Deang

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Thread bump, and a great thread it is.....finally getting around to building a new pair of networks with all new parts including Jupiter VT and Audiocap PPT Theta caps.  The Jupiters are huge, and I've had to reassess my board size and layout for which this thread has been very helpful.  Thank you again Dean for all of this information. 

Are you using a K77 ?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a learning curve thing, amazing thread, cool Jupiter's btw, I wondered if they would fry the original tweeters... original being that I just figured everyone has the K33, K55 & K77 set-up and if the drivers would need an upgrade too.  The Jupiter made me think there's some "horsepower" inside it.  I know that's a broad question, (here's the but part -->) but I have an older 54 Klipschorn with the K500-5000 crossovers and there's not a lot of specific remedies that I've found, except that I should change that board out, and I haven't seen a driver recommendation other than the 3 regular one's while reading here this evening, unless I missed it.... I know there's lot's of drivers "out there" and I respect the original thread topic and don't really need an answer, I'll always continue to read and wonder and eventually figure it out. Nevertheless, I have a leftover K77M square from a Heresy that I changed out with a CT110 that Mr Crites sold, that I could use in lieu of messing with the older University and leaking metal can cap on my Klipschorn, hence, the question, not intended to be a hit and run...

• 11 months later...

I think some are conflating Al's ESNs with something like the popular and more conventional LR-4 alignment. These are two very different things!

I see alot of correlation between room size, power levels and the type of network a person prefers. 

The AA is certainly not the end all in design sophistication, but it does sound very good to a lot of people - and it's a safe build for me, as I've never received a single complaint since building them, while I can't say that about other designs.

Tweeter protection: tough call. While the K-77 isn't very robust, it does seem to withstand anything except an act of sheer stupidity, or a junk piece of gear. I add the diodes if I'm asked to, or if it's obvious to me the person is going to drive them to insane power levels.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I visited this thread many times over the past couple of years and always loved the Jupiter AA's that Dean built. Years ago I built a set of Alk Universals, and I was never pleased with the sound so disconnected them shoved the LaScala's back in the corner and focused on other speakers. Anyway, fast forward to now and I felt the desire to give the LaScala's another try and a new lease on life. I figured there was no better way than to come back here and follow Dean's lead. I also added a pair of CT-120's which seem to help.

I spent a fair amount of time on the layout which I'm pleased with. The enjoyment came from reading, sourcing, preparing and assembling these. I drive these LaScala's with a 2A3 amp I built, and the whole setup works well.

IMG_6148.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

IMG_6146.jpg

• Like 2

I guess that is important... I think they are great, better than I expected.  I've been listening for a few hours, all different types of genres and volumes.  No issues. I was concerned that at higher volumes the sound quality would degrade, based on comments about the AA, but I'm pleased.

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2020 at 11:07 PM, gparkhill said:

I guess that is important... I think they are great, better than I expected.  I've been listening for a few hours, all different types of genres and volumes.  No issues. I was concerned that at higher volumes the sound quality would degrade, based on comments about the AA, but I'm pleased.

Look great, sound great, and were fun to build. Based on a proven design.  What’s not to like?

Any lessons learned?

Things to emphasize?

Thoughts on parts?

Notes on assembly, such as mounting OT soldering?

Thoughts on value / return on investment?

Appreciate anything you can offer the community.

On 4/7/2020 at 8:39 PM, gparkhill said:

I spent a fair amount of time on the layout which I'm pleased with. The enjoyment came from reading, sourcing, preparing and assembling these. I drive these LaScala's with a 2A3 amp I built, and the whole setup works well.

IMG_6148.jpg

Nice work. Anytime you can take wires that go from Point A to Point B and make them look good doing it, that's art.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...