ScrappyDue's Custom Build Thread

Scrappydue

Roughly 8 months ago i bought all the tools to make my own subs. well after building a few subs i had been dying to try some speakers from Diysoundgroup. so i bought the fusion 8 towers and center. built them and absolutely loved them. but the downfall, IMO of my diy ventures has been finish. i duratex EVERYTHING. i do it cause 1)its easy 2)my wife doesn't mind it and 3)its extremely durable in a living room with a 5 year old running around. i was on pins and needles with the palladiums in the living room even know my son is VERY well behaved around speakers. 

Fast forward a few months and i got a buyer for the fusions and decided to try a three way design from a different designer. 

I ordered a trio of 893 speakers designed by a guy from avs forum known as tuxedocivic. he has designed quite a few speakers for the site. he's known for producing a more "forward" sound. 

I did not want to duratex these i wanted to try my hand at veneering. I researched pics of what the flat packs looked like for these since i could not do regular window bracing due to the three way horizontal. i knew the center brace needed to be different. so once i saw a pic of it i just mimicked it and made my own enclsoure. 

came up with this:

28060291745_ebd7c65a7c_c.jpg

after everything was put together i took a shot to see how much space this one was gonna take up. i did order crossover boards for this build as this one had about three times the part of my fusion build. 

28060290945_53a25140bd_c.jpg

wrapped with oak veneer

28060290355_48dd87a5a7_c.jpg

after a ten minute coat of dark walnut minwax, and four coats of gloss poly here was the finished product

28060289715_635a0014e2_c.jpg

not much for listening impressions so far except this baby has fantastic midrange, silky smooth highs, and the off axis response really is good. sounds great in every seat in my living room. will be doing some fun A/B'ing soon with some high end center channels.

• Like 8

after a ten minute coat of dark walnut minwax, and four coats of gloss poly here was the finished product

You say that in one quick sentence like it's a half-hour operation!  I know that takes days, even weeks if you allow the poly to cure for a couple of days between coats.  Seriously nice job on that.

+++

Scrappy knows I have a couple if DIYSoundgroup kits as well.  I usually paint mine black but I have couple that are still raw MDF because I'd like to try my hand at veneering. 

I swear I don't have idea how I would ever be able to get as nice a veneer job as you did, Scrappy.  Really well done!

Edited by wvu80

Hey, Scrap, fantastic!  I do look forward one day to seeing and hearing for myself.  And meeting you.
 thank you and your welcome anytime! [

quote name=MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE' timestamp='1467946132' post='2036550] That looks awesome Scrappy    .....If you were not 1/2 way across the country I'd come over and check it out    thank you!

Nice job!! You need to stop now, speaker building is a bad addiction.
lol just finished the cut list for the towers that will match this center

You say that in one quick sentence like it's a half-hour operation!  I know that takes days, even weeks if you allow the poly to cure for a couple of days between coats.  Seriously nice job on that.
i actually built this start to finish in 7 days. and that wasn't working on it non stop. tball games in there, work week. i was pretty proud of my time on these. will see how long the towers take me. betting closer to three weeks on them. lot more surface on them. plus big and heavy is so much harder to move around.  

Looks fantastic Scrappy! I would be interested in hearing your impressions vs. the Palladium center.
thanks buddy. i dont have the palladium anymore but i have a buddy who has a center i felt was better than the palladium and i will be able to demo this one against that and know for sure. 

Top notch!
:emotion-22: thanks!

Awesome job Scrappy!! I would like to say you inspired me to build my own subs but I know they would not come out nearly as well, especially the veneer on this center. You really knocked it out of the park
you should come hear some subs before you ditch them svs you worked so hard to track down. maybe you aren't missing much?? :ph34r:  

Looks great Scrappy. I'm planning to replace my front three with 1299s and volt 8s for the back 4. How hard was it to learn how to veneer? Looks like you've been doing it for awhile.

watched tons of videos. And took my time. My first veneer was a set of kg4 and those turned out just as good. Take your time and play by the rules. No short cuts and no hurrying, I don't see how you could mess it up.

On July 13, 2016 at 1:30 PM, CECAA850 said:
On July 7, 2016 at 9:23 PM, Scrappydue said:

Roughly 8 months ago i bought all the tools to make my own subs.

You got a Festool tracksaw didn't you?

i did. Don't remember who all voted for the track saw and who all voted for festool but I am SO GLAD I went with it. Plan on eventually upgrading a few other items to festool as well. Bought a festool sander. Would like a jigsaw from them next. Router would be cool but I'm pretty happy with my dewalt I bought. My ryobi jigsaw I cheaper out on is garbage though.

Looks fantastic! What'd you use to adhere the veneer?

its contact cement from veneer supplies.com

It's expensive but the guy swears up and down it is the BEST money can buy. Plus has zero odor. Which is nice. Bout to order more of it and a couple more sheets of veneer for future.......projects

i did.

I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.  I'd LOVE one of their jigsaws.  About 2 months ago my son-in-law and I went to a Festool roadshow in Houston.  They had an 18 wheeler whose sides folded out on display.  They had virtually all their tools on display, even the edge bander.  The demos were great.