All audio & non-essesntials on hold - 2 years

Matthews

You can easily get 500+ horsepower on a 350 block with a carburetor and electronic ignition, if i were on a budget the money saved would be used to update the suspension, trans

He can get a Chevy ZZ-4 350 cu.in. crate motor that comes complete with carb, distributor, plugs, water pump etc.that puts out 350 HP for under $4,000, plus it drops right in. I know a couple of guys running those engines in Vettes and hot rods that are pretty fast.

350 horsepower will move a Corvette pretty well, maybe great for a daily driver but would leave me looking for more.

You can easily get 500+ horsepower on a 350 block with a carburetor and electronic ignition, if i were on a budget the money saved would be used to update the suspension, trans

He can get a Chevy ZZ-4 350 cu.in. crate motor that comes complete with carb, distributor, plugs, water pump etc.that puts out 350 HP for under $4,000, plus it drops right in. I know a couple of guys running those engines in Vettes and hot rods that are pretty fast.

That's the CT350. Almost 400 lb ft torque. A real bargain. PS: carb not included in this price: http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/19258602/10002/-1

Has anybody tried this new Holley FI yet? It's only $1,000 which is very reasonable...  http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/510/550-510/10002/-1

Carb? Carb? I'm surprised you all still know what it is. Do you have a picture?

JJK

Seems like the younger crowd gets scared away when you actually have to use something called a choke on cold starts.

I always ran Holley's on my machines and never had an issue after initial tuning and adjustments, just don't buy some crappy worn out rebuilt model and you will be good to go.

From my tumultuous experience with carburetors, I liked the Carter carbs best. Even old ones... They were simple and they worked. Holley was good till it needed a rebuild kit, then it was a huge pain. Rochesters were even worse than Holley IMO. I have been defeated by both brands. As for foreign carbs, I like Keihin most. Right now there is one old retired engineer from Dupont who can rebuild about any carb on the planet. When I have carb troubles, I call Russ...

As far as chokes go, sometimes the carb is simply tuned too lean on the idle circuit and is seems cold natured. Easy fix with a new jet and maybe some adjustment on the AP circuit. Setting the choke on a carb that has the wrong idle jet and an AP that isn't set right is like putting the cart before the horse.  At least this has been my experience. 

I ran an Carter AFB on my 64 Dodge Custom 880 with a hopped up 383 and it did OK, probably needed a bit more CFM with the hotter cam grind i installed but it could still smoked the tires for a half of a block and was reasonably fuel efficient. Ran high 13's in the quarter mile.

Luckily i was taught how to repair carburetors early on by many different automotive professionals for a perspective of many different views and the rest was self taught through trial and error.

While the gross and net horsepower change is a large factor to consider so is the fact compression was lowered, aggressive camshaft profiles were reduced by most manufactures along with many casting changes and emission controls over the next few years and by 1975 they were just a shell of what they once were.

To say they were essentially the same is not true with the exception they were still V-8's.

AFAIK, the low-compression engines started showing up in 1973 or 1974 and were around for the rest of the decade.

Cars are much more powerful nowadays, and they're more reliable, too.  Jay Leno got one of the first Hellcat Challengers and compared it to his 70s model.  The 2015 model has a typical modern long warranty, while the early one had a warranty of only 90 days.  The early Vipers made only 400 horsepower, then there was the 500 hp model, and now the 2016 ACR version puts out 645 horsepower.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the new ones use less fuel than the early ones as well.

Here's the segment.  Jay drives a lot of fast cars and has picked up some driving skills in the process.

Jay Leno's 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWMjR3r-nsI

Compression dropped pretty much across the board in 1972.

I give Jay Leno no respect with the exception of keeping some vehicles on the road that otherwise would probably be junked.

Once electronic ignition came about reliability became much better, points would wear out, were not super reliable and would change your timing as they wore.

Newer cars should be slightly more efficient due to fuel injection, properly maintained fuel injection anyways.

Well let's see, a new Corvette comes with the following stuff:

1...All aluminum engine block (cast iron liners)

2...6 bolt mains with helicoiled threads.

3...lightweight aluminum pistons with raised rings and thinner rings and full floating pins.

4...steel crank

5...reverse coolant flow to allow higher compression.

6...tuned intake manifold runners

7...dry sump

8...coil for each cylinder

9...drivetrain ratios set up for maximum acceleration and speed.

10...aluminum computer controlled transmission and differential.

11...fuel and timing computer controlled

12...aluminum heads with stellite valve seats, helicoiled rocker studs and cast iron guides.

13...aluminum water pump.

14...tuned exhaust system

15...fibreglass composite springs.

16...magical shocks with humoungous disc brakes.

My memory is failing so maybe I left out some things. This is all the stuff we used to do in the 60's to hop up the horsepower.

JJK

Well let's see, a new Corvette comes with the following stuff:

1...All aluminum engine block (cast iron liners)

2...6 bolt mains with helicoiled threads.

3...lightweight aluminum pistons with raised rings and thinner rings and full floating pins.

4...steel crank

5...reverse coolant flow to allow higher compression.

6...tuned intake manifold runners

7...dry sump

8...coil for each cylinder

9...drivetrain ratios set up for maximum acceleration and speed.

10...aluminum computer controlled transmission and differential.

11...fuel and timing computer controlled

12...aluminum heads with stellite valve seats, helicoiled rocker studs and cast iron guides.

13...aluminum water pump.

14...tuned exhaust system

15...fibreglass composite springs.

16...magical shocks with humoungous disc brakes.

My memory is failing so maybe I left out some things. This is all the stuff we used to do in the 60's to hop up the horsepower.

JJK

You left out a car payment most can't afford and insurance payment that takes anything leftover.

• Like 1

Those British guys on GBs "Top Gear" hated to admit it,  but nothing in Europe is touching the Corvette Stingray $$$/performance.

LS vs SBC? There is no comparison. This Nelson Racing LSX 454 is a monster.

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 1

Those British guys on GBs "Top Gear" hated to admit it,  but nothing in Europe is touching the Corvette Stingray $$$/performance.

LS vs SBC? There is no comparison. This Nelson Racing LSX 454 is a monster.

Turbo's are cheating. :tongue:

Besides, i have seen small block Chevrolet's put out more power than that with turbo's.

If money is no option the sky is the limit but a standard small block will bolt right in without modifications and anybody who has done engine swaps knows they will nickel and dime your pockets clean.

Besides, i have seen small block Chevrolet's put out more power than that

Come on now Jason. This ain't subwoofers we're talking here. :D  Let's see a 1800+HP pre LS SBC based engine! :rolleyes:

Google is your friend.

I easily found a link with a 1750 HP SBC complete turnkey available, look around elsewhere if you have any doubts.