Horn Loaded Sub Recommendation

Rivernuggets

I'd like to use a horn loaded sub for our 20' x 20' garage 80% of the time (two Heresy pair) and outside the other 20% (KP-2000s).  What I'm looking for is a sub that is capable of doing nice LFE in an outside setting.  Living on a cul de sac our back yard is like the crust end of a slice if pizza.  Not large at all.

I like the Fitzmaurice designs.  Somewhere in the past Carl recommended an F-20 sub for outside use.  There are enough designs out there making my head spin.  Two questions: Which one, in your opinion, would work the best?  And who would be willing to make it for me?  I prefer to pay someone with experience instead of stumbling through it myself.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.

• Like 1

+1 on the tubas they are great subs I have built several. Then Carl had to call me, and we had a lengthy talk on the F20. I have loved my tubas but my next build will be a F20. Carl gave me a very honest review ( Thank You) and I loved what he told me about them.

• Like 1

Double 8" Table Tuba or single 10" would be a nice addition to a pair of Heresy's, it will allow you to keep that snappy type bass the Heresy is known for.

Do you mean two 8" subs or one 10"?

I'm alright with a sub that goes low and while sacrificing some accuracy.  So many opinions I've read about horn subs describe how precise they are.....

+1 on the tubas they are great subs I have built several. Then Carl had to call me, and we had a lengthy talk on the F20. I have loved my tubas but my next build will be a F20. Carl gave me a very honest review ( Thank You) and I loved what he told me about them.

Carl's F-20 build thread is a good one.  Can't find it now.  Almost convinced to go that route.  It's bigger than a Tuba but peoples' impressions of the sound seem to match what I'm after.

Edited by Rivernuggets
  • Like 1

Carl's F-20 build thread is a good one.  Can't find it now.  Almost convinced to go that route.  It's bigger than a Tuba but peoples' impressions of the sound seem to match what I'm after.

This is what sold me. Talked with Carl and Pete at the gathering about the f20 and it sounded like it was just what I was looking for.

Pm Carl he will send you a link to his thread.

Depending on how low of a frequency you are desiring, a great outdoor sub is the T-30. I paired one with a set of KPT-200's and it was a great match.

Are you saying the T-30 doesn't go as low as others?

The T-30 does not go as low as others because it is designed to be portable (wheels and handles) and is for large venue and outdoor use. It is considered a PRO or PA subwoofer. You can feel the bass with these type subs. Other Pro subs BFM designed are the T-39, the Titan-45 and the monster T-60. All of these subs can be v-coupled in pairs to increase output much more than simple stacking. Pro subs can typically achieve very high max SPL and send the bass farther away.

Pro sound subs are an option but require a high pass filter and a limiter to protect the drivers.

I intend to use a QSC PLX 2502.  Built in 100Hz high pass and a 33 Hz on/off infrasonic switch.  This is good for a pro sub or a DIY horn, yes?

The HPF in that amp is actually a filter for the speakers, not the sub. I don't know that you would need a HPF with that amp. Maybe somebody can help out here. Mr. Colter, are you hovering?

PS: I don't think the Table Tuba or the F20 would be bad subs for you. I was thinking of the outdoor use and being able to move them around. The T-30 really does music well outside. Here is my build gallery for the Giant Jukebox with a T-30 with a LAB12 and a Bash 300S amp, and a pair of KPT-200's:

http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/wvmustangs/slideshow/Jukebox

Edited by mustang guy

Double 8" Table Tuba or single 10" would be a nice addition to a pair of Heresy's, it will allow you to keep that snappy type bass the Heresy is known for.

Do you mean two 8" subs or one 10"?

I'm alright with a sub that goes low and while sacrificing some accuracy.  So many opinions I've read about horn subs describe how precise they are.....

One sub loaded with 2 x 8" drivers or one 10".

The F-20 would be my last choice as it is the heaviest choice and the largest.

A pro sound sub will work as long as you run a high pass filter and a limiter to protect the driver.

My opinion is the Table Tuba will be the best choice as most of the time it will be used indoors and not too heavy to move easily if needed.

Feel free to come have a listen, i have a Table Tuba and a THT here if you want to check some out.

• Like 1

I run 2 DTS-10s in my 2 car garage Home Theater, and they sound great!

Head is spinning more now.  Forgot about what Danley has to offer.  The DTS-10 is slender in one dimension.....  :unsure:  :biggrin:     Good base for a second row of seats in the HT?

Edited by Rivernuggets

The HPF in that amp is actually a filter for the speakers, not the sub. I don't know that you would need a HPF with that amp.

Forgot to include all the info from the specs.  Here is the line from QSC:

100 Hz high pass and low pass filters for bi-amping subwoofer and satellite systems without the need for an external crossover.

I was thinking of the outdoor use and being able to move them around.

Thanks for thinking of mobility as I haven't very much.  That T-30 looks easy enough to move around.  One would be enough for a pair of mains?

Here is my build gallery for the Giant Jukebox with a T-30 with a LAB12 and a Bash 300S amp, and a pair of KPT-200's:

I'll check that out later, after the fireworks tonight.  Getting ready to visit the fair grounds now.

One sub loaded with 2 x 8" drivers or one 10". The F-20 would be my last choice as it is the heaviest choice and the largest. A pro sound sub will work as long as you run a high pass filter and a limiter to protect the driver. My opinion is the Table Tuba will be the best choice as most of the time it will be used indoors and not too heavy to move easily if needed. Feel free to come have a listen, i have a Table Tuba and a THT here if you want to check some out.

The sub will mostly reside in the garage.  Infrequently moving it outside will be alright with me, big sub or no.

I have an RB-5 pair to pick up from Mark in Chicago, so maybe we can arrange for me to listen to your subs.  Thanks!

Edited by Rivernuggets

The HPF in that amp is actually a filter for the speakers, not the sub. I don't know that you would need a HPF with that amp.

Forgot to include all the info from the specs.  Here is the line from QSC:

100 Hz high pass and low pass filters for bi-amping subwoofer and satellite systems without the need for an external crossover.

I was thinking of the outdoor use and being able to move them around.

Thanks for thinking of mobility as I haven't very much.  That T-30 looks easy enough to move around.  One would be enough for a pair of mains?

Here is my build gallery for the Giant Jukebox with a T-30 with a LAB12 and a Bash 300S amp, and a pair of KPT-200's:

I'll check that out later, after the fireworks tonight.  Getting ready to visit the fair grounds now.

1. The HPF is for the speakers. The LPF would be for the sub in that amp. You wouldn't use either filter.

2. The T-30 is virtually the same size as the Table Tuba. The Table tuba is tuned to a lower frequency so the T-30 has a shorter horn path and a much larger horn mouth. The T-30 can be built with hand holds and wheels. Here is what the handles and wheels would look like in it with T30 on left:

GPyM4Uul.png

Shows mouth difference TT on left this time:

zzvh4IHl.png

3. Our fireworks got rained out. :(

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1