Deang

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are supposed to be 13s and 2s........not 12s and 2.2s..........c'mon mister expert.  :rolleyes:

You also need to find terminal strips with a better fit for the connections........and those can't be used with 12ga speaker wires unless they have a terminal lug.  I just sold one of your ALK Jr. networks from a few years ago.........and you are still using the wrong size terminal strips.  :)

Ever listen to Jupiter caps?  They don't sound real.  :o

Otherwise.......those networks.........Love em.  :)

The terminal strips are the same size as the Cinch part that Klipsch used - they will accept #8 spades and ring tongues. I can get 14 AWG wire into the Panduit spades I use, which is plenty good enough. Caps are within 1% of the stated value, and 1% of each other - so within 10%. 12s are fine too - PK sure used a lot of them. 

Jupiters "don't sound real"? Okay, well, that's a first. 

I know everyone seems to love Jupiters.  Here's why I said "they don't sound real".  It's an opinion.  We all hear differently.  Don't beat me up too badly.  :)

Of every capacitor I EVER tried the Jupiters were completely different.

Maybe it's because of how I got introduced to them.  I hadn't thought of this before but here it is.

They were in an NBS preamp I purchased from a forum member.  I THOUGHT I knew what I was getting when I bought the NBS because I have a Peach, knew what an NBS was, talked to people, etc.  But it sounded completely different than I expected and totally different than all of my other equipment.  Not what I was used to hearing.

At about the same time another forum member got an NBS with Jupiters and was telling me the exact same thing.  We came to the conclusion to try recapping it.  I changed to my beloved Auricaps.  Been using them for years and have been happy.  Well..........things immediately returned to the sound I expected and was used to.

What I experienced with the Jupiters was a totally rolled off top end, huge increase in midrange, and general "vintage" tone.  They made my equipment sound like a vintage system..........to me.  Just my opinion.  I couldn't get rid of them quick enough.  Fortunately, someone actually paid me money for them used,

Here's a further opinion.  The cap manufacturers are doing just what the cable and interconnect guys have been doing........tuning the parts to achieve certain characteristics.  Jupiters surely have "a sound"...........whereas the older Auricaps are just more transparent to me.

So that's why I said that about Jupiters.

2 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

I know everyone seems to love Jupiters.  Here's why I said "they don't sound real".  It's an opinion.  We all hear differently.  Don't beat me up too badly.  :)

Of every capacitor I EVER tried the Jupiters were completely different.

Maybe it's because of how I got introduced to them.  I hadn't thought of this before but here it is.

They were in an NBS preamp I purchased from a forum member.  I THOUGHT I knew what I was getting when I bought the NBS because I have a Peach, knew what an NBS was, talked to people, etc.  But it sounded completely different than I expected and totally different than all of my other equipment.  Not what I was used to hearing.

At about the same time another forum member got an NBS with Jupiters and was telling me the exact same thing.  We came to the conclusion to try recapping it.  I changed to my beloved Auricaps.  Been using them for years and have been happy.  Well..........things immediately returned to the sound I expected and was used to.

What I experienced with the Jupiters was a totally rolled off top end, huge increase in midrange, and general "vintage" tone.  They made my equipment sound like a vintage system..........to me.  Just my opinion.  I couldn't get rid of them quick enough.  Fortunately, someone actually paid me money for them used,

Here's a further opinion.  The cap manufacturers are doing just what the cable and interconnect guys have been doing........tuning the parts to achieve certain characteristics.  Jupiters surely have "a sound"...........whereas the older Auricaps are just more transparent to me.

So that's why I said that about Jupiters.

Interesting... perhaps something about the application but I think you also need to be very specific about which model of Jupiters you are talking about.  Where yours the new round copper foil version?  What I had heard in VRD's was the older square version but I forget the model.  Their website was out of date for a long time so it made it difficult to identify what was what with them.  Also, there were the lower voltage version for crossovers.  I only have the older square version of those in some crossovers.  No roll off of highs in those applications in my experience.  I simply cannot say that Jupiters have a "sound" in my crossover.  I only hear music.  

I used Vcaps in the VRD's and the Duelund CAST copper caps in my NBS.  Thankfully, this only needs a small value cap or it would have broken the bank.  I'm happy and done !

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think my Blueberry Xtreme had Auricaps.  Did Mark use those in the Peach too?   Your familiarity with them might have swayed you a bit but that isn't to ignore your experience with the Jupiters.  Even with the stock Russian caps from Craig the NBS sounded better and was a lot quieter than the Blueberry.  Very much alike though.  

edit: nope... looks like they were Hovland Musicaps.

Early versions of the Peach and Blueberry used Hovlands. The leads on the Hovlands are thick, and were a pain to solder into the PCBs - and being film and foil, were heavier too - which were causing some to pull away from the board due to rough handling during shipping. Hence, the Auricaps in the later models.

I don't have any experience with using or hearing the Jupiters in preamplifiers or amplifiers, just Type A and Type AA crossovers. I think the sound is transparent, natural, and balanced. Absent from the sound is that edgy quality you get from most metallized types. Auricap, Clarity, OIMP V-cap, and Mundorf are exceptions, but even these fine products tend to make my LaScalas sound too forward. Good films do better in that regard, but none make my LaScalas sing like the Jupiters. I still like the Jensens quite a bit too. 

I had asked that the thread be unpinned after the shit-kicking I got from Roy. At this point, I don't mind, especially since someone else asked that it be pinned - I also get emails asking about the thread. Either way, I'm good.

I know this might sound weird but I am LOVING the AAs I just did with Dayton 1% caps that cost like $2.00 each.  It's very surprising to me.  I have lots of equipment and speakers to listen to and I can't get enough of these unmatched bastard lascalas I just put together with recapped AA with these Daytons.  I am using a Peach and VRDs.........and I tell ya I am loving it.  And I never use anything cheaper than an Auricap.  I guess times have changed.

I'm sure the exotic caps sound much more refined but I give a big +1 to Dayton for their great sounding cheap caps.

24 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

I know this might sound weird but I am LOVING the AAs I just did with Dayton 1% caps that cost like $2.00 each.  It's very surprising to me.  I have lots of equipment and speakers to listen to and I can't get enough of these unmatched bastard lascalas I just put together with recapped AA with these Daytons.  I am using a Peach and VRDs.........and I tell ya I am loving it.  And I never use anything cheaper than an Auricap.  I guess times have changed.

I'm sure the exotic caps sound much more refined but I give a big +1 to Dayton for their great sounding cheap caps.

Not weird at all.  The Dayton caps are a great value, and I have them installed in quite a few speakers.  I'm at a point now where I'm experimenting with some others, including ClarityCaps and Jantzen, and I don't think they are all that "exotic" like the Jupiter's, which are pretty much off the price scale for me.  And, I certainly agree with Dean regarding your other components!