found: AA crossover pair

Matthews

Do you want some 1972s to rebuild ? I got the boards and some componets. Will go check if your interested. Been awhile since i looked at them.

I put my k-horn rebuild on new oak boards with mostly new parts from Bob so i have some stuff left over.

• Like 1

Do you want some 1972s to rebuild ? I got the boards and some componets. Will go check if your interested

Sounds like fun :)  -  lets see what ya got, Rick.  If it is a straight forward cap replacement, I am confident in my capabilities.  My soldering iron, not so much...

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 2

gooooo active young man.............go active.....

I might consider going active if these were my personal speakers and I was looking for the ultimate sound.  But for regular duty I would not want the additional complexity.

But the question I was trying to get to, is what do you think La Scalas would be worth on the open market with an active crossover?  I've never seen that advertised and I'm trying to get a feel for how that would affect desirability and price.

Let's say you had a nice set of LS that were valued at $1,000.  What price do you think they might sell for if they had an active crossover?

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

But the question I was trying to get to, is what do you think La Scalas would be worth on the open market with an active crossover
Let's say you had a nice set of LS that were valued at $1,000. What price do you think they might sell for if they had an active crossover?
?

Likely no return on investment, IMO.  My personal pair are already Hot Rodded and not considering any changes at the present.  I do think the AA over the AL would be a worthwhile investment for an "open market" pair. 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 2

I do think the AA over the AL would be a worthwhile investment for an "open market" pair.

I have AL in my nice La Scala, I think they sound great.  I have AL-3 in my La Scala splits, recapped.  I heard AL-1 or AL-2 vs the AL-3 when I bought them, I think the AL-3 had a little more bass punch.

The AL crossover is a lot more complex of a crossover, I think that might be why it gets a bad rep (more to troubleshoot when repairing). 

If the AL need repaired, I would consider AA.  Otherwise, I doubt is will increase the value much on resale.

• Like 1

If the AL need repaired, I would consider AA. Otherwise, I doubt is will increase the value much on resale.

Thanks Opus, I have not even hooked this pair up to listen yet.  Only tested all the drivers with my multi-meter on site (good).  The crossovers may be fine?  Them having the AL networks was a bargaining chip in the transaction.  Will drag the pair out in the coming weeks to see how they actually sound.  Perhaps will just leave as-is, keep costs down :emotion-21:

The only thing is, if the perspective buyer knows anything about the model, they already know the downfalls of the AL and it becomes a bargaining chip for them as well.  That is what I am wanting to eliminate.  A lot of work will go into these and quite simply just want to do the best I can to make them as desirable as possible.

Matt I took a look at those old boards they are not for you, they need a transformer and lots of parts. Sorry I thought I got new trannys when I rebuilt mine.

All good, Rick.  Thank you for taking the time to look at them and thinking of me :smile:

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• 3 weeks later...

Holy Smokes :o

I needed some AA crossovers for the latest La Scala restoration.  Had no idea they would be this nice!  I have to say, the stock AL networks may just stay with the Scala's now.  Will have a hard time letting these babies go...

TfEc6aE.jpg

A huge thank you goes out to "HudsonValleyNoah".  These freshly recapped crossovers are the cats meow.  Thank you, Sir.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

Man, those caps are are sweet! Where can you get them?

Not sure, "absolve".  It is my understanding that these caps are exceptional, as well as no longer available.  Part of the reason I may hang on to them, they are new and I have the same caps in my x-overs.  Not gonna last forever.  Have no idea if there is a shelf life?  Wouldn't think so, but what do I know?

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Those caps were from Bob i got some when i rebuilt mine. Dont forget to take out that pesky screw and just hot glue it on the board. The diodes could be removed also some say they effect the sound. Only difference mine are 4500 hz crossover points with a new iron core inductor from PE. Those look like Bob might have built those himself.

• Like 1

Holy Smokes :o

I needed some AA crossovers for the latest La Scala restoration.  Had no idea they would be this nice!  I have to say, the stock AL networks may just stay with the Scala's now.  Will have a hard time letting these babies go...

TfEc6aE.jpg

A huge thank you goes out to "HudsonValleyNoah".  These freshly recapped crossovers are the cats meow.  Thank you, Sir.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

You should do wdecho's $19 mod on the AL if you are leaving them in. https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/165124-turning-an-al-into-an-aa-or-an-al-3-or/

• Like 1