Klipsch speaker impedance ratings

HAL9000

It's helpful to keep in mind that the Loudspeaker Sensitivity rating is what is expressed in most loudspeaker advertising specification sheets and isn't directly the same as the Loudspeaker Efficiency.

Note: The Klipschorn Rating which is given as 105db @ 2.83v/1m but doesn't mention @ 1watt and is also noted as "sensitivity in a typical listening room".

Since loudspeakers impedance varies with frequency and are typically powered by amplifiers performing as a voltage source and most loudspeakers that the typical forum members are using are in rooms this seems like a reasonable method to give the consumer some sense of what to expect from the loudspeaker in your home listening room.

Klipschorn-Spec-Sheet-v04..thumb.jpg.add6a41499ec68e95653de51c5a4c158.jpg

Here is a link that will help in understanding Sensitivity versus Efficiency and you can also see how if you hold the applied amplifier voltage (typical @ 2.83v) the same but change the impedance of the loudspeaker from 8ohm to 4ohm you will cause the amplifier to generate 2watts (with the 4ohm loudspeaker load) and the sensitivity rating of the 4ohm loudspeaker will have to be reduced by -3db if both loudspeakers are  to be referenced to a 1watt input at a specific distance (typical @ 1meter) for both loudspeakers.

Loudspeaker Efficiency Versus Sensitivity

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-efficiency.htm

Another good link on the subject:

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeaker-sensitivity

miketn

• Like 1

Good description of efficiency vs sensitivity in that link.

However...not sure I'd put too much trust in his ability to determine sound quality:

"There is no connection between the efficiency and the sound quality."

...I think there was this guy who said efficiency is inversely proportional to distortion. I wonder if he ever made any speakers we enjoy... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grizzog said:

Good description of efficiency vs sensitivity in that link.

However...not sure I'd put too much trust in his ability to determine sound quality:

"There is no connection between the efficiency and the sound quality."

...I think there was this guy who said efficiency is inversely proportional to distortion. I wonder if he ever made any speakers we enjoy... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea... I noticed that also <_<

Sad that such a fundamental fact still isn’t widely known or accepted.

miketn

Yea I get it. Efficiency does not = sensitivity, but they are mathematically related. I was just trying to make a point for @ksquared

And yes loudspeakers are not efficient at converting electrical energy to acoustic energy. Most of the electrical energy is dissipated as heat not converted to acoustic energy. Just like an incandescent light bulb, most of energy is converted to heat not light.