All audio & non-essesntials on hold - 2 years

Matthews

Modern engines are sooo much better than the engines of yesteryear. When talking GM products, anything 350 based is 50s technology. Go with an LS based powerplant and it opens up much more potential for HP.

I disagree.

Modern engines are nothing but cheap lightweight versions of what they once were.

Modern electronics maybe, it depends but its going to cost you.

You can easily get 500+ horsepower on a 350 block with a carburetor and electronic ignition, if i were on a budget the money saved would be used to update the suspension, trans and rear end to accommodate higher horsepower and RPM.

If money were no option i would go with a inter-cooled turbo but i don't think for a street machine it would be warranted.

What do you do to hop up a modern engine? Add nitrous and change the computer chip. How romantic.

JJK

• Like 2

Modern engines are sooo much better than the engines of yesteryear. When talking GM products, anything 350 based is 50s technology. Go with an LS based powerplant and it opens up much more potential for HP.

I disagree.

Modern engines are nothing but cheap lightweight versions of what they once were.

Modern electronics maybe, it depends but its going to cost you.

You can easily get 500+ horsepower on a 350 block with a carburetor and electronic ignition, if i were on a budget the money saved would be used to update the suspension, trans and rear end to accommodate higher horsepower and RPM.

If money were no option i would go with a inter-cooled turbo but i don't think for a street machine it would be warranted.

What do you do to hop up a modern engine? Add nitrous and change the computer chip. How romantic.

JJK

Sorry, but he is correct!

Dart Machine makes brand new aftermarket blocks and heads for the LS small block Chevy and aftermarket cranks as well. The aftermarket LS heads offer way bigger flow numbers!

I have seen some really fast 454 cubic inch small block LS engines, in the flesh at drag week!

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 2

Good choice on the 72. I think in the long run it will be considered significant as the last year for hidden wipers, chrome bumpers on both ends, functional rear vents, removeable rear window and a decent compression ratio. Enjoy.

A buddy of mine sold my green 72 for me in 82 and told the buyer that, obviously the odo had rolled over as it showed around 50K. He neglected to mention that it had rolled over twice. Sold it for the $5000 I'd paid for it.

Went thru a lot of half-shaft u-joints, rear spindles and bearings and rear spring main leaves until I switched to a fiberglass rear spring.

It was my IBM service vehicle and would push thru deep snow like no other vehicle I've owned.

• Like 1

I disagree.

If you were gonna throw down some bucks, look at this:

https://www.msdperformance.com/products/fuel_systems/atomic_efi/atomic_efi_tbi/parts/2900

It's way better than the Holley commander I used. I threw one on a fast burn 385 (385HP/385PF) and it tunes itself. Wonderfully easy, and pushing better curves. $2,500 is a lot, but it allows you to take any circle track motor and throw it in any car. The TB is 1,000 cfm.

Here's a nice 383 crate: http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/sp383.html

Edited by mustang guy

I used to smoke Corvettes in my '74 Trans Am. Not so much out of the gate, but on the highway all the Vettes had to back off at about 100 mph. The nose started to lift off the pavement due to the aerodynamics. The Trans Am air dams actually pushed the car down giving you more tire at higher speeds. Miss that car!

I am saving to do the V8 conversion on Judy's '86 Fiero. Update the suspension. Just not much you can do with that '80's boxy dash, though.

Man I saw the coolest build just now on Iron Resurrection. It's called the Barbecue Bird. A 1973 Firebird.

13150941_1748465928730315_604044965_n.jp

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

I know this has been addressed before, but I'm old and forget easily.  How do you insert photos into the body of a post, as opposed to attaching them?

If you want to post your own pics, then open an account an Imgur and copy the link from that online account for that picture into the Image popup:

aeI7oYN.png

If you are wanting to post a picture from google or something, you need to copy the link to the JPG or GIF or PNG:

2TUHJ29.png

Hope that helps...

• Like 1

8dNRhGc.jpg

Well, if you can do it, so can I.  Cancel the 6 yo.

I pasted the following into the Image Properties field:

http://imgur.com/8dNRhGc

I get the following error message: You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

Keep the 6 yo on hold.

That was easy.  Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn.  Put the 6 yo to bed.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

Test run on your advisement to better photo's, "MG"

103006_1.jpg

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

edit: WooHoo - works well, thanks Man :emotion-21:

Now, what about personal photos? Is there a way to do the same?

Open an account at Imgur and upload your pictures there. It's easy to get a link for a picture you uploaded.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1