Life's regrets just scored a point on me

Coytee

Backstory:  I grew up eating a cinnamon coffee cake that my mother made.  I absolutely loved it.  I loved it enough that when I went off to college, I stole her recipe and continue to make it to this day.

Made from scratch, takes just under 2-hours from start to pulling out of the oven so it's not something that I can whip together in 5-minutes and enjoy....it's a process.

I always (I mean always) make a double batch.  I'll eat it fast enough that making two of them won't be an issue for me.  Also, it gives me one to give away which I actually enjoy doing very much (in spite of the effort it takes to make them)

Most everyone in my circle of life has had either a piece of one or an entire one given to them.

I've got a neighbor that is (guessing) 62/65 years old.  Honestly, he's a good old country redneck but, he'd give you the shirt on his back and if someone was giving you grief, he'd be the first one to jump in to help/defend you.

The other day, about 3 weeks ago, I was driving home.  I realized I had not seen him in a couple months.  I had "that little voice in the back of my head" tell me that I ought to go home, make a couple of coffee cakes and take one to both he & his wife and, our other neighbor.  Both of them have had them before and they all loved them.

Well, I didn't do it for whatever reasons.

We just got back from his funeral.  He passed away in his sleep earlier in the week.  He had no clue that I had thought about him and was going to make him one of those coffee cakes and now, it's too late.

Friday night, I did get to making two coffee cakes.  I delivered one to his family yesterday morning and they just got done telling me how much they appreciated it and loved it.

To be honest, I almost rather they had said nothing as all I was hearing was how much they enjoyed it and it reminded me that I didn't bring it to him when I originally thought about it.

• Like 8

Both of them have had them before and they all loved them.

That's the important part. You had taken the time to share that great cake with them on previous occasions. Unfortunately, the older we get, the more this kinda thing happens. That guy considered you a friend no doubt, that's what counts!

• Like 2

Naturally you'll feel this way and don't beat yourself up over it, we can't do everything the voices say

You are indeed, correct.  Reason I mentioned what happened was more to do my little bit to nudge a casual reader into listening to their inner voice.

• Like 11

My wife was in Kroger and saw a friend across the store but didn't make a point of saying hello. The friend was from the days when we had kids in school at the same time. About a week later the woman died suddenly. Now Nancy makes a point of making contact with friends. You never know if you'll get another opportunity.

• Like 4

Naturally you'll feel this way and don't beat yourself up over it, we can't do everything the voices say

You are indeed, correct.  Reason I mentioned what happened was more to do my little bit to nudge a casual reader into listening to their inner voice.

Most of us do need that nudge, thanks..

The two things that I know is that I haven't had the cinnamon coffee cakes you're talking about and that I have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other, they're both deviant and both are saying unselfish things.  

My wife was in Kroger and saw a friend across the store but didn't make a point of saying hello. The friend was from the days when we had kids in school at the same time. About a week later the woman died suddenly. Now Nancy makes a point of making contact with friends. You never know if you'll get another opportunity.

Bingo 

• Like 2

I have had (done) something very similar and I have responded the same way

The two things that I know is that I haven't had the cinnamon coffee cakes you're talking about and that I have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other, they're both deviant and both are saying unselfish things.  

Here ya go, for anyone that would like to make it.

My adjustments:

1.  I always ALWAYS double the recipe

2.  I cut MY oven time to 40 minutes instead of 45

3.  I use about 3 1/2 cups of flour instead of the "less 2 (4 if doubled) tablespoons"

4.  I use three soup spoons (the large spoon?) of sugar/cinnamon on top of each cake

5.  I might add a few extra walnuts

Cinnamon Cake.doc

• Like 1

No matter what you do or don't do, you will always have regrets (if you have a conscience).

I work in the investment world....and, for a bank.  I'm not supposed to have a conscience... :ph34r:  :o  :huh: