Klipsch RB-5's Mahogany--$325.00---SOLD

willland

I've purchased two separate pairs of RB-5's from eBay and each time one of the horns was either cracked or completely broken off from the weight of the tweeter magnet. This actually just happened to me again with a KV-4 I bought off eBay, tweeter magnets just too heavy for the thin plastic horns. All speakers were boxed reasonably well and had no other physical damage to speak of. Good luck with the sale, those are some beautiful speakers!

One of our forum friends had RB75 damaged in shipping. I think it might have been the same magnet too heavy for the plastic structure scenario.

I question if UPS handles the packaging more delicately if it's something that's been boxed by a UPS store...??    

I like the Klipsch Member's Pony Express idea. 

Not sure you're talking about me but yeah, RB75 tweet driver snapped clean off the plastic horn. They were packed in OE boxes with no visible damaged but a good long toss or drop will certainly break the heavy compression driver from the horn. I just knew something wasn't quite right when I could hear a heavy clunking when moving the unpacked box. Clunking sound from a speaker cabinet??? Yep.

• Like 1

I'm leaning towards shipping the drivers separately. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I would think that the best method would be to ship the motors separately and leave the horns on the cabinet.  It's extra work for the shipper and receiver but they might actually arrive in one piece.

• Like 3

I've had maple and oakies, but that mahogany is clearly the sexiest veneer of all. 

Another shipping issue with the Reference line is the weight of the HF driver vs the horn throat. Many a horn have been snapped off. I like the idea of some internal shock mounting for transit. (if you absolutely positively HAVE to ship them- but don't, not even to me) .

• Like 1

The rc 7 i got from weber had a damaged woofer and yeah i agree too heavy of a magnet and plastic frame not good for shipping. Not knocking jweber at all he did an awesome job of packing and great guy to deal with. I didn't even tell him about the damage cause i knew it wasn't his fault.

The rc 7 i got from weber had a damaged woofer and yeah i agree too heavy of a magnet and plastic frame not good for shipping. Not knocking jweber at all he did an awesome job of packing and great guy to deal with. I didn't even tell him about the damage cause i knew it wasn't his fault.

Oh no!! You never let men know. This is why I hate shipping anything and will, as I did in this case, let UPS do the packing. My RC64 arrived damaged and they tried to blame the person who shipped it. I hope you collected insurance from UPS. 

PM you my phone number. Call me when you can. 

I've had many speakers shipped over the years and fortunately, only one incident with one of my RF7 woofers but probably 5 different pair of RB5's and they always came through fine.  Just lucky I guess.  I can't believe these haven't been picked up locally.  I've had every finish but this one and they are beautiful, and a really nice BS set that when coupled with a solid sub, they are pretty amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...
Pony express possible if Midwest vacationers to Florida want to take something back with them. 

The summer vacation season is more than half over. :o 

I know many(some) of you guys vacation in Orlando.  Take a little something back with you. ;)

Bill