Khorn "Tophat" question...

jimjimbo

For the life of me, I can't quite figure out the utility of the piece of wood that runs almost the entire width of the top shelf, yet is only attached to the underside of the top with two screws, and not to the sides, providing no lateral stability....other than the fact that it makes removing the tweeter more difficult....Can someone explain this to me, and let me know if it's ok to remove it without any adverse effects?  Of course, if it's going to in any way ruin any Khorn JuJu, or widen the San Andreas Fault, then, well, I'll leave it alone....

post-12530-0-42520000-1467234071_thumb.j

jimjimbo, the only idea I can offer is that piece of wood is to prevent warping of the top panel over time.

As Zim says, remove the screws that hold the top panel on then it is easy to get at the insides. I have left the screws stuck to the K55 magnet for years as the top hat is a damn good hiding place for rarely used valuables (until some audiophile housebreaker recognizes what the 150lb corner furniture is).

• Like 1

The top of the tophat is removable via six (6) easy to get to screws. This will give you access to the guts of the tophat, and perhaps provide a little understanding of the design.

I understand the design… I just want to know what that piece of wood is for… come on you Khorn gurus let's have it… if it was to prevent warping over time, then the La Scala, the Belle, and the Cornwall would have had essentially the same thing, don't you think? Edited by jimjimbo

Tweeter anti-theft device.

no kidding, I guess I need to follow the advice here and remove the top so I can swap tweeters in mine. I got the old one out but the new one doesn't...quite..fit...the..screws.. whew 

Congrats on landing a pair of Khorns Jim. 

• Like 1

It seems to be for resonance control and to provide more stability for the top of the k-horn for when you put the 30lb planters (doesn't flex) with water so you can wreck the beautiful tops of the k-horns finished in nice veneer. :angry: DON'T DO IT if yours are still in perfect shape!!!!

Due to the large area, it seems that you can hear the woody sound of a number of resonances with certain types of music.  This brace/support likely tames the top at least while lending some support.  

My opinion anyway.