Heresy Used for Overhead Atmos Speakers?

Youthman

• Moderators

@Wakejunkie asked me this today

I'm thinking about building a box that fits flush between the floor joist for the Heresy speakers. 

I just saw that my receiver supports Atmos. Heresy overhead Atmos speakers should be pretty sweet. Your thoughts?

I know zero about Atmos so I thought I would ask the community.  I realize that if you are wanting to use a speaker to bounce sound off of your ceiling for atmos, that requires specific type speakers but what if you are mounting them in the ceiling?  Could Heresy's be used as in-ceiling Atmos speakers? 

In the pics below, you can see some of the floor joists in the ceiling of his Basement HT.

custom-home-theater2.jpg

home-theater-panorama1.jpg

fireplace2.jpg

Screenshot.jpg

custom-home-theater1.jpg

Edited by Youthman

I'm sure it's possible but it's quite the overkill solution plus dispersion would be all jacked up.  If you want a pro style Atmos speaker, look at the Volt coaxials from the DIY sound group and be done with it.  Would save a stupid amount of money and most likely sound better.  Heresy's are cool but I dunno about stuffing them in a ceiling.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I saw this story for distributed mode speakers in a parts express catalogue a while back and it looks like it would be good for an atmos application. It wont have the dynamics of a horn loaded speaker but it makes up for it in non-localization and omni-directional dispersion which is most important for atmos ceiling channels.

http://www.parts-express.com/ssv2_pg28_building-a-simple-2x2-distributed-mode-loudspeaker

Its pretty much hard insulation coupled to an exciter which could be easily blended into the ceiling. I have heard some people talk about using these as surrounds to great effect but you will probably be the first to do them in atmos. They are cheap to build as well so you cant really go wrong.

If you wanna stay Klipsch and want big sound I'd look into the kpt-8000's. If I ever go atmos those will be what I will get. Otherwise volts as mentioned above are a great candidate. I have volt 6 for surrounds in my living room upstairs.

His ceilings are pretty high. I would go for it. Yes it would be overkill, but Shawn is the King of overkill. Just look at that room!

Atmos wants wide dispersion. They want 90x90 or even 120x120 horns, etc... Better yet, bounce the sound from low so the dispersion is that much better. But I say, why the heck not? Other than the obvious reason that somebody has to sit under a Heresy.  :)

• Like 3

Atmos wants wide dispersion. They want 90x90 or even 120x120 horns, etc... Better yet, bounce the sound from low so the dispersion is that much better. But I say, why the heck not? Other than the obvious reason that somebody has to sit under a Heresy.   :)

The biggest problem is that two Atmos channels isn't all that great, such as 5/7.1.2.  Really need to go for 4 channel Atmos if possible if you want to do it right.  At that point, vertical dispersion of the horns on the Heresy comes into play, not just horizontal.  You've got maybe 40 degrees to play with there which is a bit narrow for overheads that are out in front of you.  Plus, well, you'd have nearly 200 pounds worth of Heresy's in the ceiling.  If you go with only two of them and put them on top of you, that tweeter on the Heresy is probably going to be pretty piercing/bright/aggressive.  

The other theoretical issue is that the voicing of the Heresy is not going to match the mains much at all.  How much this matters is debatable but ideally you'd match the ceiling and surrounds as much as possible so that panning through the objects in the mix is seamless.