Will it buff right out?

Karson suggested the Kilz will take out the smoke smell, and then some Duratex will help.  That sounds promising.  Expensive, but promising.  At $70 a gallon (if you buy an entire gallon, by the quart $120 a gallon) that Duratex is expensive!

+++

For $300 for the pair I would guess you could part it out and recoup your investment, but you won't make anything which I'm sure you already know.  I respect you for trying to save these from the landfill.  I feel the same way, but you really have your work cut out for you with this little project.

To reduce smoke smell, remove both horms. drivers and scrub w Dawn in and out.

Well, obviously, keep driver throats dry.

Woofer is sealed up except for face, should be ok smell wise anyway.

Wash inside of mid/ hi space/ dry quickly after wiping w fan.

If deemed necessary, paint it with Kilz original.before re installing mid and hi and xover.

Xover should be fine to wash w Dawn solution w brush, blow dry w compressor, then dry in front of fan few days.

What I would do anyway.

I used to make strawberry smoothies in masse for an annual church function,

Would dowse and rinse motor base of blender thoroughly before put away till next year.

Never any problem getting the electrics soaked, just maybe bearing lube degradation.    Lars

All I see is Bill Murray in caddy shack saying "I don't think the heavy stuff is gonna come down for quite a while"

Probably won't buff out but unless the entire thickness of the plywood is compromised, you should be able to fill in with bonds or similar to get a solid substrate.

• Like 1

Actually nowadays, what with not getting change back from a dollar at McDonalds for some time now, $70/ gallon is not bad, even though due to applied mils thickness due to viscosity it goes quickly.

High quality "varnish" goes for way more that that nowadays .    Lars

(Duratex at) $70/ gallon is not bad, even though due to applied mils thickness due to viscosity it goes quickly.

I've never liked the look of Duratex, it's a little too industrial looking for my tastes.  I prefer a latex or even an oil based paint in satin black even though it would definitely need two coats, maybe more.

Still, with the smoke and fire damage, Duratex hides a lot of flaws and does look like the obvious choice.

Edited by wvu80