R-115sw settings

Fracchia23

Hi guys i have a problem... a friend of mine is saying that his velodyne 10 inches sounds better and more than the klipsch r-115sw that bought 3 weeks ago... i think he is missing something or wrong settings... please let me know the best setting for the R-115sw

(Crossover,Gain etc..)

Typically the crossover is set to 80 Hz.  It's not unusual to have the sub itself set to 120 Hz then let the AVR set the crossover.  I set both to 80 Hz.  The reason for the 80 Hz crossover point is voices will not come out of the sub and audio content at this level are not directional, they are omni-directional.

EDIT:  Your friend has a Velodyne sub... (snip)

Here is a video I've always liked for helping to set up the proper sub sound.  If you do it right you won't "hear" the sub, you'll hear the increased bass sound.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Velodyne IMO makes a better sub than MOST Klipsch subs. But the thought of a small velodyne 10 beating the r115sw just doesn't sound correct.

I was definitely thinking of another brand, then.  Apologies for the mis-information.

I'm still wondering if the difference in sound has to do with proper setup, both of the Velodyne and the Klipsch.

Edited by wvu80

Typically the crossover is set to 80 Hz.  It's not unusual to have the sub itself set to 120 Hz then let the AVR set the crossover.  I set both to 80 Hz.  The reason for the 80 Hz crossover point is voices will not come out of the sub and audio content at this level are not directional, they are omni-directional.

Your friend has a Velodyne sub.  That suggests to me he might think a good sub has that great boomy sound (sarcasm) some might describe as a "one-note wonder."  That is not a good sound and thank goodness your Klipsch does not sound like that.

Here is a video I've always liked for helping to set up the proper sub sound.  If you do it right you won't "hear" the sub, you'll hear the increased bass sound.

Many thanks

Some ported 10's are ridiculously boomy around 50-60 hz, lots of people absolutely love that. The R-115SW isn't going to give you that same sound and at first may disapppoint people who are addicted to one note wonders. Make sure this isn't what he is experiencing, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it. A friend of mine went from a cheap 10 to an R-115SW and it took him awhile to get used to it, but now there's no going back. It ought to stomp a typical cheap ported 10 down low like 20-25 hz if it is set up right.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Hi guys i have a problem... a friend of mine is saying that his velodyne 10 inches sounds better and more than the klipsch r-115sw that bought 3 weeks ago... i think he is missing something or wrong settings... please let me know the best setting for the R-115sw

(Crossover,Gain etc..)

In addition to my SW-115, I have a Velodyne SPL-100R. I use the set up mic for the velodyne so it can perform its automatic setup. I then use my receivers Audessy auto setup to balance both subs. I followed the advice of the members on this forum and set all my speakers to "small". The bass is awesome! I need to batten down the hatches while watching movies