RF7 + RC7 vs. RP-260F + RP440C

InVeNtOr

fellow K-Heads,

i need some advice....i have not listened to the new speakers, RP-260F and RP-440C.  has anyone who has listened to the original RF7/RC7 and the ones i'm considering have an opinion on the comparison? i'm asking this because someone has an interest in buying my set up.  i understand mine are modified and not modified like any other on this forum, so a base line is hard to have.  what i'm struggling with is, once my "babies" are gone, they are gone.  i've spent so much time, energy, and money one them, their value to me is much higher than resale. as i type this, even if the potential owner would give me super high end, top dollar, what i would sell them for, i don't think i would.  i never thought i would feel this way about speakers. 

so in a nut shell, are the "new" speakers any good? worth the switch? i know Klipsch is a business and they need to keep designing new stuff to sell, so i do get it.

thanks for any advice.....

i understand mine are modified and not modified like any other on this forum, so a base line is hard to have. what i'm struggling with is, once my "babies" are gone, they are gone. i've spent so much time, energy, and money one them, their value to me is much higher than resale. as i type this, even if the potential owner would give me super high end, top dollar, what i would sell them for, i don't think i would. i never thought i would feel this way about speakers.

Dude! As a guy who watched you online rebuilding your speakers, I can't imagine this would even be an option unless you needed the cash. Heck, my speakers below I picked up at the store over a dozen years ago and after all of my auditioning over the years will say I wouldn't sell them for less than I paid and it will be more-than-likely my wife selling them on Ebay after I'm gone . B)  {Note: She won't be selling them here because I told her not to except anything less and after my demise don't want her haggling with those of you that think her price is too high. ;)}

• Like 1

wow, didn't think the new stuff was so bad.

i do need the cash but that's the heart of the issue.  i'm big into mountain biking and have recently got into road biking.  i need some cash to buy my first roadie, but i'm currently selling other items first.  why this is so hard for me is because these speakers will literally last forever and my new(ish) road bike has maybe a 5 year shelf life.  

by the math, if i did get what i asked for, then i could buy the RP speakers and have a big chunk of cash left over to assist in the roadie purchase. Sound Distributors has the 3 RP speakers for less than $1K.

so let me ask this, which mains/center will compete with my current set? are the RP-280F even close?

Good luck to whatever you decide, but it seems you are asking a pretty subjective question which only you can answer after listening to the speakers you are considering....For the record, I can't remember what all you did but it seems you bought some torn up speakers and turned them into an awesome setup. I guess if someone is interested in these speakers they could use the search function to see all of the work that went into them. :)

or just follow the links in my sig :)

oh, i know it's very subjective, but that's why i asked. i haven't heard the new stuff or even know where to find it locally. i'm only 1% considering selling them anyway. 

yes, i did take some beat up beasts and make them sing like an opera star!

wow, didn't think the new stuff was so bad.

The new stuff ISN'T bad. Not at all. Your stuff is just way better!

The RF-7 is literally on a higher level of performance that the RP series is not even trying to compete with or replace.

When the RF-7iii comes out, then you'll have something to think about.

• Like 2

As an original RF-7 owner I understand why they brought the RF-7IIs back after the RF-83s, but don't feel that an "RF-7III" is in the works--There may be some aesthetic improvements that could be made but unless their mission was to cut production costs I don't see them building a  superior speaker at this price point.

That's my 2 cents.

Edited by Zen Traveler

so let me ask this, which mains/center will compete with my current set? are the RP-280F even close?

You'd be going from an actual compression driver to a normal tweeter, just doesn't sound quite the same.

Also the veneer would probably be a significant downgrade if your current ones are in good shape. I'd say at least go with the RP-280FA's if you did this so that the veneer situation wasn't a factor, plus you'd have built in Atmos. I don't think you'd be happy with the normal 280's if you're used to real wood veneer.

As an original RF-7 owner I understand why they brought the RF-7IIs back after the RF-83s, but don't feel that an "RF-7III" is in the works--There may be some aesthetic improvements that could be made but unless their mission was to cut production costs I don't see them building a  superior speaker at this price point.

That's my 2 cents.

Alright, then how about an RP-380f? :-D

That's my 2 cents.

@MattSER - As someone considering a set of RF-7's with upgraded crossovers, I'd be interested in your opinion as to what the RF-7 II has over the originals.

I've owned a lot of Klipsch, heard even more. The rf7 is maybe my favorite (over all) up till now. I had a pair for a dozen years, loved em. The rc7 rules their centers. I had a rc64 with some 83's, nice but the rc7 was more my taste, big !

Edited by Fish
  • Like 2

That's my 2 cents.

@MattSER - As someone considering a set of RF-7's with upgraded crossovers, I'd be interested in your opinion as to what the RF-7 II has over the originals.

I've never really sat down with RF-7ii's, so I couldn't say. I did have a couple of critical issues with the original RF-7s that are likely completely remedied with upgraded crossovers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

so, just to add closure....

when the time came for me to actually say yes or no about selling my 7's, i almost threw up.  i was literally shaking and really felt i was going to vomit.  i told him no, and honestly i wouldn't sell them even at full MSRP value.  i would gladly help him find his own and even mod them, but i wasn't letting go of my 7's for anything.

• Like 3

so, just to add closure....

when the time came for me to actually say yes or no about selling my 7's, i almost threw up.  i was literally shaking and really felt i was going to vomit.  i told him no, and honestly i wouldn't sell them even at full MSRP value.  i would gladly help him find his own and even mod them, but i wasn't letting go of my 7's for anything.

Good choice! 

You'd be going from an actual compression driver to a normal tweeter, just doesn't sound quite the same.

Also the veneer would probably be a significant downgrade if your current ones are in good shape. I'd say at least go with the RP-280FA's if you did this so that the veneer situation wasn't a factor, plus you'd have built in Atmos. I don't think you'd be happy with the normal 280's if you're used to real wood veneer.

I know it doesn't matter now since you decided not to sell but I couldn't agree more. Some time ago I was looking for a center and because money was an issue I decided to go with the RP-450c instead of the RC-64ii and having it sit between my La Scala's with the plastic face and fake wood veneer was constantly making me upset. In the end I sold it and went with the RC-64ii partially because people said it would be a better match sound wise and partially because of how much nicer the wood veneer was on the RC-64ii.

The RF-7 series has always been one of my favorite looking speakers. If it wasn't for the going with the heritage line I would have most likely went with the RF-7's myself.

• Like 1

I have the 64ii and the 450c. I'm actually keeping the 450 because it holds my TV whereas the 64 doesn't. Sound-wise they are very close. They both need to be crossed over to a sub at 60+hz so that levels the playing field a bit. The 64 is better, yes. However, the 450 is damn good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Grizzog