I Pledge Allegiance......

TasDom

I, for one, can't wait to set off some Chinese made fireworks on Monday...

That's Ok since they invented them.  But everyone knows America invented freedom.

Did the patent expire?

Not at all.  We have the freedom to make products with an American flag theme in China and sell them in America, even today.

I, for one, can't wait to set off some Chinese made fireworks on Monday...

That's Ok since they invented them.  But everyone knows America invented freedom.

Did the patent expire?

Not at all.  We have the freedom to make products with an American flag theme in China and sell them in America, even today.

Thank you, Cheeses.

I'm sorry.. and its just MHO but Old Glory should not be painted on a speaker.

Small point perhaps, today, with the selective "justice" which is/is not enforced, but, is it not also against the law to represent the American flag on articles of clothing, and other items . . . ?

No, I'd be surprised if it is against the law, given that during the senior Bush's administration the Supreme Court ruled that burning the American flag is protected under the Constitution.  A friend of mine commented "That's America at its best."   I believe that justice Scalia was one of the justices who protected the right to burn the flag.

dwilawyer?

Edited by garyrc

On another patriotic note... my Grandaughter 13 yrs old made all of us very proud when before we lit a pile of Fireworks she started singing America the Beautiful loud as she could without any notice. It really surprised everyone, then we all joined in so all the neighbors could hear. Kids...they may be the only ones who can to save us....

• Like 5

• Moderators

Small point perhaps, today, with the selective "justice" which is/is not enforced, but, is it not also against the law to represent the American flag on articles of clothing, and other items . . . ?

No, I'd be surprised if it is against the law, given that during the senior Bush's administration the Supreme Court ruled that burning the American flag is protected under the Constitution.  A friend of mine commented "That's America at its best."   I believe that justice Scalia was one of the justices who protected the right to burn the flag.

dwilawyer?

I'm pretty sure it was Reagan era, it was a Texas case. It didn't tread any new ground, speech includes expression.

There was another case where a guy made a pair of pants out of a US flag.

Every once in awhile you will see a state or municipality catch flack over buying and using flags that are made in China.

• Moderators

I know that most of the people on this forum understand . . . history, our national character, our source and our strength. It is ourselves only to the extent of our obedience and our faith in, and our love of God.

The deliberate pollution of the facts is our "great" undoing.

"Education", or "right emotions", nor ignorance will ever deliver us from ourselves, if we do not understand the Source of our nationhood. It is not Fate, or some happy coincidence or convergence. It happened to be Godly people 2.5 centuries ago who were so much smarter than we today, evidently.

We say "God bless", or we ask God to bless our nation, or we ask God to be on our side. We have it BACKWARD. We must be a people who bless God, as individuals. He will bless the people and nation who bless Him. NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

I hope this is not overstepping the posting rules or boundaries. but, the Truth is the Truth, and must be said.

So I guessing yor are one of those that believe that the crew that came up with the Constitution did so by praying for guidance and inspiration?

Or that Thomas Jefferson sat in a room and prayed to God and the words just flowed forth?

History? Last time I checked there weren't any accounts of GW parting the Potomac in order to surprise the enemy.

Godly people? They were either Diests or Unatarians who firmly believed that religion has no place in government, along with being adamant that there be no religious test to hold office.

They were smart, very smart, they said keep religion, and thus God, the hell out of government.

• Like 4

• Moderators

May I say this, and then go to bed?

It is only SUFFICIENTLY SHARED VALUES among a sufficient number of people that make a nation. Diminish the values, diminish the number, and diminish the shared community of people, and you reduce/remove the essence of nationhood.

Our founding fathers had it so right: only an educated and moral people would be able to sustain our representative form of government. In fact, they were the only "worthy" ones.

It pains me so greatly that even the LAST BASTIONS of our sense of honor and integrity and faith and duty--our military armed forces--have been so politicized that their calling is promotion within politicized ranks and system, that "American" conveys so little of what it used to mean.

I say that with a father who was a 1938 graduate of the USNA (fought 2 wars), I was a 5-year Naval officer, and my son a 4-year Marine Corps officer. My advice about country and duty and honor is very different today with the "leaders" and system we now have.

So what are you saying about shared values? Why all the veiled stuff about shared community and values?

So what is moral to a Deist? I think the term the Federalist used was "virtue". Essentially what it was, was self interest. A system to protect self interest while also preventing factions.

Our country has a value system beyond self interest that is shared and accepted, it is based on the premise that it matters not what your race, religion, or gender is, only that you believe in the rule of law and the Constitution. That is the "shared value" that Americans have shared since 1788.

• Like 2

I know that most of the people on this forum understand . . . history, our national character,  our source and our strength.  It is ourselves only to the extent of our obedience and our faith in, and our love of God.   The deliberate pollution of the facts is our "great" undoing.   "Education", or "right emotions", nor ignorance will ever deliver us from ourselves, if we do not understand the Source of our nationhood.  It is not Fate, or some happy coincidence or convergence.  It happened to be Godly people 2.5 centuries ago who were so much smarter than we today, evidently.   We say "God bless", or we ask God to bless our nation, or we ask God to be on our side.  We have it BACKWARD.  We must be a people who bless God, as individuals.  He will bless the people and nation who bless Him.  NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.   I hope this is not overstepping the posting rules or boundaries.  but, the Truth is the Truth, and must be said.
Total nonsense.  But, that's what you believe... 
  • Like 1

I would wager that a high percentage of American flags being flown this weekend were not made in America,  especially if they were purchased at Wal-Mart.  How sick are you now?

The 4' x 6' American flag that I buy to fly at my workplace is Mercan made and I buy them at WalMart. Not sure where the ones that the masses buy are made, but I suspect you're right. 

• Moderators

dwilawyer?

Here is link to decision.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/491/397

From the majority opinion:

In holding in Barnette that the Constitution did not leave this course open to the government, Justice Jackson described one of our society's defining principles in words deserving of their frequent repetition:

If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein.

Id. at 642. In Spence, we held that the same interest asserted by Texas here was insufficient to support a criminal conviction under a flag-misuse statute for the taping of a peace sign to an American flag.

Given the protected character of [spence's] expression and in light of the fact that no interest the State may have in preserving the physical integrity of a privately owned flag was significantly impaired on these facts,

we held, "the conviction must be invalidated." 418 U.S. at 415. See also Goguen, 415 U.S. at 588 (WHITE, J., concurring in judgment) (to convict person who had sewn a flag onto the seat of his pants for "contemptuous" treatment of the flag would be "[t]o convict not to protect the physical integrity or to protect against acts interfering with the proper use of the flag, but to punish for communicating ideas unacceptable to the controlling majority in the legislature").

• Like 1