Horn Loaded Sub Recommendation

Rivernuggets

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Please forgive me for asking a question I'm sure has already been asked, but why doesn't Klipsch offer a horn-loaded sub for home audio?

Well, there's THIS.

I have to say something about that sub, the 1802. For the last 4 days we have been listening to one of these at a friends house, kharmondds is his forum name.

Kevin put one between Jubes, we drug it in and set it up last Friday, moved the 684's out, then we were shocked at how powerful and clean it is. It's big but if there is space it's amazing.

The 1802 replaced a PAIR of KPT-684's, that's one 18" driver replacing 4 18" drivers, and it blew the 684's away easily. Horn loaded, done well is amazing.

After a few days we were still in shock at the performance, the other part is it blends in perfectly with the horn loaded main speakers.  

Unless I heard wrong there is a "rumor" that they may be other horn subs coming later, I would guess none will be small considering the design, but there are very impressive.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 3

Please forgive me for asking a question I'm sure has already been asked, but why doesn't Klipsch offer a horn-loaded sub for home audio?

Well, there's THIS.

I have to say something about that sub, the 1802. For the last 4 days we have been listening to one of these at a friends house, kharmondds is his forum name.

Kevin put one between Jubes, we drug it in and set it up last Friday, moved the 684's out, then we were shocked at how powerful and clean it is. It's big but if there is space it's amazing.

The 1802 replaced a PAIR of KPT-684's, that's one 18" driver replacing 4 18" drivers, and it blew the 684's away easily. Horn loaded, done well is amazing.

After a few days we were still in shock at the performance, the other part is it blends in perfectly with the horn loaded main speakers.  

Unless I heard wrong there is a "rumor" that they may be other horn subs coming later, I would guess none will be small considering the design, but there are very impressive.

I really want to experience that sub  :D

• Like 1

I really want to experience that sub

Get to Hope for the gathering next year.  It's made a showing the last two years.

I want to in the worst way !

It just never seems to work out but it is a priority for sure  :D

Kevin sent some pic's, I don't know why I didn't take any ?

So dtel or Kevin if he checks in.... I notice that the Jubs have been pulled out of the corners is this how they are currently setup with the sub?

What are the crossover setup/parameters being used currently between the Jubs and KPT-1802.

Would also be interested in roughly what the room dimensions are...?

Love the setup Kevin :emotion-21:

miketn :)

• Like 1

He told me XO 50hz and no delay.  Don't know room dims.

Thanks jc

I believe he told me once that his room was roughly 21' x 23' and looks like about 8' ceiling height.

I had Kevin's number at one time but I've lost it when my old cell phone crapped out on me :emotion-14:

• Moderators
So dtel or Kevin if he checks in.... I notice that the Jubs have been pulled out of the corners is this how they are currently setup with the sub?

21 x 23 is probably really close.

One of the pictures was taken with them pulled out, the reason was that black box on the left holding up electronics is really a KP 684 sub turned sideways. He pulled the jubs out because the side of the 684 was kind of affecting the sound so he wanted to get out in front of it, that did help. It's not permanent, he plans to move them back out to the corners.

His plan is to build a box a little bigger than the Tv stand to raise it up about 8 inches, this will allow the electronics to sit behind the Tv but still be open enough so the remotes work shooting under the Tv.

• Like 1

We gotta get an 1802 into Ricci's hands so he can put it through its paces....and then we gotta find one of the crazy drivers to drop in and see how much more can be drawn out of the system. I really want to know how the 1802 stacks up against an Othorn.

I hear all the good reviews from people, but I can't help but wonder if it's because it's the first time people have heard quality low bass before...Most of the direct radiator subs don't really perform the way the specs imply (what with their sliding high pass filters and nonlinear drivers, etc...)

• Klipsch Employees

We gotta get an 1802 into Ricci's hands so he can put it through its paces....and then we gotta find one of the crazy drivers to drop in and see how much more can be drawn out of the system. I really want to know how the 1802 stacks up against an Othorn.

I hear all the good reviews from people, but I can't help but wonder if it's because it's the first time people have heard quality low bass before...Most of the direct radiator subs don't really perform the way the specs imply (what with their sliding high pass filters and nonlinear drivers, etc...)

why doc, you dont trust my dirty measurements?  and you cant just throw in any ole driver.....sorry.

• Like 2

• Klipsch Employees

What are the crossover setup/parameters being used currently between the Jubs and KPT-1802.

hey Miketn.  i was playing around with the image and the 1802.  thats why they are pulled out.  that setup sounded really....ok.  :)

• Like 1

hey Miketn.  i was playing around with the image and the 1802.  thats why they are pulled out.  that setup sounded really....ok.   :)

Oh...I'm sure it did... :lol:

For several reasons I'm experimenting with the Jubs location relative to the corners in my new room with very interesting and promising results so far...

miketn