1956 Klipschhorn Corner Horn - $200 Marysville, KS

Woofers and Tweeters

Link 

This 60-yr-old loudspeaker kicks better than modern subwoofers. I have owned it for 40 years. They're around $6000 new. This one was in a fire but survived. I sanded and painted it. The tweeter is missing but I don't think most people would notice. The bass is a folded horn that uses the corner of a room as an extension of the horn. Takes only a few watts to drive it. Made in Hope, Arkansas, America. 1. front 2. detail of midrange horn and crossover. 3. midrange horn

They used to be $3000, Now $6000 each. See here:
http://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn-floorstanding-speaker

Company is celebrating 70 years.

00g0g_80uHUWBldY5_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

My understanding is the base problem with the Khorn is it doesn't go high enough to cross effectively to a 2-way.  This is why PWK went back to the drawing board and he & Roy ultimately came up with the Jubilee.

That said, I'd bet if you went active you could probably get there with one of today's better drivers.  (I don't know that, just speculating)

Did this early Klipschorn even have a tweeter???

Yes it probably had a University horn tweeter. It also probably has a Stephens woofer. Under almost any circumstances it's worth more than $200. I sold one a bit older a few years ago for $175 without any drivers or network. If I were within a couple hours, I'd be in the van by now.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

The tweeter is missing but I don't think most people would notice.

Oh, you just gotta love it.....

"Tweeter?  What's that?  Isn't that some kind of bird?"  

Jim, that's a quote the sellers stated, not something that I said. But, I agree: Most people wouldn't notice. 

Didn't you notice that they used to be $3k, but are now $6000..... and that they were in a fire? It would match the pair that you have  :P

• 1 month later...

Sorry to disappoint you guys but I just picked up this Khorn for $160 last night!  As horrible as it looks it actually surprised me when I hooked it up.  Sounds pretty good as is minus some of the highs.  Definitely worth the money.  Still has a smoky smell to it but I'm looking forward to refinishing it to all it's former glory.  I found this thread when I was researching components and recommendations.  I exchanged a few emails with Bob Crites before I purchased it and he thinks he'll be able to duplicate the crossover with updated components.  Everything is 16 ohm so it's not something he already has pre-made on hand. I think I've located a 16 ohm T35B on eBay that should work with this setup.  I'm sure most of you know this, but it did come with a tweeter from the factory that was mounted on the partition running down the center of the mid horn.

If anyone has any suggestions on components I'm all ears.  As cheap as this was I'm open to exploring some different options within reason. I'm thinking I'll be running this as a mono speaker since I only have the one.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ask81 said:

Sorry to disappoint you guys but I just picked up this Khorn for $160 last night!

On the contrary, we're delighted you got it.  As jweber said, please share photos.  I'm especially curious about the woofer.

• Like 2

Thanks guys.  I haven't had much time to dig into it yet but i did remove the bass cabinet door and the woofer is a hammered blue metal color and I'm guessing it's a Stephens TruSonic 103LX?  I wasn't able to get behind it to see and I don't have time at the moment to remove it and see what I'm dealing with but the previous owner said everything is original. I'll post some pictures soon.