All audio & non-essesntials on hold - 2 years

Matthews

• Moderators

Those things are very nose heavy and overheat with factory parts.

Just my opinion but you would be better off with a modified small block, easily beat that 72 454 smogger power plant and handle better in turns.

I like the way you are thinking though. :emotion-55:

Wish i had a few of the rides i gave away when younger.

LT1

• Like 1

Is that a true W code Vette? Look at the 5th digit of the VIN. If it's W then it's a true LS5 454 ci. 

The engine number last 5 digits should match the last 5 digits of the VIN if it's a matching numbers car.

The HP ratings of all domestic cars tanked in 1971. The 454 in 1970 was rated with 390 or 465 HP options and those numbers were underrated. The 1972 454 was rated at a meager 270 HP. Food for thought.

I believe Mighty Favog is referring to the lyrics, "Well I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes . . ." rather than suggesting that any Corvette came with a 409/348.

Makes sense, have not heard that song for eon's.

• Like 1

Is that a true W code Vette? Look at the 5th digit of the VIN. If it's W then it's a true LS5 454 ci. 

The engine number last 5 digits should match the last 5 digits of the VIN if it's a matching numbers car.

The HP ratings of all domestic cars tanked in 1971. The 454 in 1970 was rated with 390 or 465 HP options and those numbers were underrated. The 1972 454 was rated at a meager 270 HP. Food for thought.

Not only that but the added weight takes a rather decent handling sports car and turns it in to a nose heavy pig.

Yeah, I have thought of this.  The car I actually end up with will likely have a modded 350.  Not concerned about having a numbers matching machine.  That car pictured was just for reference.  Key requirements: side pipes, 4 speed manual, T-tops, rally wheels.  I have a lot of time to think about this and am confident the right car will present itself

How about a 1969.5 ZL-1 Corvette instead?

LOL - YES!!!  ...a little outside of my budget though, Roger.   $100K+  :(

Not only that but the added weight takes a rather decent handling sports car and turns it in to a nose heavy pig.

Hadn't thought of the adverse effects of the added weight of the 454 BB.  I just like the hood. 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

Yeah, I have thought of this.  The car I actually end up with will likely have a modded 350.  Not concerned about having a numbers matching machine.  That car pictured was just for reference.  Key requirements: side pipes, 4 speed manual, T-tops, rally wheels.  I have a lot of time to think about this and am confident the right car will present itself

LOL - YES!!!  ...a little outside of my budget though, Roger.   $100K+  :(

Hadn't thought of the adverse effects of the added weight of the 454 BB.  I just like the hood. 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

The big blocks always had a 3 degree rake on the shark style starting in 1968. Why? GM said without the rake it took 120 more horsepower to do 100 MPH.

JJK

JJK

• Like 2

You've read people recommend to others, to start with some Heresy's and then upgrade to Cornwalls...then upgrade to...???

I think you should buy yourself a VW Beetle, then upgrade to a Pinto, then upgrade to...

Nah....  save the nickles and get the dream!

:emotion-21:

• Like 3

You've read people recommend to others, to start with some Heresy's and then upgrade to Cornwalls...then upgrade to...???

I think you should buy yourself a VW Beetle, then upgrade to a Pinto, then upgrade to...

Now I'm worried that Cornwalls will explode in a rear end collision  :lol:

• Like 4

What happens if a set of La scalas come up at $300? Surely you won't just walk by them, leaving them sad and lonely...

DOH!!! :huh:

...if they are able to contribute to fund "Ramen Noodles" in the end - you betcha!    Be hard to walk away from and they will have to be CHEAP

I think it was in Y2K that the Vette was finally a 50/50 weight distribution vehicle. It was considered a huge improvement in cornering. Pardon if the term is wrong, but it was a front-mid-engine car. Transmission and axle blended together in the back like a beetle (transaxle). Big beefy wide tires in the back to "help" hook up and lower oversteer. And some pretty wide tires in the front to help reduce understeer. 

For looks and coolness I like the 67 most. I have never driven one, but I figure they handle like most other 60's muscle cars. 

• Like 1

Now I'm worried that Cornwalls will explode in a rear end collision  :lol:

Haven't heard an exploding Pinto joke in years!

• Like 2

colterphoto1, on 08 Jul 2016 - 9:00 PM, said: that's a funny name for a car.. Maybe not if Matt buys it...

love it !!!

Missouri license plate # "RMN NDLS" B)

MLC-Car1.jpg

Apparently, this fellow needs a more powerful subwoofer to solve his crisis.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Forget the 72, or an LT-1

Roger

I shied away from the ZL1 and L88 as it would be in the $500,000 to 1mil range? Certainly more than a house.

An LT-1 is very much in the realm of reality and one of their best small block packages, 350ci 370 hp.

• Like 2