The Star Spangled Banner

wvu80

I love the Star Spangled Banner.  It started as a British drinking song and was sung very differently at the beginning than it is now.  There are some early versions on Youtube, with the phrasing you almost wouldn't even recognize it.

What I love about the SSB is how many variations it has and can still be the same song.  How very American.  B)

In general my favorite versions are played only, no words.  I tend to like the versions played by military bands that are uplifting and magnificent, lots of brass.

The SSB should be played as a march about 2 minutes long and not as a 4 minute long dirge.  I don't like the versions that are drawn out which bring attention to the singer and not to the song.

List your favorites, with your comments. 

Here is one of mine.  Why? Goose bump time!  :emotion-21:

Favorite American flag gifs welcomed as well!  :D 

Happy Independence Day, 2016!

US_Map_as_Waving_Flag.gif

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I always loved this

Wow, that was a blast into the past, I hadn't thought about the Jimi Hendrix SSB version for years. 

It was very iconic for its time and a true American original.

EnduringFreedom.gif

I didn't like the Slash version slightly upstream, too slow.  I thought the Metalica rendition was kinda cool.  

Whitney Houston, Super Bowl, best ever…

Let's see, big time event, great arrangement, good tempo, outstanding solo performance, great orchestral accompaniment.  "...best ever...?"

Yep.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Better than Roseanne Barr, anyway.

I agree with you, with Barr's being the worst because not only was she bad, she was disrespectful. 

WatchMojo Top Ten Worst, however, only had her at #3. 

According to this guy at the University of Michigan:

National Anthem expert debunks famous myths about 'The Star-Spangled Banner'

I confess, since I first visited Fort McHenry circa 1959, I too thought FSK was a prisoner on a British ship when the lyrics were written.

My favorites are also instrumental versions at a moderate to quick tempo that conclude with a flyover. That said, I was impressed by Lady Ga Ga's rendition at the Superbowl. She sang it straight and didn't try to upstage the subject matter.

Edited by DizRotus

According to this guy at the University of Michigan: National Anthem expert debunks famous myths about 'The Star-Spangled Banner'

I saw a couple of things from that link I hadn't seen before.  I'd like to do a little more digging to see exactly what Stravinsky did with his arrangement.  Knowing Stravinsky, I can guess as a lot of people of the time didn't like his music which featured some experiments in meter, rhythm, tension and dissonance, ie Rite of Spring.

Where is Trombone Prof?  I bet he knows.  B)

MYTH #8: A mug shot offers proof of composer Igor Stravinsky's arrest by the Boston Police for desecrating a national symbol after conducting a performance of his own arrangement of "The Star-Spangled Banner" with the Boston Symphony. Correction: The well-known image is thus not associated with an arrest at all, but it is true that Stravinsky's anthem was controversial. The supposed mug shot is actually part of Stravinsky's 1940 visa application for residence in the United States.

Edit:  I found it, it's not so bad, but I bet 100 years ago it probably nearly caused riots because it wasn't strictly military.

My favorites are also instrumental versions at a moderate to quick tempo that conclude with a flyover. That said, I was impressed by Lady Ga Ga's rendition at the Superbowl. She sang it straight and didn't try to upstage the subject matter.

I think most people agree with you, but for me it dragged and I thought she tried to dress it a little too much. It is a Superbowl performance and I really understand performers feel the need to to put their stamp on it.  She performed it with class and style and of course the flyover is a once in a lifetime event, even for a performer.

Edited by wvu80

Possibly the best version out there. This is awesome.

Very cool rock version.  To me this almost goes past a SSB arrangement to being a composition, a variation on a theme.

Did you notice the time signature?  The SSB is in a straight 3/4 and this was done in 4/4.  That's why the "feel" of the tune feels off.  It isn't, it just feels that way.

• Like 1

correct tempo and on key. I like it.

That is exactly the way I like it!  There is nothing better than having the SSB sung with pride by the military academy choirs and the Pershings's Own (Herald trumpets out front) is one of the finest bands in our country.

I love big endings! 

Edited by wvu80