Jokes?

Marvel

5 hours ago, Marvel said:

"I found out I am of German-Irish ancestry. That means I can do everything with precision... tomorrow."

One time, at a meeting of world leaders, the Mexican leader was in conversation with the Irish leader.  The Mexican leader asked, "What's the Irish word that's equivalent to mañana?"

The Irish leader replied, "We don't have a word that conveys that sense of urgency."

• Haha 5

On 1/6/2023 at 6:53 AM, Shakeydeal said:

I think the joke is more about the billions in cash we have given Ukraine while ignoring our own people. Not really funny at all when you think about it long enough.

This is called a false dichotomy.  It presents a complex situation as an either/or choice, which is totally misleading.  Your country and mine each have enough money to help their own citizens while also helping the people of Ukraine during this terrible invasion.  It's not an either/or choice.

Memes with this kind of message pop up often on Facebook and other social media, but often originate overseas, like from Russia or China.  They serve only to stir up hate and disagreement among us, so they should never be shared.

There's a low-level cyberwar going on, with things like this being generated daily, by actual foreign cyber soldiers.  Memes that sow discord among us should be thought of as little weapons against democracy, propelled only by people who share them, because they're innocent enough to think the memes are harmless, amusing, or worse, a good idea.

Sure, most memes are amusing or entertaining, but don't share the ones that are meant to stir up arguments and nasty feelings.  They hurt our countries and our people, all of us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 1/6/2023 at 11:06 AM, oldtimer said:

Interesting, since practically every citizen here has an immigration background at some point in their family history.  Some joke, right?

oldtimer, I see you realize this, but it does bear mentioning.  The countries in the New World/Americas are fundamentally different from the Old World countries.  For example, Germany and France (and Poland and Austria and so on) have been inhabited by people calling themselves German or French for over 1,000 years.  They are the indigenous peoples, and have repelled invaders (with mixed success) for much of that period.

Sure, if you go back far enough, long before there were nation-states, the indigenous peoples may have been the Neanderthals, but they died out (for reasons and in ways that are not fully understood.)  Since none of the Neanderthals are here to speak up, we assume that the modern humans/Cro-Magnon types are the true possessors of the land.

In the Americas, anyone with a European background is very likely to be a settler/immigrant, or to be descended from them.  However, in Europe, in Germany in particular, saying that a certain part of the residents of the country have an "immigration background", while the majority of the residents/citizens  do not have an immigration background, is likely to be quite accurate.

In Northern Ireland, The British Empire's last colony, the settlers were sent over by Elizabeth I, the daughter of King Henry VIII.  This is called The Plantation, and took place in the 1640s. The settlers were often British soldiers (of English and Scottish ancestry).  They were given deeds to land that wa already owned by Irish farmers and the like, who went from being relatively independent farmers and fishermen to being tenants on the land, which was milked for every penny it could produce.

Fast-forward to today, and we have two groups of residents, the natives (who are often Catholic, with a preference to permanently eliminate the border and re-unite the country) and the settlers, who are often Protestant and identify themselves not as Irish (in spite of 300-400 years of residence in Ireland), but as British.  Yes, nearly a million residents of Northern Ireland consider themselves to be foreigners, of British, not Irish, ancestry.

This has led to an odd sort of racism.  Since nearly everyone is the same colour, a racist has to ask some probing questions before he can determine whether to shake your hand or turn his back on you.  Here are some sample questions (this is from a total stranger, of course):

"What part of town (Belfast) do you live in?"  My parents told me to say "the North end", because that's a mixed area and doesn't give the racist much to go on.  He may go so far as to ask you where your parents live or lived, but if you give inconclusive answers to those questions, he may ask which school you went to.  If you reply with the name of a clearly Catholic school, that's the end of the conversation.  The potential new friend will turn away and leave, often without a word.  None are necessary, because the reason is obvious.  You're not "his kind of people", and that's that.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...