Deang

So, who thinks their midrange is too hot?

Anyone want to talk about attenuation?

Resistors?

I was going to ask this at some point, so this is timely..... but does the method of changing the tap on the autoformer, and substituting a 6.8uf cap for the 13uf cap work for a Khorn?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/30/2016 at 10:56 AM, jimjimbo said:
On 6/30/2016 at 10:24 AM, Deang said:

So, who thinks their midrange is too hot?

Anyone want to talk about attenuation?

Resistors?

I was going to ask this at some point, so this is timely..... but does the method of changing the tap on the autoformer, and substituting a 6.8uf cap for the 13uf cap work for a Khorn?

Sure does. Just move the midrange wire from 4 to 3 and change the cap.

Another way: move the wire from 4 to 3, and then put a 15 ohm/20 watt resistor in parallel with the driver. Just slide the leads under the screws for negative and positive. This method allows for retaining the 13uF capacitor.

Get adventurous and try it both ways - they sound a little different.

Without the resistor, it sounds a little more forward and lively - which is okay, because you just knocked 3dB off of it. With the resistor, it sounds more subdued - you need more volume to hit the sweet spot -- which is usually too loud for me. I have no idea if that helps or not.

• Like 1

This has always confused me.  It seems that the first 2uf cap to the tweeter is in series with the 13uf to the mid.  The result would be a 1.75uf cap as the first part of the third order filter to the tweeter.  Changing the 13uf to 6.8uf would equate to a 1.5 cap.  Would it have been better to run a separate wire from input + to the 2uf cap?  Am I missing something?

The diagram does make it look like it's being connected after the 13uf capacitor.  From the layout, it looks like it's an 18db/octave high pass to the tweeter and 6db/octave to the mid and 6db/octave low pass to the woofer.  There's no bandpass filter on the mid; just a natural roll off on the high side.

Without the resistor, it sounds a little more forward and lively - which is okay, because you just knocked 3dB off of it. With the resistor, it sounds more subdued - you need more volume to hit the sweet spot -- which is usually too loud for me. I have no idea if that helps or not.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your description of using the resistor.  Did you ever hear or try different resistor brands?  I only tried Mills so far.

This has always confused me.  It seems that the first 2uf cap to the tweeter is in series with the 13uf to the mid.  The result would be a 1.75uf cap as the first part of the third order filter to the tweeter.  Changing the 13uf to 6.8uf would equate to a 1.5 cap.  Would it have been better to run a separate wire from input + to the 2uf cap?  Am I missing something?

It is a matter of how the caps are functioning.  Easier way to look at it as that the 13uf cap is filtering the lows up to the midrange and the 2uf is filtering out the lows and mids up to the highs.  The 13uf cap lets the mid and high frequencies through and the 2uf lets the high frequencies through.  

Let's say the 13uf cap is crossing over at 600Hz and up, it has no bearing on what is going on with the tweeter because the (2) 2uf caps used with the inductor creates a steeper 18db/octave high pass at, let's say, 5khz and up. Basically, the first 2uf cap could be placed on the (+) input position on the terminal strip and it would do the same thing.

Dean, am I right in that?

This has always confused me. It seems that the first 2uf cap to the tweeter is in series with the 13uf to the mid. The result would be a 1.75uf cap as the first part of the third order filter to the tweeter. Changing the 13uf to 6.8uf would equate to a 1.5 cap. Would it have been better to run a separate wire from input + to the 2uf cap? Am I missing something?

The capacitor being in series was discussed in a thread on the super AA - https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/65508-question-on-super-aa-crossover/

Hooking the 2uf in series with the 13uf is a significant improvement, and is often referred to as an "improved three way network". Basically, the order of the tweeter network is increased. This improves tweeter protection. It is also a constant resistance network, which the typical parallel network is not.

Dean, a question on layout. I notice that you have used what I would call a daisy-chain earth.

Back when I was building amplifiers a central earth point was mandatory otherwise there was hum and extra distortion, especially in class A amps and class AB amps that were operated at quiescent currents above 200ma.

On my K-Horns the AK-3 crossover has a central earth plate. After updating the capacitors and adding a terminal block I retained the central earth system which certainly increased the wiring required and doesn't look as nice as a daisy chain earth along the terminal block.

Is it because crossovers are essentially passive devices that central earthing is not required?

• Chad locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic
  • dtel's wife locked this topic
  • Chad unlocked and locked this topic
  • Chad unlocked this topic