shape would be from $950 to $1,600 depending on all the usual factors.  La Scalas in good shape can fetch $1250 all day long, but most of those are a bit more recent than 1970, like late 1970's to 1990's.

+++

Didn't your wife notice there was a giant pair of speakers in the closet for the last 46 years?  :blink:  :lol:

This is spot on for the price estimate. Its funny how some things are worth more still in the box but you should definitely let the speakers out and check them out. My Grandfather passed and had an old 1970s original Sting Ray bike still in the factory box from when he owned a bike shop in Beatrice, NE. We got it quoted and they said its worth far more if you never open the box. A bike shop even wanted to display it, in the box. Why would you have such a beautiful vintage item but never see or enjoy it?   :blink:

Edited by twk123
  • Like 2

Most collectIbles are indeed worth premium when sealed new in box... these probably are not beyond the price point of a mint condition pair. Mainly because an owner will indeed open them and use them anyway.

They should be opened and made sure that all the corners, tops and sides are still mint and perfect.

New in box does not mean mint condition...

• Like 3

Well try the new in box idea on ebay see what happens. Then if that does not work open them puppies up and listen to them....have you ever heard a pair of LaScalas ? I still say the serial numbers on the box somewhere....that will be needed to confirm what year they are from.

Nobody is going to make a Shrine with these in sealed boxes as the Altar.

NOBODY knows for sure what condition they are in yet.

So, you will get semi cautious bids, that will fall short of fully informed.

I would -  Have an able buddy come over. Beer stays in fridge till all done.

Get them in a relatively  open floor area in a well lit room. Hopefully daytime, filtered natural dispersing sunlight behind cameraperson.

Brush dust, sand particles from ALL sides of boxes before approaching clean fresh heavy blanket placed on the floor.

Have your Missus closeup videotape the factory seals, and box corners.and the serial label on box.

Somehow document the date,  with something in addition to the auto digital display.

Have another, ready w still photo camera for the key shots, for your "Ad".Still photo of those also.

I wouldn't worry about pausing the video while the stills are done.

Cut open the factory seal, and show quick inside when opened up.

NOW, at this step, go wash hands, especially if Raw Birch.

Take them out of the box in some intellegent planned manner, on the blanket.

Video cab, especially corner, front, and info label closeups.

Repeat w second speaker.

Don't forget to take the key still photos, just a handful. Label closups LEGIBLE. Those will entice a prospect to view video.

Pack back up, or leave exposed for prospective buyer if you can leave them there for awhile and theres no dogs, cats, children or dish throwing wives in the home. Cover with blankets anyway.

Put video up on Youtube, very accessible to play for anyone w/o complications.

Place ad here on forum, forget Craigslist BS, unless you are able to be VERY discerning of contacts and question them over phone like adopting out your child.

Ebay ? I dunno. I'd stick here.

NOW, after this, you will get the highest offers.

For one or two hour of "hassle", you will be repaid hundreds or more.

No longer a crap shoot "What's behind curtain #1 ?????????????????"

You have a rare item, basically one of a kind, and I would ask for "bids" by forum members over a few weeks of exposure, making sure bumped to top every few days.

After  a period, I dunno, 2 weeks minimum though, contact highest bidders and inform them of current winning bid.

Don't sell too fast too low.

Be open to ship via Uship, as in the "Pony express" sticky in Garage Sale here.

Arranged by Buyer of course.

No effort to you other than re boxing at appropriate time.

I spelled all this out cause I feel all details are important points.

But then I've been told I don't know as much as I think I do here, so scratch the above.

Whatever you do, GLWS.            :)  :)  :)      Lars

Edited by Karsoncookie

OK, a couple of things

1. This isn't a bidding site. State a price and if it's too high, you can always bring it down or sell them elsewhere.

2. You WILL NOT get top dollar for these "one of a kind" LaScalas here, most people feel they should get a deal

3. Don't go wash your hands, go buy a pair of ultra high grade cotton gloves so if they are the Altar, you can video the pleasure they bring you. This could be a source of additional revenue on youtube. REPEAT with 2nd speaker to double your pleasure and fun. And send a copy of the un-boxing so cookie can take part in the pleasure. :) :) :)

Mark

If you can take your time with this sale, your completeness and detail of presentation AND asking price posture will get you the most return.

To start, I would "ask" notably more than "Mint" ones sell for.

There are prospects out there w the desire to possess uniqueness, with the funds to do so.

Remember, you will clearly be asking for bidders w them understanding they are clearly vying to be winning bid.

A different posture than saying "Make offer" done.         YMMV     Lars

My two cents, I'd keep them in the box, list them on ebay.

They can only be "unopened" once.  Once they are in fact, open, there can never be 100% confidence on the part of a buyer that you are not lying and just stuffed them back inside the box.

List them as pickup only.  Buyer can open on pickup, if they decide for any reason they don't want them, they don't pay and you both give each other positive feedback (no harm done on either side)

Now they are open and now you know for sure.

Just hope the poor buyer didn't drive 5 hours one way....ouch.

• Like 1

Do the TOS disallow "Bidding" or "Auction " style sale ?  

I was going to suggest the cotton gloves after hand washing, but figured I'd be giggled at over it.

Zeus - I'm quite sure many here would vicariously enjoy the video, not just the Cookie.   Lars

It could be a posting by a insufficiently gruntled banned former member, just ROTFL about getting us all horned up.   Lars

Ok, I'm sorry, Dude's got 2 posts. Who knows if this is for real or not?

Put a price on them. Tell us the location. 

Mark

Edited by Karsoncookie

It could be a posting by a banned former member, just ROTFL about getting us all horned up.   Lars

Ok, I'm sorry, Dude's got 2 posts. Who knows if this is for real or not?

Put a price on them. Tell us the location. 

Mark

Or, it could me me!!

I've done some evil stuff in my day!  :emotion-14:  :emotion-14:  :emotion-14:  :emotion-14:  :emotion-14:

Geez, should've stopped at two horny devils. Or was that two beers? Get confused.....

Mark