Looking for vintage gear technician recommendations

Opus

Hi. I have been a lurker here for quite some time, and have learned quite a bit from the members here. Thanks! Maybe some day I will have the knowledge and experience to contribute something that helps others here.

I have a Pioneer SA-9500 that needs some work, but I don't know of anyone in my area (Northwest Arkansas) that works on vintage audio gear. I searched the forums and found some good comments regarding a member here that is close to me; Paul Hovenga (Many Moons Audio). I looked at his website (http://www.manymoonsaudio.com/) and found an email address for him. I sent him an email about a week ago, but have not heard anything from him. Does anybody know if Paul is still active here? And, is he still working on vintage audio gear? Or, does anyone have other recommendations for someone else in my area that works on vintage audio gear?

Thanks,
Opus

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I took my SA-9500 to Paul a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't ready to do a complete restore yet, just wanted to fix a significant hum problem. I wanted to spend some time listening to it before investing in a complete restore. I picked it up from Paul on Friday. He fixed the hum problem and a sticky power switch for a VERY reasonable cost. Thanks Paul!

I have spent this weekend listening to various music, from various sources (Pandora, FLAC files, cassette tape, and vinyl); I love this amp! For me, the most impressive is the vinyl. The phono section on this amp is awesome.

The amp will be going back to Paul for a complete restore soon! I just have to convince the wife it's worth the cost.  ;)

Cat's out of the bag Carl! Thanks guys.... Very glad the fix was not too major to get you some experience with the amp.

The Pioneer's do have terrific phono sections, and the SA-9500 is one bad mutha of an amplifier. You think it sounds good now, just wait until you give me carte blanche. These are so worth it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:41 AM, paul79 said:

Cat's out of the bag Carl! Thanks guys.... Very glad the fix was not too major to get you some experience with the amp.

The Pioneer's do have terrific phono sections, and the SA-9500 is one bad mutha of an amplifier. You think it sounds good now, just wait until you give me carte blanche. These are so worth it.

After getting some time with my SA-9500 I decided to take it back to Paul for the full restoration. I just got it back from him today, and have listened to it for a couple of hours now. I love it! Paul did a good job with it. Thanks @paul79!

• Like 1