VRD's and matching NBS for sale no need to settle for less!

2Bmusic

Whats going on, no offers no nuttin'   some one.... is there any one out there?

It's been 4 days, you're asking for a decent chunk of cash, not everyone will jump at these. I would like to hear some of Matthew's ToolShed gear, that is suppose to be magnificent too and they look better IMO

Mark

• Like 2

Whats going on, no offers no nuttin'   some one.... is there any one out there?

It's been 4 days, you're asking for a decent chunk of cash, not everyone will jump at these. I would like to hear some of Matthew's ToolShed gear, that is suppose to be magnificent too and they look better IMO

Mark

I found some pics. Certainly looks are important, but they can deceive... big time 

Seriously folks, if you have not heard sound from> NBS preamp with great tubes, into a pair of VRD's using magnequest transformers, please refrain from being the antagonist here!   I know you do not know me, and I realize you think I have to say something to get my equipment to a new home. .... but....Out of respect for your self and others. Geeesh. Isn't the world filled enough with this sort of thing?  

I'm not being an antagonist, I think Craig makes some great gear, I had him do some work on a couple of pieces. I don't quite understand "out of respect for yourself and others" My point is that there is a lot of terrific gear out there, saying one type or another is the absolute best would be a preference not a law or principle. In order, it is generally stated that there are laws, principles and then preferences. Most teachers would agree with this statement. I haven't heard either Tool Shed or Craig's, but MY preference is the look of ToolShed's. And you have to agree, something has to look good to YOUR eye or it will not be as pleasing.

At least in my line of work, that is a principle that the majority of people follow

Mark

Whats going on, no offers no nuttin' some one.... is there any one out there?

Mark

Matthews ToolShed gear looks awesome that's for sure .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Most times... and this especially true with audio... you have to be prepared to take a hit in terms of valuation.

Unless you are willing to wait it out and carry the capitalization yourself, you need to be willing to accept what the market will bare.

That being said, these are certainly desirable.

Edited by Schu

Seriously, unless some one has listened to this amp/ pre combo with Magnequest Transformers,  into super good speakers like horn loaded ones, you have no idea what you are missing. Even the master Craig himself, says he would love to have a pair of these with the uber expensive Magneguest!!!!

One of the forum members from the forum's infancy days had a pair of Welborne labs 2A3 Moondogs with the MagneQuest output transformers and it seemed that in his view, the MagneQuest output transformers were a substantial, and very critical component to the overall sound.  Also, I tend to agree about the significance of output transformers as I have used a few different types of the MagneQuest transformers for single-ended amplifier designs as upgrades myself and each time the improvements were fairly significant.    

For example, I picked up a pair of old stock Bottlehead Parmour amps using the parafeed circuit on the secondary market for a price too good to pass up and upgraded them with a pair of MagneQuest BH-5 full nickel output transformers and BH-6 plate chokes.  One of my favorite upgrades of output transformers is the upgrade using MagneQuest FS-030 single-ended air-gapped transformers on my 300b DRD mono blocks.  I've given some serious thought to upgrading my VRD mono blocks with MagneQuest but that upgrade needs to wait its turn behind a few pressing life situations that need to be fully worked through. 

From my understanding Craig may be out of chassis parts for building new NBS pre amplifiers; however, I am aware of one other pair of VRD mono blocks with the MagneQuest output transformer upgrade.  Some on the forum should certainly recognize the name associated with the forum quotes excerpted below and some may have read the review on the Magnequest blog from our forum member, that solid state amplifier repair maestro extraordinaire, Paul79 of Many Moons Audio.  

http://magnequest.blogspot.com/2016/01/nos-valves-vrd-amplifier-with.html

"The amps are like a religious experience man. Clear, clean, and flowing music. From top to bottom, sound is more even handed, more dimensional, and just plain sounds good. The stock transformers were somewhat rougher sounding and a bit tipped up or hot in the presence regions. I didn't really notice that until I heard these! Such important musical improvements these make. I am hearing the most realistic displays of depth I have ever heard out of 2 speakers. Absolutely fantastic. You done good, no doubt about it. Tell Mr. MagneQuest his transformers are f*in musical instruments."

These amps have more staying power in my system than anything else. The Magnequest upgrade takes these to a place where only the best amplifiers dwell. No joke.

Whoever got these is DONE buying amps... I have the same setup myself, with the Magnequest Iron, and they are unbelievable.

The NOS Valves gear is no joke. I have heard many amps and preamps, and these leave nothing to want really. They are that damn good. to experience them personally is really something. I had a friend hear my system recently, someone that sets up turntables all over the world in world class systems, and he told me that my system is the most emotional sounding system he has ever experienced. I completely agree.

As I understand it, the new output trafos were a collaborative effort between him and Mr Magnequest. I'll say that whatever recipe they dreamed up WORKS!

• Like 2

Thank you Fjd!  I am heart broke to have to sell these. I am having a great deal of difficulty putting in to words how nice these amps sound. Your post helped greatly in that regard.

I wonder if such nice amps will ever be available again?  

Try selling them on AudioGoN. Just say you have to sell because your financial situation has changed. Keep the ad simple. Mention parts and features, and say it's the best you've personally heard. You should probably sell them separately, but mention that the matching piece is also for sale in a separate ad. Refrain from the hype, it actually sets off the BS alarm meter - as this thread aptly demonstrates.

• Like 1

+1 for separation... they might be great together, but they are most certainly more financially palatable separately.

One more for hyperbole coloring the sale... like the sound from a great amplifier, you don't want any coloration.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

VRD's speak for themselves as does the NBS.  

Built by a lover of Klipsch.  

I remember threads where VRD owners would go on and on about the systems they have used and the VRD was their final stop.  It is certainly mine!

Try selling them on AudioGoN. Just say you have to sell because your financial situation has changed. Keep the ad simple. Mention parts and features, and say it's the best you've personally heard. You should probably sell them separately, but mention that the matching piece is also for sale in a separate ad. Refrain from the hype, it actually sets off the BS alarm meter - as this thread aptly demonstrates.

I agree best bet is to sell separately.  Better chance of getting higher prices for each.

Unfortunately..........and I hate to say this but believe it is true.......this is sort of like the guy who customizes his Harley with lots of chrome and high performance parts.........but finds out when he wants to sell that it's actually not worth much more than a stock unit unless you can hook someone who's into exactly what you have.  It's simply not worth the sum of the price of the parts.

Sometimes, it's best to recognize and price more realistically.  I could see these selling quickly at a more realistic price. Sorry, no offense intended.  I understand you haven't had them very long and it's a lot of dough to swallow.  Best of luck.  

Yes, the seller might have better luck on Audiogon or by separating pieces.  I for one would not want to separate mine... the VRD's and NBS have matching cabinets plus I would have no use for one without the other. What seems "best" to you might not be best to others.   If I kept the NBS and sold the VRD's or vice versa the remaining piece would only be a painful reminder of what I no longer have.  If he becomes more motivated to sell then he might want to consider other options but I can certainly understand setting a price and people can either buy it or get lost!

I hope the seller can manage to keep it without financial burden.  If it does sell then I would suggest that he be sure to use all the original packaging so they can travel safely to their new destination.   The new owner would then be able to forget about amps and pre-amps while they move on to look at a new DAC or fixing their room issues.  

• Like 1