Home Built Khorn Cabs for Sale - would you do it?

Sorry to sound pesty. JJK

You don't sound pesty, you sound like a Negative Nellie.  :P

Sight unseen, I would treat a pre-built cab in the same way I would any DIY project.  It has the most worth to you if you want to hot rod it and keep it, and then do not expect to recoup your money as traditionally replicas do hot hold their value.

I would except this generalization for cabs that have obvious workmanship and quality.

Good argument for the downside. At what price do you think original K's are a bargain?

I value a good pair of Khorns in excellent condition around $2.5K to 3K depending on all the usual factors of condition, crossover type, age, location and rarity of finish.

There seems to be a wide range for these as I've seen them on the low end at $1500 and $3500 at the topish end, so $2K or less for a good pair is a bargain.

Which of the stock crossovers are most desirable?

These appear to be made of MDF or particle board rather than plywood.

MDF doesn't handle the shock of moving, or storage in humid environments well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So plywood is best when shopping for proper Khorns, then? Why did they go to MDF?

So plywood is best when shopping for proper Khorns, then? Why did they go to MDF?

There are different grades/styles of MDF. Most of the stuff I have used warped over a period of years. Even the 1" thick stuff on my desk warped. So I do wonder why Klipsch went to it also.

JJK

• Moderators

MDF does actually sound better but not the easiest for screws and nails, it glues fine. There are definitely different grades, some will swell and fall apart with just humidity, others can even take a little direct moisture. I left some out behind my shed to see what would happen, it lasted much longer than expected and it had been rained on quite a few times, never swelled up or fell apart but did discolor, kind of like mold ?  

But I would rather plywood myself

• Like 1