LaScala "Bass" Bins

JoeDirt

Last night I was in the basement listening to my LaScalas, sitting to where the mid was jus below ear level, enjoying the sound immensely.  When I turned up the volume slightly, I heard my sub kick on and now the sound was even better.  So I thinks to myself, "Self - How cool would it be to build bass bins for the LaScalas that were actually active subs?"

Electricity shot thru my veins and my thoughts quickened.  I'd always wanted KHorns, but lack the corners for them.  If I could inject deeper bass into my LaScalas I would be about as close to KHorns as possible - without going over.

I've seen Bass Bins and Plans, but never ACTIVE plans.

This would do two things - raise the horns to above ear level & remove an extra sub from taking up floorspace.

My LaScalas are black, so matching them would be fairly easy.  I have one 12HG Sub that I could place in a test bin and prove my theory.

Anyone ever done this before?  I'd much rather follow a path to enlightenment than blaze my own.

The best subwoofer for La Scala's is a horn loaded one for seamless transition.

Bests the K-horn from better midbass and lower lows.

Tuba home theater (THT) Table Tuba or F-20 are the best options.

I came here to say this. :emotion-21:

The LaScala folded horn itself is what makes it cut off at lower frequencies so simply putting an active sub wont help you. I would get a Dayton Audio Reference 15'' HF subwoofer driver:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390hf-4-15-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-468?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Then get the plans for the Cinema F-20 which is the easiest to build and a 300W to 500W sub amp and you should be good to go. Duratex would probably be your best option for paining black. Rustoleum black truck bed liner works well too bit I have never used it for something that large.

If you want it to pop a little, Parts Express has some nice corner protectors for square and rounded edges:

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/case-cabinet-corners/647

Edited by twk123

Not to high jack this thread but where does one find detailed prints and instructions to build,either the F20 or the THT?

I've downloaded plans for the F20 and find confusing at best.

Thanks, hope this helps the original poster too.

Mark

Mark, its the Tuba Home Theater:

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

Thanks, I was confusing it with the Table Tuba.

Mark

If you want to hear both a Tuba Table and an F20 I am happy to demo, just send me a PM.

The F20 is really an easy build, the TT a PITA but more space efficient.

The plans are very detailed for any BFM build type and not at all a pain if you simply follow the instructions plus there is an entire forum to help you if any questions arise.

Cannot see how anybody would have an issue with that.

The F-20 was designed by a BFM follower who learned much of what he knows from Bill himself but he did not teach him everything he knows.

Mark, its the Tuba Home Theater:

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

Thanks, I was confusing it with the Table Tuba.

Mark

If you want to hear both a Tuba Table and an F20 I am happy to demo, just send me a PM.

The F20 is really an easy build, the TT a PITA but more space efficient.

Sent you a PM. Thanks for the offer!

Mark

• 1 month later...