Life's regrets just scored a point on me

Coytee

I have come to learn the gut is a powerful life tool and instinct is not be be ignored. My condolences to your friend and I am sure he is happy knowing you are there for his family and able to give them some cake, that is what truly matters. I remember right before my Grandfather died I had a strange urgent voice in my head that I had to call him. Our conversation was different, like we both new there was some significance we could not consciously identify. He ended up having a stroke a few day later and passed soon after that. You got to love people from the old WWII generation though. When my other late Grandpa got MRSA the doctor told him there was nothing else they could do all he said was, "Well, the Japanese and then Chevrolet have been trying to kill me for years, I think I can handle this." A true hero.

• Like 2

Turned out great, We recommend.

No salt, nothing lacking.

We added about 1/2 cup milk to the double batch, was very thick otherwise.

Pulled from oven with a few tiny crumbs still on toothpick.  Perfect.

Made cream cheese frosting on the side.

Thank you Coytee, good Man,  Lars

• Like 1

I don't have MSWord. Do you have a text version?

jerol

Recipe below is for a SINGLE cake

350º    45/50 minutes (when I double recipe, I usually take OUT at 40 min, but that’s my oven)

1-Cup Sugar

1 Stick Butter (let soften to room temp)

2 eggs

1-Cup Sour Cream

1 Teaspoon Baking Soda (mix these together PRIOR in a side dish, then add to mixing bowl)

2 Teaspoons Vanilla

2 Cups sifted flour less 2 tablespoons (Don’t know why, I stole this recipe from my mother)

1/4 Teaspoon Salt

1-Teaspoon Baking Powder

1 Cup coarsely chopped Walnuts

Sugar/Cinnamon mix on top prior to baking. (I use about 3 soup spoonfuls on each cake)

Goes into one of those fluted Angle Food pans with the center cone that pulls out.

It seemed to us , to bake a little faster than expected.

Be extra careful not to overcook

Better to err under, not over.

DO NOT wait for a totally clean toothpick, but make sure the center is done.

We really like the cinnamon/ sugar on top, will double that next time.

Helps to make a really nice top "crust".          Lars

Edited by Karsoncookie

I bought a thermometer for my oven so I could check the temp.

Then I realized how do I know the thermometer is correct?

Kind of like having two watches.....

Really? I've seen your watches...

Bruce

• Moderators

Karson Cookie made it, that is so awesome !!!!! Is/was he a cook and thus the moniker?

I just rated this topic 5 Stars, between the positive inspiration to live in the now, and the posting of a recipe that someone actually made I thought make it one of the great ones.

• Like 1

Even one of our small < 20 lb pups agrees.

Next morning, on the kitchen table we found one of the two pans eaten up in the center, with a paw indentation to the side.

We have a possible idea how he got up there, but woww, acrobat.

That's ok, just cut out that part, enjoyed the rest.

Gave some to the other Little Ones.

Monthly, we make them chichen quarters soup w carrots and brocolli or green beans,and freeze in baggies portions, mix w good dry food,  so they eat pretty good.

Lars

Edited by Karsoncookie

Going back to the original issue.

Being older, I've lost a lot of relatives and friends.  There are a lot of different circumstances. 

You should not kick yourself too much.  In some circumstances they don't know they will die in a week.  In others they do know and don't want to burden loved ones.  In others they are in hospital with mixed prognosis.  I was there for many.

There are philosophies that we should treat everyone as if they will die tomorrow.  This also means they should treat us as if we die tomorrow.  And each of us should live as if we will die tomorrow. 

With everyone having 24 hours to live, it all gets wacky.

We should be loyal to friends and take care of each other.  It is all we can do.

WMcD

• Like 3