Home Built Khorn Cabs for Sale - would you do it?

So I saw a listing this morning for replica Klipschorn cabinets, made to PWK specs. No drivers or crossovers. The owner recommends re-veneering since they were built 30 years ago.

Would you go for it?

If so, what would be your total budget for the cabs, drivers and crossovers?

How much work would it take to do it right?

I saw the listing, and they actually look pretty nice.  I think you could get by without new veneer, just touch up the existing....

Total budget, including everything like a bit of stain, wood filler, etc.  Max $1000

I would ask if you could see and hear them with the drivers installed, and I would look over the interior construction closely.

• Like 2

I saw the listing, and they actually look pretty nice. I think you could get by without new veneer, just touch up the existing....

Total budget, including everything like a bit of stain, wood filler, etc. Max $1000

I would ask if you could see and hear them with the drivers installed, and I would look over the interior construction closely.

For the most part i agree with this. I would just increase my max by about $200- $500, to get some better quality drivers/networks.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I would be worried about the following even though it was constructed to PWK specs:

1...What kind/brand of glue?

2...What metal in the screws and what length?

3...What kind of plywood and thickness?

4...How many screws per piece?

5...Were the screw holes pre drilled and countersunk?

6...Were templates used to align the glued pieces to keep them in place?

7...What sealant used to seal the woofer cavity?

8...What gasket material used to seal the woofer access panel?

9...What tolerance was allowed on the saw cuts?

10..Were the wood edges finish plained before gluing?

Sorry to sound pesty.

JJK

I would say no way.  Unmolested, original K's are basically being given away these days.    All it would take is one little mishap or rattle inside the bass horn assembly to ruin your day, waste your time and possibly causing you to apply more funds than you could have spent on the real deal.

• Like 4

So I saw a listing this morning for replica Klipschorn cabinets, made to PWK specs. No drivers or crossovers. The owner recommends re-veneering since they were built 30 years ago.

Would you go for it?

You live in Seattle.  A pair of factory made Speakerlab K's will pop up at a bargain.  Just need to wait. 

Would you go for it?

You live in Seattle.  A pair of factory made Speakerlab K's will pop up at a bargain.  Just need to wait. 

Really?     At least he will know what he getting then

K-Horns_d.jpg

Just check the bass bin for leaks and rattles, if it has none it may be worthwhile but i would not pay $1000 for them personally unless they were super clean.

Rattles you should hear and leaks will show up as impedance spikes or do it the old fashioned way with a small vacuum hose up to your ear.

If its not leaking by now odds are it will last you a long long time.

• Moderators
I would say no way.

I would agree, it's a pretty complicated build, I would guess if any inside parts are "off" a little it could be a problem. Just my opinion, it seems the real deal used is as cheap as it's been in a long time, I would look for the real thing.

The cost of drivers and crossovers can be half the cost of a used pair sometimes.

• Like 1

I saw the listing, and they actually look pretty nice. I think you could get by without new veneer, just touch up the existing....

Total budget, including everything like a bit of stain, wood filler, etc. Max $1000

For the most part i agree with this. I would just increase my max by about $200- $500, to get some better quality drivers/networks.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

At $1500, I would probably lie in wait for a proper pair of Klipschorns at a bargain price.

Would you go for it?

At what price are Speakerlab K's worth it? I've heard the crossovers aren't good and if the drivers aren't as good as Khorns why bother?

I would say no way.  Unmolested, original K's are basically being given away these days.    All it would take is one little mishap or rattle inside the bass horn assembly to ruin your day, waste your time and possibly causing you to apply more funds than you could have spent on the real deal.

Good argument for the downside. At what price do you think original K's are a bargain?

I would be worried about the following even though it was constructed to PWK specs:

1...What kind/brand of glue?

2...What metal in the screws and what length?

3...What kind of plywood and thickness?

4...How many screws per piece?

5...Were the screw holes pre drilled and countersunk?

6...Were templates used to align the glued pieces to keep them in place?

7...What sealant used to seal the woofer cavity?

8...What gasket material used to seal the woofer access panel?

9...What tolerance was allowed on the saw cuts?

10..Were the wood edges finish plained before gluing?

Sorry to sound pesty.

JJK

I was thinking about #3 & #6, but your other questions have me wondering seriously if this is a good idea, even if they're for stupid cheap.

Good argument for the downside. At what price do you think original K's are a bargain?

Much better sources for info here than me, but it would depend on Veneer, grill material, age of the speaker, condition and so on.  Drivers are pretty cheap. I would be more concerned with the veneer I wanted and condition of the cab itself, than to worry about an iffy driver or old X-over caps.  

I have seen well kept Walnut pairs go for under 2K in some instances, but $2500 pops up on Ebay, just be prepared to travel a little to get them.  Birch or the basic designer series go as low as $1200, but these are usually roughed up a little more in some cases. 

If you don't want to spend that much, pick up a pair of LaScalas for a grand. They are almost all that counts in the great qualities of the K-horn and when you add a quality sub they will outperform K's hands down.  

For what its worth, I would never sell my cheap, ugly, black industrial LaScalas, I like them that much. 

Sorry to sound pesty. JJK

You don't sound pesty, you sound like a Negative Nellie.  :P

Sight unseen, I would treat a pre-built cab in the same way I would any DIY project.  It has the most worth to you if you want to hot rod it and keep it, and then do not expect to recoup your money as traditionally replicas do hot hold their value.

I would except this generalization for cabs that have obvious workmanship and quality.

I value a good pair of Khorns in excellent condition around $2.5K to 3K depending on all the usual factors of condition, crossover type, age, location and rarity of finish.

There seems to be a wide range for these as I've seen them on the low end at $1500 and $3500 at the topish end, so $2K or less for a good pair is a bargain.

Edited by wvu80

I would not.

So I saw a listing this morning for replica Klipschorn cabinets, made to PWK specs. No drivers or crossovers. The owner recommends re-veneering since they were built 30 years ago.   Would you go for it?

No way.  Way too ersatz, cartoonish oversimplification of the original complexity.

And I sure as heck wouldn't spend any money veneering them.

Edited by LarryC
  • Like 2