Deang

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really appreciate it if this thread was reserved for discussion related to the Type AA build. Please start another thread if you'd like to discuss other networks.

So, is anyone building, or thinking about it?

• Like 1

So, who thinks their midrange is too hot?

Anyone want to talk about attenuation?

Resistors?

I was going to ask this at some point, so this is timely..... but does the method of changing the tap on the autoformer, and substituting a 6.8uf cap for the 13uf cap work for a Khorn?

Sure does. Just move the midrange wire from 4 to 3 and change the cap.

Another way: move the wire from 4 to 3, and then put a 15 ohm/20 watt resistor in parallel with the driver. Just slide the leads under the screws for negative and positive. This method allows for retaining the 13uF capacitor.

Get adventurous and try it both ways - they sound a little different.

Would a Mills 15 ohm, 12 watt resistor work?  Like this?

https://www.parts-express.com/mills-15-ohm-12w-non-inductive-resistor--005-15

That's what I normally use.

If you're really into driving the loudspeakers to their limits, you should probably go with a 20 watt resistor.

I know it sounds stupid, but different resistor types do effect the sound - however, this is in parallel, not in series - and I've just never given that one much thought before. I just developed a habit of buying the best parts I could afford.

I use Mundorf when I feel like I need a higher powered resistor. Definitely overpriced, just like the rest of their stuff - but the quality is undeniable.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mundorf-20-watt/15.0-ohm-mundorf-m-resist-supreme-resistors/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

which inexpensive capacitors in battery bias mode give the best subjective result ?  (polyester? polypropylene? bipolar electrolytic?) are Dayton's bypass foil and film caps helpful in some instances? -- or do they tend to shift a spotlight emphasis to higher harmonics?  I have battery biased vintage MBGO one of my K-horn Type A  and would like to investigate modern film caps and perhaps electrolytic in charge coupled mode - but they need to be cheap for my budget.

hi Zoef  - I'd really like to pay no more than what Erse Pulse-X cost  - -  I'm curious about the "tone" of electrolytic caps battery biased and wonder how Nichicon FG back to back with their center ++ junction biased with say 9vdc and 200K would sound vs cheap film caps  (?)

On 6/30/2016 at 10:22 AM, Deang said:

A thread on a battery biased network is coming too - it's the only way to get really awesome results when you're on a tight budget.

I was looking forward to this one, is this thread still on the way?

On ‎2‎-‎9‎-‎2016 at 11:42 PM, karlson3 said:

hi Zoef  - I'd really like to pay no more than what Erse Pulse-X cost  - -  I'm curious about the "tone" of electrolytic caps battery biased and wonder how Nichicon FG back to back with their center ++ junction biased with say 9vdc and 200K would sound vs cheap film caps  (?)

Budget wise i would not know of a "better" cap to use. One comes to mind..wima mkp10.... but now i'm being a heretic ha!

in some cases of basshorn, amplifier (solid stste), and basshorn driver,  a really low D.C.R. might sound "lean" - but in those cases a small resistance could be added to the inductor, - ERSE sells sever lines of good steel core inductors.   I have a couple of "2.5mH" custom Elecvtraprint (read 2.11mH on my cheap and cheerful ESR meter) with 0.1 ohm D.C. R. - there's no gap in the lamination stack.  Small differences in response can become "big" to the audiophile   :lol:

• Chad unlocked this topic
  • dtel's wife locked this topic
  • Chad unlocked and locked this topic