ScrappyDue's Custom Build Thread

Scrappydue

Are you going to put a roundover on the baffle like the Salks?
alot of the kits come with roundovers. problem with that is unless you do a crazy thin grill, grills look stupid on them. so front will be flat and grills will have a 45 chamfer just like i did on my subs.  

You can learn on the job (I did) but it was nerve wracking.
couple youtube videos can teach you the basics. can practice tinning some wires and you would have it down pat. i learned in the military.

I had a $8 Ratshack soldering pencil that was inadequate. 
that was a problem for sure.

You need confidence and a decent soldering iron and you can successfully DIY.
nailed it.  
  • Like 1

got the other veneered and stained today. that was my goal and goal was met. had a bunch of other stuff to do to want to get any other stuff done. 

28542670186_fbf692cb56_c.jpg

28542672226_8d8fff6b79_c.jpg

celebrated after with a little bike ride. this kid is a champ all day at being good while daddy cranks away at speakers. 

28542668206_260e9fa139.jpg

28575306055_d4fc0f61b3_c.jpg

• Like 3

Great work
thank you!

Scrappy, where did you get the crossovers from? WVU said you can buy them pre assembled
there is a gentleman named matt on avs. his screen name is mtg90. he is a genius. he makes pcb boards for just about every model of speaker. you can have him build stuff for you. or you can just buy the boards. my fusion 8 models were a two way and first crossover build. i went all in and did it all myself. the 893 three way had about three times the amount of components and i just didn't want to sit and stare at the diagram from a week straight trying to make it work in my head. so i ordered the boards. think they were 18 each. so three was 54 shipped. the price difference was 18 shipped per board. and for an assembled board he charged 25$ per board plus shipping. so would have been probably 15-20 to ship. so 54 vs 90-95$. not a huge difference. if you didn't have solder and iron and all that already it wouldnt make sense. i am planning on building all kinds of stuff so i already had an iron and everything.  
  • Like 1

glued the baffles on with a very thin bead of glue very close the cutouts for everything so prevent seeping out on to the finish. 

28083887473_f57019614c_c.jpg

flipped over and ready for tape so i can paint the back and bottom. 

28593706652_8f2702bd53_c.jpg

all painted up. ports were fun.....not

28083885643_f54164ba8d_c.jpg

plinths got their feet and then installed 

28593705482_5562315b8c_c.jpg

• Like 1

and finally completed both cabs and had to have the wife help me carry them upstairs. guessing them to be about 110lbs each. 

28083883343_62f387d33f_c.jpg

28083882603_3d0b56baec_b.jpg

here is a pic of the slot port rounded over. i thought it turned out fantastic. 

28415172770_1c3029942f_c.jpg

and their final resting spot......for now. I'm debating on building some new subs that aren't quite so bulky. and of course implementing the oak on it somehow to tie it all together as a set. also surrounds will get new cabinets to match in the next month or so. grills for everything coming soon too. 

28415170230_94480dd638_b.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

and finally completed both cabs and had to have the wife help me carry them upstairs. guessing them to be about 110lbs each.

Beautiful work buddy!  Those look better than great.  I would love to hear them with the center.  Enjoy!!!

• Like 1